Integrated fridge freezer- 60/40

Options
Hi all

We want to replace our integrated fridge freezer- having measured up, it seems to is 60/ 40 (fridge-freezer) proportions.

Trouble is, I'm not always finding it obvious from descriptions on currys and other websites whether they're FF are 60-40 or 70-30- the spec just states the whole height, and the pictures aren't always clear (I can tell when it is 50-50).

Can anyone helps with either how I work this out, or better still make some recommendations of specific models types?

(As an aside, if I order one from (eg) amazon, would a local appliance repairs and supplies shop be happy to fit it- for a cost obvious?)

Thanks

Comments

• zoob
    zoob Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Measure the hight of the kitchen unit door that covers the freezer, and I'll confirm what size of appliance you need, there generally classed as 70 30 because of there volume and not size.
  • Hugbubble
    Hugbubble Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi zoob

Thanks for reply. The freezer unit door is 76cm (the freezer door itself is 65cm)

Does that make sense to you?

Thanks for any help! It's driving me crazy...
  • Hugbubble
    Options
    In a follow up and possibly stupid (!) question....our current fridge freezer (that we're looking to replace) has two spur fused plugs associated with it (one for freezer, one for fridge)...

Is this usual for an integrated FF?

Thnaks
  • Hugbubble
    Options
    Anyone? *bump*
  • DirectDebacle
    DirectDebacle Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    Options
    As an example this from Currys site:

ESSENTIALS CIFF5012 Integrated Fridge Freezer
    • Fridge: 160 litres / Freezer: 89 litres
    • Energy rating: A+
    • Freezer defrost system: manual
    • One-year manufacturer’s warranty
    Total capacity 160+89= 249

Percentage of fridge = 160/249*100=64.25

Therefore fridge freezer split 64.25/35.75. Round up or down to suit yourself e.g. call it 60/40.

Twin compressors usually found on better quality makes of fridge/freezer.
  • Hugbubble
    Options
    As an example this from Currys site:

ESSENTIALS CIFF5012 Integrated Fridge Freezer
    • Fridge: 160 litres / Freezer: 89 litres
    • Energy rating: A+
    • Freezer defrost system: manual
    • One-year manufacturer’s warranty
    Total capacity 160+89= 249

Percentage of fridge = 160/249*100=64.25

Therefore fridge freezer split 64.25/35.75. Round up or down to suit yourself e.g. call it 60/40.

Twin compressors usually found on better quality makes of fridge/freezer.

Thanks for this v comprehensive answer....obviously I was misunderstanding about what the 60/40 terminology actually meant...

I still can't figure out how to calculate whether my existing doors will fit a new appliance though (I'm probably missing something obvious!)

Thanks for all help
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    Options
    Why not contact manufacturers ? The number of integrated fridge freezers is small compared to the total number of models, so they would only need to measure one or two , if they don't have the statistics to hand.

There is a large variation in freezer capacity/useful space between brands and I'm convinced that freezer size has drcreased over the years.

My present unit, an Indesit, looks as small as most, but , in fact, has a little more space ,as there is storage in the freezer door.
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have u looked st john lewis?

get a handyman to fit it.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    I know I harp on about them on here (!) but have you been into your local Euronics centre? They are independently run, have vast buying power through their association and 9 times out of 10 will beat Currys hands down on price. I would hazard a guess that, they would beat Amazon too. They will also fit it for you.

If you go down the road of buying off the net, then getting a local place to fit it for you, will be nigh on impossible, the work the margin out for the job on the profit from the sale and the installation usually. Would you do a job, you are only getting paid , maybe 1/2 the money on?

If you want to know about the pitfalls of getting integrated applainces fitted, by someone who has not got the right payment for it, have a look at Idiophreaks posts on here. Ask the right questions first before buying, if you buy local, take photos of how the old one is fitted, let them know upfront, so there are no nasty surprises ! Idiophreaks posts below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5028640&highlight=

Euronics also give extra warranties on product no one else can.
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rusty I read it, you were very patient with that poster lol!

He sounds like the standard awkward pedantic customer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure