Sky bullying phone tactics

Options
Well my sky phone and broadband is about to end after it's one year contract. I just had a phone call from a rep pushing me to take sky tv. I told him before he gave me the speel that I had just bought a hd recorder with live tv in it. He agreed it was good and carried on trying to flog me the tv. It took me 3 attempts at saying no before he rang off. He said if i need to change my mind i can ring a free phone number (not an 0800 one) he had a welsh accent.

I also said i will be looking for a beter deal on BB and LL but he wouldn't budge and said their prices are very good because all the cheaper deals will be putting their prices up soon anyway, much higher than sky.

I feel they really do use bullying tactics.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Your contract doesn't end until you cancel it. After 1 year you have just reached the minimum term. You would still need to give them 30 days notice to cancel.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you currently have Sky talk then all calls to Sky are free -so I guess that's how a non 0800 number is free.

Agree that your contract doesn't end after 12 months -it simply converts to a monthly rolling contract .
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So after the 28th when the term ends I will have to cancel then ?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    You could cancel NOW - you'll need to give 30 days notice of cancellation anyway.

But don't do so until you've arranged alternatives for phone/BB etc. (Perhaps get a MAC from Sky and use that with your chosen new provider?)
  • hubb
    Options
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. If I cancel now I am still in my contract until 28th Nov. Unless you mean they will need 30 days up until it ends ?
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    It took me 3 attempts at saying no before he rang off.

You don't need to wait for them to ring off, if you don't want to listen to someone you can just put the phone down?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to give them 30 days notice, you can do that now. I would suggest you do that in writing and keep a copy of your letter. If you do it by phone you will get more high pressure sales to entice you to remain with Sky. Remember to cancel your DD.

I used the BT switching facility so I did not have to speak to Sky. Only contact I had was one call to ask if I would discuss why I was leaving. I said no and hung up the phone.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • hubb
    edited 18 November 2014 at 6:48PM
    Options
    They may still offer me a good deal if I ring them and say I will be leaving. Why in writing ? all conversations are recorded and I always log the time/details of the person.

When the contract ends I am within my right to cancel when it suits. I am obliged to give 30 days notice when still under contract.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    They may still offer me a good deal if I ring them and say I will be leaving. Why in writing ? all conversations are recorded and I always log the time/details of the person.

When the contract ends I am within my right to cancel when it suits. I am obliged to give 30 days notice when still under contract.

You can cancel now - you'll have to give 30 days whether you do so now or after the twelve month period. Keep in mind that any introductory offers may end after the twelve month period.
  • hubb
    Options
    Sorry but why do I have to give 30 days notice when I am out of contract? I am no longer bound.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure