🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ridiculously BONKERS!!

Options
nonnatus
nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
:mad:

For the last few years I've logged onto the MSE Forums around 7am where I can peacefully start my morning with a peruse of the events overnight and even a quick glance at newspaper headlines.

The last month this SPAM stuff has been getting worse and worse but this morning, out of TWELVE pages of threads, there were only around eight actual genuine threads to look at. The rest is the bonkers Spam. It's driving me mad. I KNOW there are other threads about it. I tried clicking on a couple of the spammers and reporting spam but that got boring quite quickly!!

I'm going to find myself a Forum that is a bit better protected and doesn't allow this to go on. Any suggestions anyone?? :D

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I agree. Thinking of starting not coming on till 9ish.

I think they need to limit new members to only be able to start 3 new threads in the first 24 hours after joining, and only let them have free reign to post as much as they want once they have shown themselves not to be a spammer.

Most new members join with a specific question they want to ask in one area, so this new wouldn't have a negative impact on genuine new members
    Zebras rock
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

We're very much aware of this and it's as frustrating for us as it is for you guys.

We're always working to combat it but for obvious reasons we can't say what those are on the Forum.

If it helps, the amount that actually reaches the Forum is a small number compared to what would come through if we didn't have the measures we do in place. Not a huge consolation given how frustrating it can be, I know, but it may go some way to helping forumites understand.

A huge thanks to everyone that's helping out with the spam button and to our fabulous board guides who have the patience of saints!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2015 at 10:23AM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    We're very much aware of this and it's as frustrating for us as it is for you guys.

but you could prevent it, there are ways. What seems to be missing is the will.

There needs to be some serious action, not just platitudes.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 June 2015 at 10:27AM
    Options
    If is is frustrating for you Andrea why is your team not doing something about it and I dont mean in months time I mean in days? if there unable to do so then perhaps pay for someone to come and do this for you. The spam on this forum is ridiculous now its time MSE did something and does it NOW not in weeks or months. No other forum I visit has anyway near the spam this has they can do it why not MSE? In fact I never seen this type of spam on other forums as its probably dealt with properly before it ever gets posted.

I am sorry but I lost all faith in MSE doing anything about this. You spend more time wasted on a stupid forum skin that few people here like its more akin to a nursery school computer
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    A lot of forums are being spammed out of existence.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=black+magic+spam

No excuse though. A site like this should have resources to put an effective solution in place.

I'm sure the forum and Editorial team are doing all they can, but I would guess those holding the purse strings simply don't care (enough).
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    A huge thanks to everyone that's helping out with the spam button and to our fabulous board guides who have the patience of saints!

I almost didn't bother logging in this morning, knowing what I would see.

In the end I gave in, but honestly it is reaching a tipping point fast.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport