Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car
View Poll Results: IS THIS OF ANY USE ?
YUP 17 45.95%
NOPE 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Views: 50,668
# 1
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car

Ever thought of using vegetable oil in your diesel car ? last month revenues and excise have given everybody a personal limit of 2500 litres of bio diesel duty free per annum. So if you have 5 people in your house you can safely use 12500 litres of vege oil per annum and as it is 54p at most supermarkets and if you buy in bulk direct from the manufactureres this turns down to approx 42p per litre. against 99p per liter of diesel and 97p per liter of petrol.
this would save you a bomb. Also some vehicles do not need conversion either before they can accept vegetable oil either.
# 2
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 19-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This has just jumped to 68p a litre in tescos/asdas etc. still 31p cheaper than diesel and also do not forget that diesel is due to soar in the coming months.

Last edited by BAILIFFCHASER; 24-11-2007 at 7:32 AM.
# 3
TheAble
Old 19-10-2007, 12:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

68p per litre to screw up your engine. I'll pay the extra 21 thanks.
You can shear a sheep many times - but you can skin him only once
# 4
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 19-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAble View Post
68p per litre to screw up your engine. I'll pay the extra 21 thanks.
so i take it they caught you using red diesel again ??????
# 5
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 24-11-2007, 7:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oil Has Now Jumped To 2.10 Per 3 Litres A Hike Of Nearly 30p Over 2 Months Per Litre.
# 6
kittiej
Old 24-11-2007, 9:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Weren't McDonalds supposed to be going to use the oil from cooking chicken nuggets in their vehicles?
# 7
immoral_angeluk
Old 24-11-2007, 9:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I don't think it very responsible to tell people to go put vegetable oil in their tanks. If anyone is planning on trying this PLEASE speak to a reputable mechanic first!
Total Debt Nov '11 - 6801 Current Debt- 4380.81
~Target DFD Dec 2013~
This year is the year!
The Following User Says Thank You to immoral_angeluk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Larumbelle
Old 24-11-2007, 9:25 AM

In theory, vegetable oil may indeed be used to fuel your diesel car. BUT you need a conversion kit. This is usually an extra tank with a switch. You have to get the car running first on proper diesel and then switch to the oil.

There is another way to use vegetable oil in your car;where it has to be converted into biodiesel first. You do have to pay (reduced) fuel duty on this.
My O/H tried making some a year or so back. We got the oil free from a chippy who was pleased he didn't have to pay to get rid of it! It works fine, but it is a lot of messing around. I wasn't too impressed by the health and safety aspect.

I wouldn't recommend either option as a money saver. Conversion kits are expensive and vegetable oil is not so very cheap anymore even in bulk. The long-term damage to your car is not really known, but if you can't afford a risk you shouldn't take it!

Boi-diesel kits are cheap but the fuel doesn't work out that much cheaper if you go legal. The kit's makers say it is safe, but I don't buy it! It might well invalidate your home insurance. As someone who has had a house fire in the past I can tell you that they're not much fun, and again, it is a gamble most people wouldn't want to take.

If you want to save fuel costs might I suggest the best money-saving way is using your car less?!

Other ways to boost your MPG include getting rid of unnecessary weight (if you're one of those people with junk in your boot, clear it out!); ensureing that your tyres are correctly inflated to the right pressure, keeping windows closed where possible, and cutting back on air conditioning.
Don't be taken in by the debt vultures - get free and impartial debt advice instead!
CCCS - 0800 138 1111 | National Debtline - 0800 0808 4000 | Citizens Advice Bureau

# 9
inmypocketnottheirs
Old 24-11-2007, 9:33 AM

So that we can get our facts straight have a look at www.etruk.com where the full story about bio diesel is explained. Basically, if you use 'free' waste oil the cost per litre to produce bio desel is 15p per litre. If alternatively you bought ready filtered used veg oil, it would cost approx 20p per litre more.

Each person is allowed 2500 litres per year, free of duty.

Thus you have the choice of paying £1.05 litre for diesel or between 15p and 35p per litre for bio.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
# 10
markrussell78
Old 24-11-2007, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Doesn't the oil have to be mixed with methanol? Sure it wasn't just cooking oil? Can't see how that can do your engine any good at all, simply not designed for it. Diesel is much thinner than cooking oil too. Wont this have an affect on the fuel pump? It will have to work harder to pump thicker liquid etc?
Plus the smallest etruk unit is £895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
Yes found out you do have to use methanol too so there is the price of that to take into consideration. Shame as we have thousands of gallons of methanol we 'dispose' of at work. Shame i cant get it shipped home!
As to my fuel pump comment above, i can see how when mixed with methanol it would thin the liquid down.
Total debt at start (nov 07) = 8907 8684
HSBC CC = 781 761@ 15.9%
MBNA CC = 2434 2359@ 17.9% (was 24.9!!!!)
Barclaycard CC = 5692 5564@ 6.9% LOB
A way to go..

150 250 350 piggy points, more to follow
Proud to be dealing with my debts.
Long haulers No.62

Last edited by markrussell78; 24-11-2007 at 11:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to markrussell78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Homework
Old 24-11-2007, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We were in the Tesco cafe one day and watched a man take a trolley of value cooking oil out into the car park. Wondering if he had a hot food shop or just liked chips we watched as he starting pouring it into his Volvo.

We sat in amazement as he finished and then put the bottles in the recycle container, and then drove off.

We said to the security guard as we left and he said there was a couple of different people doing it.

I always thought cooking oil was a joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Homework For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Tao81
Old 24-11-2007, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

wish there was some answer to this, as yesterday I was forced to pay 1.05 per litre for diesel. Unleaded was 1.00 I've never seen such a huge gap in price between the two types of fuel?!! I'd love to do what the Volvo man was doing! I have a 1993 diesel car and have often wondered if I could do it relatively cheaply? I can't imagine that 'Mr Volvo' paid 895 for a conversion kit?!!!:confused:
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tao81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
tigerfeet2006
Old 24-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just spoken to DH who is a scientist and he posted me this link to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps
BSCno.87
The only stupid question is an unasked one
I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
[/COLOR][/CENTER]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tigerfeet2006 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
C32AMG
Old 24-11-2007, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There is a lot of rubbish on this thread!

Basically, cooking oil (SVO) CAN be used in MOST diesels WITHOUT a kit.

However.

New diesels (common rail) operate under very very high pressure and are NOT suitable for SVO with or without a kit. If you try this, it'll work initially but you WILL have to replace components on the car which will be very, very expensive. Think 1000's .

Older diesels can (in the main) run on SVO provided that the fuel pump has been tested OK on SVO. Lots of Peugeots & Citroens have fuel pumps that run well with SVO, but some other cars don't fare so well.

In all cases, SVO has to be mixed with diesel at a ratio which is dependant on the time of year. SVO is a lot thicker than diesel and needs to be 'thinned' down - very few cars will run on 100% SVO and even these will work properly in the summer. During the colder months, the ratio for diesel:svo is higher, as SVO will 'wax' badly and needs more diesel to thin down. During very cold spells, any SVO at all is not really advisable.

The 'conversion' kit for SVO is basically a seperate tank and a pre-heater. It is not always needed and is pretty expensive.

Best case is to check with your mechanic or someone knowlegeable first, as all different cars will react to SVO differently, depending on a number of issues. Just because your friend runs SVO in his ageing Peugeot 405 1.9D doesn't mean you can use it in your brand new 45k twin-turbo BMW 335D.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C32AMG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
kaya
Old 24-11-2007, 1:27 PM

many cars will run on vegetable oil, but not for long, it will clog up your filters and pumps if you use it straight, it also has the effect of attacking the rubber seals in some engines-either buy a kit and convert the veggie oil to bio-diesel or check with the cars Manufacturer first, it can be a very expensive mistake to make
The Following User Says Thank You to kaya For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
inmypocketnottheirs
Old 24-11-2007, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrussell78 View Post
Doesn't the oil have to be mixed with methanol? Sure it wasn't just cooking oil? Can't see how that can do your engine any good at all, simply not designed for it. Diesel is much thinner than cooking oil too. Wont this have an affect on the fuel pump? It will have to work harder to pump thicker liquid etc?
Plus the smallest etruk unit is 895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
Yes found out you do have to use methanol too so there is the price of that to take into consideration. Shame as we have thousands of gallons of methanol we 'dispose' of at work. Shame i cant get it shipped home!
As to my fuel pump comment above, i can see how when mixed with methanol it would thin the liquid down.
If you take the time to look through the link above you will see that the 15p litre for treating waste oil includes the cost of methanol, caustic soda and the electricity required to produce bio diesel. You could save 90p per litre, that is a saving of 4.09 per gallon. That means you would have to use 257 gallons to get your money back on the purchase price. In other words just under 5 gallons per week. So it would not take that long, would it?
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
The Following User Says Thank You to inmypocketnottheirs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
itsnever2lateisit?
Old 24-11-2007, 3:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrussell78 View Post
Plus the smallest etruk unit is 895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
Herr Rudolf Diesel first demonstated his invention burning peanut oil, so in fact it WAS designed to burn Bio rather than Mineral fuel. True to say though that many modern engines will not run too well on anything above a 5% mix BMW for one. However older engines dont seem to have a problem, Perkins and PSA for example, I run my Perkins powered lump on 100% Bio in the summer, its quieter, and claims are that it lubricates the engine better. But I would never pour cooking oil in my tank, but only a fuel that has been through the process of titrilation and washing. Nice that HMRC have waived duty on production below 2500 litres though, may make my own instead of buying it at 80p duty paid
Debt @ LBM 04/07 14,80401/08 10,472now debt free

Target: Stay debt free
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsnever2lateisit? For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 24-11-2007, 3:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homework View Post
We were in the Tesco cafe one day and watched a man take a trolley of value cooking oil out into the car park. Wondering if he had a hot food shop or just liked chips we watched as he starting pouring it into his Volvo.

We sat in amazement as he finished and then put the bottles in the recycle container, and then drove off.

We said to the security guard as we left and he said there was a couple of different people doing it.

I always thought cooking oil was a joke.

If you have a old diesel then you do not have a problem. I do the same thing with my lucida(people carrier ) But in the winter add 10 diesel to keep the oil running.
# 19
Homework
Old 24-11-2007, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It was a big old style Volvo. It must save him a fortune however he is doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Homework For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
BAILIFFCHASER
Old 24-11-2007, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by immoral_angeluk View Post
I don't think it very responsible to tell people to go put vegetable oil in their tanks. If anyone is planning on trying this PLEASE speak to a reputable mechanic first!

Why isit not ? Its ok to tell people how to save 20 at tescos buy buying 1 worth of shopping but this is not very responsible ? Is it only me going gahgah ?
Closed Thread