PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lentils; the supercheap superfood.

Options

Comments

• mushroom1982
    Options
    Hello!

I've recently turned veggie so i'm a big lentil fan! My favourite recipe is one from my mother gave me for a spicy lentil soup.

To make it you need

2 tins of tomatoes
    150g of red lentils
    2 carrots
    1 onion
    1 teaspoon of curry powder
    1 tablespoon of cumin
    4 veg stock cubes (the recipe says 2 but I always double up as its nicer!)
    1 clove of garlic
    1.2 litres of water.

I blend it once its cooked as I think its nicer this way.

Another favourite of mine is to make moussaka and put lentils and tinnned tomatoes in instead of mince. It's really nice and I've tried both red lentils and green lentils mixed with mung beans.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is adapted slightly from The More With Less Cookbook, my kids like it with American style biscuits (scones) or cornbread but it's very nice with rice.

I've converted the cup measures to lbs and ozs ;)

For 6

Mix in a shallow baking dish (about 9''x13'')
    1¾ cups (12 oz) green lentils
    2 cups (16 fl oz) water
    a bay leaf
    2tsp salt
    ¼tsp pepper
    big pinch of dried herbs
    2 large onions, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    2 large carrots, sliced
    a handful of chopped celery

Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 190c until veg are tender.
    Stir in
    1 chopped pepper (any colour)
    2 tbsp chopped parsley

Sprinkle on top
    3 cups(12 oz) grated cheese
    Bake, uncovered, 5 mins
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I posted this on another thread but with no response yet, does anyone know how to stop lentils sticking to the bottom of a pressure cooker and burning. I make a chopped tomatoes, onion,carrots, celery, bacon misshapes and lentil type stew and it always burns at the end. Do the lentils cook well in a sc? I always have to cook carrots and celery in the microwave for about 10 mins before adding to sc otherwise they turn out rock hard.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • mushroom1982
    Options
    I often make soups in a slow cooker with lentils in. I was advised on one packet of lentils to boil them for ten minutes before putting them in but I've never needed to do this. Never used a pressure cooker though so am not sure!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lentil dhal, cheap and yummy and delicious served with rice.
    Yeah we have this one;

Spinach, Coconut & Lentil Dahl

Ingredients:

200g split red lentils
    400ml water
    400ml coconut milk
    250g finely chopped onions
    75g dairy free margarine,
    5 garlic cloves-thinly sliced
    2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    4 cloves
    3 teaspoon turmeric
    1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    4 thick slices fresh unpeeled ginger
    450g fresh, peeled & roughly chopped tomatoes
    300g spinach
    lots of ground black pepper
    juice of 1 large lime
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
    2 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Fry the onion in 50g of the margerine until golden. Add half of the sliced garlic, cumin, mustard seeds & cloves. Cook gently for about 5 mins. Stir in the turmeric & chili powder until well blended.

Add the lentils, water, coconut milk, ginger, tomatoes & spinach (I use the frozen spinach). Bring to a simmer, add pepper and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 - 40 mins or until the lentils are soft and have dissolved into the liquid.

Remove the pan from the heat.

Melt the remaining margerine in a small pan. When it gets frothy, add the rest of the garlic and stir until it starts to colour. Add this to the lentil mix.

Add the lime juice, corriander, mint & salt. Cover with lid & leave to sit for 10 mins. Remove ginger chunks And serve with naan vegan bread or any other type of flat bread.

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 30-40 mins

But we don't have the tomatoes in it, it's really yummy, and we serve it with rice, which feeds 4 of us amply.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I made a vegetarian curry that was in my sc recipe book and the lentils were hard after 7 hours cooking, so I am going to give lentils 1 more go in the oven, otherwise our relationship is over. Pressure cooker - stuck and burnt at bottom, sc - not cooked completely.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • diddydiddydondon
    Options
    Red Lentils in stew soup. Bring to Boil with all other ingredients, turn down to low simmer cook covered for 20-25 mins.. Never had a prob. Good luck
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got massive jar thing full, must try some of these
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    OK you asked for it. We were vegetarian 15 years ago and I have quite a supply of lentil recipes - Lentil mush- Red lentils, onions softened, tin of tomatoes, and any veg left in fridge - carrots, peppers etc. rice, garlic, mixed herbs, bit of stock cook together until rice is done add tom puree
    Lentil mousakka, lentil and vegetable bake,lentil patties and croquettes.
    Lentil patties - 6oz lentils boiled in 3/4 pint water, until the water is absorbed about 30 mins. Cool. Mix with large chopped onion, 4 tbsps breadcrumbs herbs and pinch nutmeg.Shape into patties and fry.
    Croquettes - similar until cool stage then add 1 tbsp oil, 6 oz hard cheese,2 oz peanut butter, 2 oz breadcrumbs, herbs, lemon juice1 tsp marmite. Coat each in egg and breadcrumb and fry.
    Again lots of Indian dishes and if you can get hold of Sarah Brown's book lots more lentil recipes - let me know if you can't get it and I'll post some more.
  • daisyroots_2
    daisyroots_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Carrots go well with lentils, in soups and stews. Another thought - if you use whole lentils, (the green ones, as opposed to the orange ones without the "shell") you can sprout them. Fresh vegetables are going to be expensive this autumn, after all the flooding, and sprouting pulses is an excellent way to get your fibre and vitamin C

If you live near Turkish or Asian shops, you can often buy big bags of haricot, red kidney, cannelini, flageolet and other beans quite cheaply, they are also nourishing and filling and can be sprouted
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family