Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    needtoknow
    Incapacity benefit and NHS dental treatment.
    • 6th Aug 07, 6:37 PM
    Incapacity benefit and NHS dental treatment. 6th Aug 07 at 6:37 PM
    Hi there,

I am on long term incapacity benefit and just fall outside the catagory of getting free NHS dental treatment, so I have to pay one of the 3 amounts chargable.

I went to make an appointment with my dentist today and was told by the receptionist that the dentist is now converting most of his patients to private and only treating NHS patients who don't have to pay such as people on income support, which excludes people like myself who are on incapacity benefit, but who do have to pay. I have checked with the local dental board in N ireland and it seems its totally up to the dentist whether he is going to treat me under the NHS chargable rates when he sees me in 5 weeks time. eg root canal treatment costs 43.50 under the NHS charge rates but will cost from 300-400 under the private rates.

Any advice appreciated, surely this is discrimination against incapacity benefit people?

john
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,591Posts Today

11,321Users online

Martin's Twitter