Company took £1500 - help needed tracking them down

Options
My 80 yr old Grandma has Parkisons and has become extremly forgetful. My Mum has recently taken power of attourney on her banks and has been going through previous transactions.

£1500 was taken via card payment in Feb 2014 to a company called Arthritis We Care Ltd. This sent her over her overdraft limit in March with the charges that go with it.
I have found in another forum that an old lady wanted to get her money back for a £1695 mattress. The Company is registered under selling medical supplies. All phone numbers I have found just have machines that do not get a reply.

My Grandmas phone company state they do not hold a record of incoming phone calls - surely this cannot be true? Action Fraud have stated we need some evidence - although without the telephone company giving us the number there is no other evidence, only that £1500 was given over and my grandma received no goods.

Trading Standards have not been helpful.

What else can we do?

£1500 is not a small sum and we have hit a brick wall at where to turn to next.

We really need to pursue this further and we have taken precautions so that this cannot happen again

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2014 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Check her phone bills? These are usually itemised, so the caller's number should be listed. I'd be very surprised if the phone company did not do this - who is/was it?

Edit: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08122611/ARTHRITIS-WE-CARE-LIMITED This gives an address, so you should be able to start putting things to them in writing. (Getting at least a certificate of posting from the PO for anything you send).
  • SamKumra_2
    Options
    Thank you for the reply
    We have sent a recorded delivery letter to the address on the 12th Aug and have heard nothing back. The letter has been signed for on the 13th Aug.

The phone call would have been incoming - so would not show on a regular itemised phone bill as they only show outgoing calls.

We are really stumped at who to turn to next - CAB said Action Fraud and they won't do anything without more evidence
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 November 2015 at 11:28AM
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Check her phone bills? These are usually itemised, so the caller's number should be listed. I'd be very surprised if the phone company did not do this - who is/was it?

Inbound calls are not normally shown on phone bills, just outbound ones.

To the OP - write to them, both at their listed operational address and their registered office

ARTHRITIS WE CARE LIMITED
    THE COUNTING HOUSE
    13 NELSON STREET
    HULL
    HU1 1XE

Arthritis We Care Ltd,
    Sugar Mill,
    Oakhurst Avenue,
    Leeds,
    LS11 7HL

Unfortunately the directors, [TEXT REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM] are a little illusive to track down. There is another director, [TEXT REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM] who is also a director at two other companies, could always try and trace him via those other companies http://companycheck.co.uk/director/917022378
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you certain that no goods arrived? If so, then your mum should take it up with your grandmother's bank, to see if they will consider a Chargeback. I think it's outside the normal timeframe but it may be possible to argue that you've only recently become aware of it so the time should be reset.
  • SamKumra_2
    Options
    This company seem to be selling huge items - chairs, beds & mattresses. Nothing has been delivered in past 6 months.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - I misunderstood that it was an incoming call.
  • SamKumra_2
    SamKumra_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 November 2015 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Managed to speak to Director of company, [TEXT REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM], and he was very understanding. We agreed on £1100 refund as was made to measure massaging mattress that had been sitting in his warehouse for 6 months as they had not been able to arrange delivery. This seemed like the best solution as the only other one I could see was to get a doctor note saying my grandma wasn't in a sound mind to make a contract then go to small claims court, which would take too much time.

Thank you all for your help
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2015 at 11:25AM
    Options
    SamKumra wrote: »
    Managed to speak to Director of company, [TEXT REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM], and he was very understanding. We agreed on £1100 refund as was made to measure massaging mattress that had been sitting in his warehouse for 6 months as they had not been able to arrange delivery. This seemed like the best solution as the only other one I could see was to get a doctor note saying my grandma wasn't in a sound mind to make a contract then go to small claims court, which would take too much time.

Thank you all for your help

They're in breach of contract. They should either be delivering it within 7 days or issuing a full refund imo.

You said it was taken by card payment, I presume it was debit card? It may be worthwhile checking with your bank to see if youre still within the time limit for a chargeback for non-delivery.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're in breach of contract. They should either be delivering it within 7 days or issuing a full refund imo.

Breach of contract only allows for actual losses to be recovered and not automatically to rescind the whole contract.

Clearly we arent privy to the conversation the OP had with the director and on the basis they are happy with the outcome we can only assume it was reasonable.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Breach of contract only allows for actual losses to be recovered and not automatically to rescind the whole contract.

Clearly we arent privy to the conversation the OP had with the director and on the basis they are happy with the outcome we can only assume it was reasonable.

Breach of contract doesnt only allow for actual losses to be recovered. Breach of contract allows for a remedy to be provided so that the person is either in the position they'd have been in had the contract been performed correctly or that theyre in the same position they would have been in, had the contract not been entered into.

But if you notice above, I said delivery within 7 days OR refund in full. This is called making time of the essence and is applicable where no set date/period of time was agreed for the supplier to carry out their duties.

If there has already been a deadline set then time is already of the essence.

If a deadline has been set, then breaching it is indeed grounds for termination.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure