IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye issue 17k court claims

Options
Stroma
Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
Uniform Washer
edited 17 August 2014 at 10:01AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
On a recent FOI request it's been determined that Parking Eye has issued in excess of 17k claims in the 7 months to June 2014. If that continues at the same pace they would make almost 30k claims in the 12 month period.

This is up from 2011 & 2012 figures of almost none from them, they are obviously abusing the court system to intimidate people into paying. It's been proved time and again that Parking Eye lie through their teeth at all points of their so called business.

Now the whole point of pofa 2012 was to lesson claims in the court system, the bpa lied by saying that circa 5% went to court so more than 90k, the reality was that 845 claims were made in 2010/11 and 600 in 2011/12!

So the reality is that by having pofa 2012 in place has increased the court burden by an order of magnitude that is frankly jaw dropping, we need to be highlighting this fact to our MPs you know the ones who are meant to serve the public.

And we need to make even more complaints to the dvla, bpa and ipc on these companies, not just parking eye, it's not good enough winning at popla and the ipc, there needs to be complaints on each win as it shows that these people have no reasonable cause to get our details.

On the complaints front, use the details from this post
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64350614&postcount=6
When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
We don't need the following to help you.
Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
:beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am dumbfounded by those statistics. What concerns me even more, is the fact that potentially many PPCs will start to copy PE and issue court claims who have never bothered before. Those figures could rise significantly in the next couple of years. So much for easing the burden on the court system.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    It's all very well saying that we should do this, and we should do that, but WE are doing everything correctly.

It is the great unwashed British public who keep these companies in business, you know, the ones with little savings, up to their eyes in debt, the ones who take loans from Wonga, sell their scrap gold for a pittance, cannot string a few words into a sentence, buy Moben kitchens, and pay £130 for a pair of trainers made in the Far East for a fiver.

Let us face it, half of us comprise an underclass of poorly educated, ill-informed, benefit scrounging, spied on people. We are supine, lazy, not particularly honest, know our rights, but not our obligations, and poorly housed. Our railways are among the most expensive in the world, our roads are overloaded, our politicians are corrupt, our tax system hugely over complicated, we are obsessed with political correctness, and our police a law unto themselves.

Can you imagine the French, Swiss, or Germans putting up with the nonsense which we do?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is the great unwashed British public who keep these companies in business, you know, the ones with little savings, up to their eyes in debt, the ones who take loans from Wonga, sell their scrap gold for a pittance, cannot string a few words into a sentence, buy Moben kitchens, and pay £130 for a pair of trainers made in the Far East for a fiver.

Let us face it, half of us comprise an underclass of poorly educated, ill-informed, benefit scrounging, spied on people. We are supine, lazy, not particularly honest, know our rights, but not our obligations, and poorly housed. Our railways are among the most expensive in the world, our roads are overloaded, our politicians are corrupt, our tax system hugely over complicated, we are obsessed with political correctness, and our police a law unto themselves.

And our weather's crap. I think they should all move to the Costa Blanca (for longer than their annual fortnight's all-inclusive). :)

Other that that TD, by God, I think you've nailed it. :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • 4consumerrights
    Options
    Dee140157 wrote: »
    I am dumbfounded by those statistics. What concerns me even more, is the fact that potentially many PPCs will start to copy PE and issue court claims who have never bothered before. Those figures could rise significantly in the next couple of years. So much for easing the burden on the court system.

And its made worse by Groups on Facebook by telling people to ignore parking tickets.!
  • 4consumerrights
    Options
    Dee140157 wrote: »

Its a shame that people wont accept that with this evidence they should change their behaviour.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2014 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    On a recent FOI request it's been determined that Parking Eye has issued in excess of 17k claims in the 7 months to June 2014. If that continues at the same pace they would make almost 30k claims in the 12 month period.

This is up from 2011 & 2012 figures of almost none from them, they are obviously abusing the court system to intimidate people into paying. It's been proved time and again that Parking Eye lie through their teeth at all points of their so called business.

Now the whole point of pofa 2012 was to lesson claims in the court system, the bpa lied by saying that circa 5% went to court so more than 90k, the reality was that 845 claims were made in 2010/11 and 600 in 2011/12!

So the reality is that by having pofa 2012 in place has increased the court burden by an order of magnitude that is frankly jaw dropping, we need to be highlighting this fact to our MPs you know the ones who are meant to serve the public.

And we need to make even more complaints to the dvla, bpa and ipc on these companies, not just parking eye, it's not good enough winning at popla and the ipc, there needs to be complaints on each win as it shows that these people have no reasonable cause to get our details.

On the complaints front, use the details from this post
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64350614&postcount=6

Quite clearly, if you replace clamping with PCNs, you are going to have more court cases. The forecast of the numbers was as accurate as the forecast in the number of Bulgarian and Romanian people coming to the UK and no one of any intelligence or perception believed that when it was announced.

Whereas I agree that the current number of court cases is totally unacceptable, I wouldn't want clamping back.

The current PPC model would be unsustainable if there was no recourse to go to law. Well, most of use would like that but it would be the collapse of the private parking "industry" and I wonder who in power has the b@lls to do that. Certainly a decent result in the Beavis case would be a first nail.

So those who predicted if no one pays, it would be the collapse of the PPC industry in a week may be off-beam and should desist from making such wild and frankly silly claims forthwith.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    The point is that a business model that is reliant on court to force people to pay is not sustainable, the current business model of companies like Parking Eye is not sustainable, how can it be ? At some point Parking Eye will be deemed vexatious litigants, and their whole business will collapse around them.

Its not about winning at Popla only, or winning at court, as we can see neither is really working, its about complaints and a lot of them to MPs and the DVLA and ICO and anyone else who listen, the BPA and IPC are just bottom feeders we know that, but complaints to them as well is needed.

@The Deep

Generalising about the public is not in fact helpful, calling people what you have just underlines the fact on how far out of touch with reality you are!
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many of these 17000 were drawn before Court or PE did not show?

What does it take for PE to become a vexatious litigant? Having a quick google search, it appears that courts a loathed to label someone vexatious litigant.

So I don't think we will ever get to that stage, unfortunately.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    That's twice as many as before 2012 (for the whole PPC business)when the justification for the whole legislation included a reduction in court time.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • salmosalaris
    Options
    PE will never be deemed vexatious litigants .
    They seem to proceed to a hearing with most, if not all, defended cases and win many , so how exactly are they going to be labelled vexatious ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure