PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 22nd December 2014

Options
O/S Daily Monday 22nd December 2014

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Brambleberry
    Options
    Morning everyone!

First proper day of hollybobs so feeling properly festive! :xmastree:

DP will be out at work, so I will be wrapping his pressies later, icing the cake, (marzipan done yesterday) and I might venture out for a walk instead of going near the shops.
    The gales from last night have died down, so today's highlights may also include a game of find the neighbour's wheelie bin!

Hope you all have a canny day!
    :)
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Still dark here, but still blustery, wind was noisy in the night, so hoping it'll be dying down a bit.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit, as he’s on school hols.

Lunch yesterday was roast chicken, and HM veg and egg fried rice, all eaten and enjoyed. As I’d put oven cleaner in the oven overnight Sat to Sunday morning, I wanted to put the oven shelves through the DW – so couldn’t use the main oven. I decided to use the halogen oven to cook the chicken, it was absolutely gorgeous – and took much less time, definitely something I’ll be looking into much more as it must use much less electric. Dinner tonight will be fish, chips and beans for the menfolk, and I’ll be having fish, jacket potato and veg.

Yesterday we got all the jobs done that we wanted, other than we went to see the outlaws and they had gone out – so got everything else done and went home, but later on I said to DH we need to go as we’re not going to have time before xmas as we’re both working xmas eve, so we went yesterday afternoon, so all deliveries are done.

I have to ask today if I can work from the local office tomorrow and not the other one in the next town, I’m hoping it shouldn’t be a problem, if they say no, not sure what I’m going to do to be honest as I’m really apprehensive about driving that far in my car before it’s been to the garage to be checked out.

Not sure what sort of day we’ll get today – it’s generally quite quiet at this time of year – so we’ll see.

Take care x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    christmas_music_zps0a5641a5.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Once in royal Davids city
    Stood a lowly cattle shed
    Where a mother laid her Baby
    In a manger for His bed
    Mary was that mother mild
    Jesus Christ, her little Child :xmassmile
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] :santa2: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In my calendar – a reindeer :rudolf:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The carol concert was fab :T I wanted to show you what master tru had made, to do that I had to wait til it was all over so I could get close enough to the stage to take photos. But the stage lights were off by then so the photos were very dark. There were 8' tall wooden silhouettes of houses with little windows cut out and different shaped roofs, with the lights behind they looked fab. Plus he'd made 10 lanterns, they were around 8' tall too. I'm hoping they put some pics on their FB page so I can save them to show them off :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I don't have to go out again now :D I might go to FIL's with mr tru tomorrow but I might not. I know that sounds mean but he doesn't really want me there and pretty much ignores me the whole time. Just a snippet of background (there's lots more, and this is one that's very mild compared to other things) - I hear never-ending stories of mr tru's ex and how wonderful she is and he thought the two of them would end up together, then when mr tru changed jobs he informed us that the ex lived just around the corner from work and they should start meeting up for lunch. Mean old man.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Today is just about keeping the house tidy and getting the washing dry. There are other things to do but they all revolve around Christmas (food prep mainly!) and it's too early for that :D[/FONT]

:snow_laug
    Bulletproof
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all

Sounds windy outside , need to venture out though , the 1st of three 12 hour shifts before Xmas :(

Tru hope there are some pics I'd love to see what DS made :T

I need to make more bread rolls and mince pies as the ones I made for Xmas have somewhat depleted :o

Oh well off I go ,,have a good day everyone xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    tru wrote: »
    christmas_music_zps0a5641a5.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Once in royal Davids city
    Stood a lowly cattle shed
    Where a mother laid her Baby
    In a manger for His bed
    Mary was that mother mild
    Jesus Christ, her little Child :xmassmile
    [/FONT]

:snow_laug

Thanks Tru, my very favourite carol :T

Morning all,

I have had the most terrible night sleep ever, I went off ok but woke up after a nightmare and could not get back off, it absolutely frightened me and I could not get back off, still last day for me today OH and dd have both finished so they can be in charge of cleaning through and dinner.

