Holidays 2016 - Yes or No

Options
autumn2012_2
autumn2012_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
edited 24 August 2015 at 4:34PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi, Im not sure whether to book a family holiday for next year. Should I spend the money paying off my debt instead? We both work hard so Im torn with what to do.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• HaydenB
    HaydenB Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its really up to you. If you want to be free of debt as soon as possible then no holiday. I am a holiday kind of person and see them as reward for working hard throughout the year so, if you can manage it, take one :D
  • autumn2012_2
    Options
    Thanks HaydenB! I love holidays and we both love spending time with the kids however I think if I spend that 1000 pounds or so paying off my debt - will that be better in the long run.. I can probably budget for one so it doesnt go on CC however I really want to be debt free..
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    If you could afford it then go for it but personally i would try and pay of the debt first

Imagine how you would feel being totally debt free? You would enjoy your hol even more with no worries and the added bonus you could treat yourself whilst on holiday and not feel guilty!

Why not look some UK holidays, yes it isnt the same as abroad but there are lots of places you can go in the UK and still have fun, if the weather is nice its an added bonus but there are plenty of things in the UK for free to keep kids entertained, beach, parks, museums , sight seeing etc and also check the newspapers when they do the £9,50 holidays , i know a few people with kids who have booked these and had a brilliant time, yeah its not abroad but if you scour the web for discounts, bargains and free days out etc you could do it on a budget and then once your debt free really enjoy your holiday!

I know how you feel though i currently want to go to LA, Vegas and Florida for my Birthday but whilst i am in debt i have decided to pay the debts of and then go once they are paid

Another tip is enter compeititions if you dont already, its a long shot but you may win some nice holidays there are hundreds out there and yes not everyone wins but you have to be in it to win it plus its quite fun winning, i have won alsorts since starting comping and the main reason i did it was to make more money, although i will say it takes time and effort and your not guaranteed to win but hey gotta be in it to win it

Good luck what ever you decide :-)
  • sugarcube84
    Options
    We have been on the sun holidays while paying our debts, cheap accommodation and entertainment passes if you choose your park carefully. Save up the tesc0 vouchers and exchange for up to 4 x the value for days and meals out when you are there and then eat in pack picnics the rest of the time which comes out of your normal budget as you would eat at home anyway.

Now the end is in sight for us I have booked a holiday abroad to help us down the home stretch, deposit budgeted and paid for and the balance to be paid after we are df.

Best of both worlds!!
    DFD September 2017
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As with pretty much all of my debt and money-saving, I've found compromise works better than cold turkey.

The easiest way to do this would be to tone down your holiday plans. Do you usually go abroad, stay in a resort and go for two weeks? Tone it down. Stay in the UK for a start (no flights to worry about it) and visit somewhere you can drive to. Depending on what you like doing this could be something like Centre Parcs (though not very cheap) or a city break or whatever you like.
  • autumn2012_2
    Options
    greensalad wrote: »
    As with pretty much all of my debt and money-saving, I've found compromise works better than cold turkey.

The easiest way to do this would be to tone down your holiday plans. Do you usually go abroad, stay in a resort and go for two weeks? Tone it down. Stay in the UK for a start (no flights to worry about it) and visit somewhere you can drive to. Depending on what you like doing this could be something like Centre Parcs (though not very cheap) or a city break or whatever you like.

Well we normally go for 1 week twice a year. 1 abroad (£1500+) and 1 at home (£600) - I feel this is abit to lavish at this time and although I love going away and having family time I just dont think its wise atm...
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd say that is very lavish.

Why not 1 holiday at home (£600) and one 1-night break in the UK (£200). There are lots of Sunday night deals in luxury hotels where you get dinner, hotel stay and breakfast but on a Sunday night where they are trying to fill rooms.
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    I echo what the others have said, if you feel that you need to have a holiday, tone it down a bit, spend less and pay the difference between that and what you would normally spend off your debt.

• do some research, see if you can go to a less "touristy" area that may be cheaper,
    • see if you can get voucher codes or cashback,
    • if you usually stay in a 4 star hotel, try downgrading to a 3 star
    • self catering options may be cheaper than half board or all inclusive
    holidays abroad do not have to be massively expensive as long as you don't take the first thing offered to you.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    who knows what 2016 will bring,i'd wait till a month before you want a go abroad and see if you want to afford it then
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I haven't been abroad since 2003 and I only went abroad for the first time in 1998. I don't personally find it a big miss, and I would actually prefer a week or two touring the Scottish Highlands than on a beach in Portugal or something - but that is just me.
    We do go away twice a year. One to a caravan park that we started at on a £9.50 Sun Holiday, and they have price matched every year for us - so we get 5 days for £158. It's great and the kids love it. We also have a more 'luxurious' holiday during May half term - 4 days at Flamingo Land (£480)
    One day I would love to take the kids to Florida - but that's what we can manage for now, and they are more than happy (as am I). I think a UK holiday is fantastic....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure