Two banks close account just after opening

Options
Strange question I'm wondering what to do next as I have applied for two current accounts recently the first was with Yorkshire bank after getting the card I tried to log i using iphone app with great difficulty transpires my account had been closed about 3/4 days after opening.

So stuck without a bank I apply to Barclays who open me an account send the card I attempt to log on Internet banking app again & the account is closed within same timeframe.

What am I supposed to do now? I don't want to go through this for a third time!. Is there some kind of system/data share which is preventing me from having a bank account. All I want to do is get my wage in a bank account this is weird.

What do you recommend I do?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked your credit file? (Equifax/Experian..)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 December 2014 at 6:33PM
    Options
    What happened with the original bank before Yorkshire/Barclays? Why are you moving?

I see you are familiar with cifas-

"Other than cifas/national hunter, work checks what else is involved?" - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65215780&highlight=#post65215780

My alarm bells are ringing already.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What did Yorkshire and Barclays say when you asked them why the accounts were closed?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yorkshire said due to credit history: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66774166&postcount=1

So it could be same for Barclays.
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    The credit reference agencies (Experian/Equifax) are checked live as you're applying. If there was an issue there the application would either be declined or referred at thee point of sale, you wouldn't get as far as getting the account open.

National Hunter is checked as a batch process overnight once the account is already open, so it sounds like this is where the issue is likely to be coming from.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PBA wrote: »
    National Hunter is checked as a batch process overnight once the account is already open, so it sounds like this is where the issue is likely to be coming from.
    But wouldn't any CIFAS markers, for example, be visible on Experian et al?...unless there's some (kind of) data on NHunter that isn't shared with the CRAs automatically?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 December 2014 at 12:24AM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Yorkshire said due to credit history: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66774166&postcount=1

So it could be same for Barclays.
    ashy78 wrote: »
    I applied for an account on Monday, on Thursday I received my card I had a few problems registering for online banking.

So I was told it was due to not putting cash in the day I opened it!, so I tried faster payment the response was closed account!.

I rang the branch for the reason they said due to credit reference agency information!, I'm on the electoral roll etc what could the reason for closure be?.

I would appreciate your thoughts? Has anyone else had this?

@ashy78

So what is your credit history?
    ====
  • ashy78
    Options
    But wouldn't any CIFAS markers, for example, be visible on Experian et al?...unless there's some (kind of) data on NHunter that isn't shared with the CRAs automatically?

I'm not entirely sure as no problem when I have applied but as you say three to four days both accounts got closed. My cifas on my credit files are blank.

I would be familiar with national hunter/cifas due to my work for 14yrs until they decided to divorce me in 2010 like the other 6000 lloydstsb workers on the site!.
  • MikeMouse
    Options
    For whatever reason the banks are linking your account to fraud. Either they believe the new account is based on false information OR you have a record from your past.

If it was just a live CCJ or even a whole bunch of them the account would have been refused at the start rather than opened and closed.

You need to check all three credit files and if all 3 are clear - which I would be pretty certain they are not - contact National Hunter.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes, there certainly seems to be a problem other than a low credit score.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure