The One and Only Oktoberfest NSD Challenge!

marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
Forumite
edited 14 October 2014 at 4:07PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who does will have a swift visit from Shawn the Shark! i3dzjk.jpg

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

We're hoping to see lots of new faces this month,so don't be shy!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2014 at 10:42PM
    So,here we are again!

September is drawing to a close and the nights are fair drawing in....

What we need is a bit of excitement,conviviality,good cheer and maybe a beer or three.The NSD gang are heading off to München to celebrate at the famed 2enxefs.jpg and you are all welcome!!! qns0fq.jpg

Of course,there will also be non-alcohic beer on tap for anyone wishing to remain sober.I have been once to the Oktoberfest,all the way back in 1993! :eek: Goodness that's now over twenty years ago. :o We had a great time.Suprisingly,I remember quite a lot of it. :)

Here is a link to the official Oktoberfest website.

What of the prizes,I hear you ask?

Be prepared to be amazed!

1st target 2q03xhl.jpg

2nd target 671wev.jpg

3rd target s5zq6p.jpg

4th target 2cgbzfp.jpg

Target exceeded
    flhi10.jpg

And finally,introducing a new,ab fab prize for those who don't quite reach target: a lovely cake as a consolation prize!

vs14s7.jpg

Thank you Igor,but I don't think that you're allowed to bring HM beer.That means that you'll need to get your wallet out of storage.Oh,and your lederhosen...are they still in one piece?I heard that you had to get them fumigated after last year's shenanigans. :eek::eek::eek: You might need to get a new pair;we don't want any nasty surprises now,do we? :eek::eek: No,you can't wear Hubert's pair,sorry.You're not really the same shape.You don't really suit pink'n'sparkly anyway...And Hubert,please stay off
    the beer this time.That's if you're planning on wearing your roller skates.Remember last year's accident?No,maybe that's for the best then...:o
  • Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2014 at 9:29AM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list.

marmiterulesok 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg 2nd target15/15 achieved!671wev.jpg Target exceeded17/15achieved! flhi10.jpg

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 671wev.jpg 3rd target 20/20
    achieved! s5zq6p.jpg 4th target 25/25 achieved! 2cgbzfp.jpgTarget exceeded! 29/25 achieved! flhi10.jpg

Vicky496 4/7

lindor 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg

ott09 4/10

fedupandskint 25/25 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpgTarget exceeded 28/25 achieved!

Nargleblast 15/15 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpgTarget exceeded 16/15 flhi10.jpg

kathy40uk 14/15

Munchin 3/10

t2rry 19/20

financially exposed 0/10

Learning2Budget12/12achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved!671wev.jpg Target exceeded18/15 achieved! flhi10.jpg

belleandthebudget 0/10

gothrockchic1 8/12

black cat 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 671wev.jpg3rd target 18/18 achieved! s5zq6p.jpgTarget exceeded 20/18achieved!/COLOR]

kxc798 1/15

Penguins86 9/12

worriedpenguin 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg2nd target 11/15

tatabubbly 5/12

donna dynamo 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 671wev.jpg 3rd target 19/22

Ever The Optimist 8/10

Aloofdragon15/15 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg

rockm87 4/10

stripeyjumpergirl 5/12

Sundaysgirl10/10 achieved!2q03xhl.jpg2nd target 16/15

LINKYPIE2009 0/5

cuddlymarm 0/15

butterfly2507 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg2nd target15/15 achieved!671wev.jpg3rd target 22/22 achieved!

bizzybee 15/15 achieved!

Nintud 4/10

iloveshopping93 8/10

mobo1980 10/15

purple.sarah 1/10

georgiebrown0 0/12

slowlyfading 18/18 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg Target exceeded! 19/18 achieved! flhi10.jpg

kerri gt 15/15

DeafLeopard 10/10 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg 2nd target 13/15

StressedSteph 1/20

Butti 6/10

Buffythedebtslayer 8/10

jaxsmar 19/18

Aphidgirl9/10

suziebabe 15/15 achieved! 2q03xhl.jpg

Caterina 10/10

Saver-upper12/12
    achieved! 2q03xhl.jpgTarget exceeded14/12 achieved! flhi10.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2014 at 7:45AM
    If you want to do an 'in a row' challenge,let me know and I'll add your name here.Here is your wunderbar prize j0jzmq.jpg

marmiterulesok 4 in a row achieved! j0jzmq.jpg

Knit Witch 5 in a row achieved! j0jzmq.jpg23 in a row achieved! j0jzmq.jpgj0jzmq.jpg you deserve two!

gothrockchic1 3 in a row

purple.sarah 3 in a row

DeafLeopard 3 in a row

suziebabe 3 in a row

Learning2Budget 4 in a row achieved! j0jzmq.jpg
  • Here is a link to the September thread.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Starting with my usual 10 please Marmite and 5 in a row :D (and I am planning on going "Sober for October" so having these prizes could be hard :o)
    Must use my stash up!
  • I think I did at least 7 this last month, but I wasn't counting properly... wish I had!

So I'm joining the challenge properly this month with an initial target of 7!
    Debt Free No Longer Wannabe
    DFD: 25th July 2014
    About to ruin all that and get a mortgage!
  • lindor
    lindor Posts: 95 Forumite
    Hi all,

I'd like to go for 10 nsds again. What with the temptations of the Oktoberfest and half term I think that's the best I can manage. I could do with a new dirndl too, as the old one is feeling a tad snug...and that won't be cheap either
  • ott09
    ott09 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Could I join please? 10 NSDs for me to start
    October NSD challenge 7/10:o
    November NSD challenge 3/10 so far

SPC # 413 (but waiting until next year for grand opening!)
    :beer:
  • Here I go with an attempt at 25 NSD for October, let's see if I can hit this target!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills