Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 30th Nov 14, 3:22 PM
    • 7,811Posts
    • 11,606Thanks
    worried jim
    Just 16 to get off any private parking ticket
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:22 PM
    Just 16 to get off any private parking ticket 30th Nov 14 at 3:22 PM
    Great article in the Times today- effectively, no matter what, for 16 these guys will win the case for you ( http://www.parkingticketappeals.org.uk/ )
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/ingear/cars/article1488630.ece
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 02-12-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Copyright
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 1
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 30th Nov 14, 3:30 PM
    • 14,805 Posts
    • 13,453 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:30 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:30 PM
    PTAS is/was run, at least in part, by a couple of MSE forum members. We are well aware of them.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 30th Nov 14, 3:33 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    nigelbb
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:33 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:33 PM
    There is a danger with these websites because they make people believe that they can get them off parking tickets, says Patrick Troy, chief executive of the British Parking Association (BPA), which represents private parking operators. But if they did park in the wrong place, then they should pay the penalty.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Nice of Patrick Troy to confirm that PPCs are charging penalties which are of course unenforceable in consumer contracts whatever HHJ Maloney may think.
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 30th Nov 14, 3:36 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    Fergie76
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:36 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:36 PM
    Or you could just follow the great advice on here and except for a wee bit of your own time, it cost you nothing.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 30th Nov 14, 3:40 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:40 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 3:40 PM
    Troy is such a scumbag.

“There is a danger with these websites because they make people believe that they can get them off parking tickets,”

Yes Patrick, that's because they CAN get them off.
    Je suis Charlie.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 30th Nov 14, 4:45 PM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 30th Nov 14, 4:45 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 4:45 PM
    My only concern is that this company is providing an easy get out for those who abuse private landowners, those who use car parks but not the businesses which pay for them, and those who try to avoid payment where payment is due.
  • BenefitMaster
    • 30th Nov 14, 4:58 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 4:58 PM
    Just one correction - PTAS was run by two respected forum members, but one left due to ethical concerns, and the other has now sold the business.

I am no longer doing any work for PTAS due to an obvious conflict of interest, declared below.
    Last edited by BenefitMaster; 30-11-2014 at 6:33 PM.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 30th Nov 14, 5:07 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 13,474 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 30th Nov 14, 5:07 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 5:07 PM
    I'm surprised we didn't get "the end of civilization as we know it " hogwash from Troy.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • BenefitMaster
    • 30th Nov 14, 6:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 14, 6:35 PM
    My only concern is that this company is providing an easy get out for those who abuse private landowners, those who use car parks but not the businesses which pay for them, and those who try to avoid payment where payment is due.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    The Private Parking industry made this bed, so now they need to lie in it.

The Parking Appeals companies (I'm aware of four now) are condcuting their business lawfully, unlike the likes of ParkingLie et al.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 30th Nov 14, 8:26 PM
    • 41,768 Posts
    • 53,897 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Edited as things have changed
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-06-2016 at 3:11 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Folkiedave
    • By Folkiedave 30th Nov 14, 8:37 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Folkiedave
    No journalist to my knowledge has ever asked Troy the simple 2 questions - if this is such and effective solution and without it the world would come to an end - why didn't the world come to an end before Oct 2012 and err......

WHAT HAPPENS IN SCOTLAND?
    • Dave_TH
    • By Dave_TH 30th Nov 14, 9:34 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Dave_TH
    Who in their right mind would consider 16 a day to be cheap parking? so not quite a get out, in most city centers you only pay 5 to 10 per day and out of town places are cheaper or free. 16 makes people take notice and avoid repeats
  • BenefitMaster
    I've never had someone come back to me asking for a second court defence or representation...
    • HO87
    • By HO87 30th Nov 14, 10:33 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 7,373 Thanks
    HO87
    If the company seeking to enforce their charge cannot justify it within the terms of the law as it now stands (GPEOL etc) then that is as much an abuse as any abuse of a landlord's car park. Parking companies boldly assert that they are all about upholding the rights of landlords (whilst trousering vast profits) and spout much self-righteous nonsense about upholding the law. Surely then it behoves such companies to do so by lawful means as to do otherwise is tantamount to vigilanteism?

In such circumstances services such as those offered by PTAS do not provide an "easy" way out in the sense you intend it (I suspect). There is no exploitation of "loopholes". They are merely putting these companies to strict proof of their assertions. If the appeals are upheld (as we know they are) then the fault, if there is any, lies with the companies not the service provider. By failing to be able to support their assertions these companies are actually failing the very landlords/owners they claim to be supporting.

I have no conflict of interest to add here. I do not and nor have I ever provided my services to PTAS or similar services for remuneration or otherwise.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 1st Dec 14, 12:28 AM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 4,558 Thanks
    The Deep
    Indeed HO, so how do you feel about this punter?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5125019
    • hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 1st Dec 14, 6:02 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hoohoo

He is parking against the landowner wishes. A sensible approach by the landowner would be a polite notice advising him not to do it again, followed by a charge of 20 (a GPEOL) if he continues to park like this.

That works in other car parks.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Dec 14, 7:55 AM
    • 11,416 Posts
    • 17,151 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Nice of Patrick Troy to confirm that PPCs are charging penalties which are of course unenforceable in consumer contracts whatever HHJ Maloney may think.
    Originally posted by nigelbb
    Prankster has just blogged on this:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/patrick-troy-admits-private-parking.html
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • HO87
    • By HO87 1st Dec 14, 9:17 AM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 7,373 Thanks
    HO87

He is parking against the landowner wishes. A sensible approach by the landowner would be a polite notice advising him not to do it again, followed by a charge of 20 (a GPEOL) if he continues to park like this.

That works in other car parks.
    Originally posted by hoohoo
    Agreed. Remind me to settle up with you for the secretarial services.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • david32120
    I have a ticket for parking on the 28/10/2014. Can I use this firm to get this cancelled or am I too late?
    Thanks
  • spj1975
    Can anyone help me please? Im new to this site, i received a fine for parking in a co-op store and took advice and ignored it, i have now received a county court claim form!! Any advice?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,297Posts Today

7,260Users online

Martin's Twitter