DD needs to pop back to her house and OH needs to go into town, I have finished shopping and don’t intend to go out to the shops again ! ( I cant bear shopping at the best of times)

Not sure whats for dinner will go and have a look after this.

Right better get on, might need matchsticks today ! :D

Have good days all xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning everyone tru try to ignore your FIL if you can after all there is usually a good reason why SHE is his EX and not you :):) some people just cannot move on with life and often try to stir things up in other people's Rise above it, and feel sorry for someone who is so embittered to try and spoil your life

Well my oldest friend finally got her new little grandchild last night at 6.41p.m. when Maggie Rose arrived in the world weighing in at 7lbs 15ozs.She is naturally over the moon, along with her son and DiL. Christmas babies seem to bring Christmas a bit more meaning I have found. I had two December babies 2nd & 19th (and a grandson born on the 16th) and this month has always been an exciting one in our family.

This morning I have to take four of my grandsons to the dentist for their routine check-up.Then back to their house where we are going to make some nutella milkshakes and chocolate fudge tray bakes (won't tell the dentist though :):):))
    All the presents are wrapped and everything is falling into place I have a list of things to do today but mostly it involves playing cards and baking with my youngest DGS :)
    weather is looking a bit damp outside but not too cold at the moment
    Hope every has a good day, most of us will be scurrying around I expect, fretting about Thursday.But worry not, as we'll all be doing the same again next year, as we did last year, and we all survived the rush and hype of that didn't we
    Try to relax and enjoy yourselves <<hugs to those who are down,or poorly>>
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,080 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

What a fearsome night and morning! It's been raining cats and dogs for days now.

Carol service was much better than before, there was a proper choir and a couple of musicians which greatly helped the singing. There were even proper carols and not obscure hymns that not many knew - not that I was singing. Tone deaf, not good. Then there was mulled wine. The rain and wind was awful and the church is up a long drive with most of the parking on the field. I choose to park a little further down the track at a little junction which is metalled, loads of cars stuck in the mud.

OH left after the service and got back to Newcastle about about half past midnight. I, of course, was tucked up and cosy and only kept awake by his stream of texts telling me where he was. That's cos of the extreme weather and because the other week he got a flat tyre, so a little bit of worrying was going on.

I left home at 5.00a.m. and got here about 15 minutes ago though the drive was pretty hairy over The Rest and other parts had loads of standing water.

Got a hot coffee and some toast on my desk so all is well.

Thanks tru for the carol, I can hear them in my head each morning.

Hope everyone is keeping warm and well.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all

Still dark here and sounds windy, Brrrr

Off out later to deliver parcels to family and friends.

Need to finish shopping list for tomorrow, just ordinary shopping, milk etc, then won't need shopping for a week or so.

Have done freezer inventory and loads in there.

I'd really like to increase the stock cupboard by buying an extra packet or tin every week, as I can then 'shop' from that when we start caravanning again next year.

Stay warm and safe everyone, hugs where needed.
    Carolbee
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    :santa2:Good morning all,

Well it has been a really rough night, if the fence is intact it will be a miracle.

Thank you nmic for starting the thread and thank you Tru for the carol, another of my favourites. To be honest I think I love all carols:)
    Tru perhaps FIL doesn't know it is the season of good will. Take no notice of him, clearly ex didn't make Mr Tru happy, whereas obviously you do.

Off to have nails done this morning, need to pop round to DGS who ordered some things for his Mum off Amazon on my laptop and they were delivered here. I thought he was cutting it a bit fine, but 3 out of the 4 have arrived.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe

Candlelightx:j:xmastree:
  • Poddly
    Poddly Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all! Today will be a busy one, but mostly baking at home so should be good. Need to wash up the good China from yesterday, it doesn't go in the dishwasher, and all the glasses. Lovely evening with our friends and managed a good if blustery walk.

Might need to pop to the Coop for more chocolate, I will be cooking the gammon, and a quiche, and a bake well tart as an alternative pud for Boxing Day. DS16 wants to make rocky road, and DS13 fancies some mini chocolate and marshmallow tarts, and cranberry cookies.... I also need to ice the cake.
    DH already gone to work, better get a move on. Hope everyone has a lovely day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure