car with lumbar support

Options
Ellie2758
Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Does anybody know which cars are available with lumbar support for the driver (for passenger too would be a bonus!). I currently have a Scenic and would like a similar car - i.e. MPV, as the uprightness of the seat suits my back. I was wondering about the Nissan Almera Tino, or one of those new-fangled Toyota Corollas that are in the upright style. Sorry, not sure of the name of them and the Toyota website isnt loading properly at the moment. Is it the Verso? I dont particularly want 7 seats though, but a big boot would be an advantage.

thanks
Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
J-J Rousseau

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    The only car manufacturer I have found with proper support for both driver and passenger is Volvo.

I have had both large and small models, but you would need to check that the newest small models have it too - although my children have left home, and I have no dogs, I now intend to drive a Volvo estate for ever!
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately an estate is no good for me because the seat needs to be upright. I dont think volvo do an MPV style car, do they?

J-J Rousseau
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't JUST think of an in-built lumber support - it's usually just a piece of the seat that is pushed into you, nothing more scientific, than that.

Although Saab have a pretty good record of good design.

Check out http://www.drivingergonomics.com/

Then try a few different cars, just a visit to a few showrooms, will help you decide.

VB
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Don't JUST think of an in-built lumber support - it's usually just a piece of the seat that is pushed into you, nothing more scientific, than that.

Although Saab have a pretty good record of good design.

Check out http://www.drivingergonomics.com/

Then try a few different cars, just a visit to a few showrooms, will help you decide.

VB

It's better than nothing though. Trying them out doesnt work too well as it is only once I hve been sat for a while that I get problems with my back.

J-J Rousseau
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Volvo definately, we've got an old one but the lumbar supports are still fab, I have a back injury which happened when I was a child and it's great for me. Got to agree it's a case of trying the car and see how the seating position is for you etc which helps a lot. What's comfortable for one may be the opposite for the other. My Dad also has a back problem and loved the comfort of his Zafira.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    From my experience some of the VW group cars have very good seats. I suffer with my back and have found that in my last 4 audis I have had no problems at all. The more sports orintated models have firmer seats which can also help. The VW Touran may fit your bill
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I had wondered about the Zafira and the Touran actually. I was looking at the Japanese models because my brother had a Toyota that lasted for years and was relatively cheap to maintain.

J-J Rousseau
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Lexus have lumber support
    Something Really Interesting
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Unfortunately an estate is no good for me because the seat needs to be upright. I dont think volvo do an MPV style car, do they?

My seat is upright - I have it so that the back is vertical and the seat horizontal - a bit like an upholstered dining chair, if that makes sense.

And I agree that Lexus do great seats too (my daughter has one), but they're expensive cars. About as expensive as the Volvo XC90.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I would also recommend Volvo seats, but failing that, you could consider this. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure