PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sausages......

Options
CountingPennies
CountingPennies Posts: 1,893 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 23 September 2014 at 4:51PM in Old style MoneySaving
Been going through the freezer and come across a pack of beef sausages from the butchers which we bought in the summer. BBQ weather looks to be over so i've took them out the freezer. Can't be seperated so i'm gonna have to cook the lot tomorrow.

The plan is to make a couple of dishes of something then freeze. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I don't have a slow cooker.

Just under 1k, around 14-15 beef sausages I think.

I'm only working on a night this week and my days are free so instead of going out spending money I don't have i'm trying to get some meals sorted. Never bulk cooked till yesterday when I made my first ever soup (apart from broth) :o

Hope i'm not getting on everyones nerves with all my threads/questions :o

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350

Comments

• lotti379
    Options
    What about peeling off the skins then chopping into meatballs?

Did this with a pack of sweet chilli sausages on Sunday (from the freezer), chopped up some onion, garlic and carrot and softened that for a bit, then tipped that lot out of the pan and turned the heat up, browned me 'balls, veggies back in, carton of Ald!s 35p passata, a bit of black pepper and a squidge of T3so value tomato puree. Simmered away while I cooked some spaghetti. Was v nice indeed! Would probably freeze ok too. :)
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • lilbert
    Options
    Make a big batch of sausage and bean casserole. I chop the sausages into 4 but you can leave them whole. tinned tomatoes, whatever spice/herbs you want and tin of beans. Can serve with mash, mix in with pasta or top jacket spud :) very freezeable and quite easy.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Defrost the sausages cook them all and then refreeze the one you are not ready to use.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    i cook them in the oven (on a bit of foil thats been oiled)
    i like them better that way than frying them
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    I can highly recommend this recipe by the Frugal Queen, it is absolutely delicious.

Questions are good, they get us all thinking and remind us of recipes we have forgotten about so definitely not annoying :D

http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/02/sausage-hotpot-for-67p-portion.html
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even with decent sausages you seem to get a lot of fat in them, so when i'm using them to make a curry or casserole in the SC, i'll cook them first by boiling in a pan of water, let all the fat come out then chop the sausage before they go in the SC. The fat i'll boil the water away and put the fat into old newspater before going in the bin .............. never put it down the drain.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • lotti379
    Options
    moments_of_sanity - that hotpot looks delish! Thanks for the link!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    That is all brilliant.... Thankyou everyone! School run now but will be having a think about this tonight and see what the kids/hubby fancies!

Hotpot does look delish, I agree with lotti!

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • Busy_Mee
    Options
    Hairy Bikers sausage casserole always goes down well in our house - bit like a chilli with sausages.
  • cats_ahoy
    Options
    I can highly recommend this recipe by the Frugal Queen, it is absolutely delicious.

Questions are good, they get us all thinking and remind us of recipes we have forgotten about so definitely not annoying :D

http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/02/sausage-hotpot-for-67p-portion.html

That hotpot recipe looks gorgeous! I really enjoy reading Frugal Queens blog, especially since the newer posts on A Girl Called Jack blog aren't the same as they used to be, and a lot less often these days.
    Getting married September 2015 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport