Best card for AUD $

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question if anyone has recently had experience with this. I have read the part of the website with the travel prepaid cards (I can't get Halifax Clarity) and it recommends FairFx for example... but for Australia you would have to load on Sterling and it looks like every time you spend on it you get charged a few percent to change it over to AUD.

I looked at the CaxtonFx card... and although the exchange rate isn't the best (or worst) you can load up in dollars and don't get charged any ATM fees or any kind of fees at all from what I can see?

I'm going to be taking around 1250 pounds and want to load all of that onto a card and then withdraw from ATM every couple of days and spend on card for big meals etc.

From your experience of the above, which is the best card to get for Australia?

Thanks in advance for your help with this one!

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leaving the money in Sterling is actually not a bad idea, as long as you do it with a card that doesn't charge too much. The conversion from GBP to AUD will probably cost you less than the exchange rate you get for loading an AUD card.

Have a look at Kalixa Pay if you can't get Halifax Clarity. It does have an ATM charge, but no loading on the exchange rate. If you withdraw cash in larger amounts and infrequently it works out pretty cheap.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd take a second card, what happens if you lose it ?
  • XboxFan89
    XboxFan89 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Will have a look at Kalixa Pay!

Still tempted for the CaxtonFX card (simply as there are no fees and I'm just not sure how often I'm going to withdraw and/or spend on the card).

Are there any better cards that offer the same no fees, but a bit better exchange rate perhaps?

I also intend to order an extra card :).
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    XboxFan89 wrote: »
    Will have a look at Kalixa Pay!

Still tempted for the CaxtonFX card (simply as there are no fees and I'm just not sure how often I'm going to withdraw and/or spend on the card).

Are there any better cards that offer the same no fees, but a bit better exchange rate perhaps?

I also intend to order an extra card :).

Be aware that the new Caxton Global Mastercard works differently.
    Don't know if you can still obtain the VISA card.

Kalixa Pay for purchases and larger cash withdrawals of £100 or over will beat any other Prepaid option.
  • Psycho_mantra
    Options
    Would suggest Centtrip, MoneyCorp as they are multi currency cards so you actually have currency in AUD.

Others worth considering would be PFS, Net+ and Travelex multi-currency cash passport - but the fees and FX rates on the other cards are more competitive.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Would suggest Centtrip, MoneyCorp as they are multi currency cards so you actually have currency in AUD.

Others worth considering would be PFS, Net+ and Travelex multi-currency cash passport - but the fees and FX rates on the other cards are more competitive.

Not good advice....
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    https://www.supercard.io , worth applying for one, even if you don't get it.

Otherwise, looking at TravelMoneyMax you may be best off with cash, although it isn't the most secure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure