PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 24th July

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
:staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
"Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
Proud to have dealt with our debt :)

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Thank you everyone, you are all lovely :A

I will be back on track soon, always takes me a few days to get used to the idea.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a lovely day.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2014 at 7:01AM
    Options
    Good Morning :hello: and thanks for starting us on a new day, TTFTM.

Great to see you're a bit more positive - which I can appreciate is difficult when you've had 'nasty health news' - another HScyboie_glitters.gif for you and anybody else who may be in need of one at the moment.

Another hot and muggy night here - despite having the lovely, crisp, fresh sheets on the bed. They're now all twisted and mangled again due to me tossing/turning all night :(. Around 5.00am, I made the BIG mistake of doing a 'full-stretch' on the bed and got one of those 'electric shocks' of cramp straight up the left leg :eek:. OH suddenly sat up thinking I'd been shot or something - then muttered/grumbled - and rolled back over to sleep. Not a scrap of sympathy from THAT direction :mad:.

I've been up since then - had a huge glass of water and taken my meds - had a play on here, but not many people seemed to be about that early - so went for my shower. I'm now feeling suitable refreshed - at least for the time being; so am sat here wrapped in towel which is more drying than 'trying to rub dry'.

Plans for today include:
    • Full day shift in CS - will call in supermarket first to get a couple of melons. Going to slice them up and leave in the fridge for 'mid-shift refreshments' for Staff today :drool:.
    • Today I'm going to wear my lovely skirt that I bought in a Marie Curie Charity Shop on holiday. It's an 'East Coast' skirt, cream linen with embroidery near the hem on each of the panels - £4.50 :j. Bit more than I'd normally want to pay for a 2nd hand skirt, but definitely worth it :T.
    • I'm also going to visit Mum in hospital tomorrow, so I'll take her some in a t/ware box with a chill pack to keep them cold on the journey :j.
    • Turkey Stir-fry for us this evening, using up yesterday's whoopsie haul, a slice of Turkey Steak from freezer and a packet of Black Bean Stir-fry Sauce.

Everybody please take care of yourselves in the heat and sun today frazzled.gif.

cheers - Lilyplonk :wave: xx
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    edited 24 July 2014 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Good morning Music and everyone.
    I had good nights sleep last night. Much cooler. I got my chillow pillow out of the cupboard and popped it in the fridge for a wile before bed.

Just made a coffee and opened back door for dog.
    I can hear the resident pigions hooting good morning.

I watched the opening of the games in Scotland last night.
    Loved the colourful dresses of the dancers. The chair dance...
    I thought there should have been circus people in the air. On swings etc...
    The Queen incased in the big black car. I thought an open top car or better still a horse and buggy so more citizans could see her.
    Susan Boil sang well.
    The little scotty dogs were so cute!

Just had my breakfast out on a sun lounger. Coffee and crumpets - YS.
    Played toys with the mutt.

Noted some gardening to do. More dead heading of flowers and watering of greenhouse.

Checked the fridge (daily) decided it would be an help yourself dinner to use things up.

Summer living, def. different to winter living = curtains closed to keep the hot sun out wile windows open.
    Fruit and water in fridge. Always keep bread and vegetables n fridge.
    Hair up.
    More time spent in garden. Out walking.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Another scorcher here I had such trouble getting off to sleep cos of the heat, I lay there for a good two hours before going off.

Work today and the start of the holidays here so it might be busy, tempers are fraying slightly in this heat so frequent breaks and lots of water stops I think !

Dinner tonight will be something and chips will go and rummage in the freezer after this.

Got my shopping coming tonight and I will do a wash and maybe clean fridge.

Have good days all xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I watched the opening ceremony too, loved the little dogs but each time one walked out, I worried that the lights, noise, etc was too much for them[/FONT].

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Master tru went to London yesterday, he'll be back on saturday. The house will be quiet for a few days :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've updated spreadsheets and made a start on next year's budget. It'll change a bit because you just know everything will go up in price, but it's ready to use. I've also checked this year's seed packets and made a note of my favourite varieties of veg so I have a list ready for next year.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I caught the strawberry runners in pots and they've done well, but I think the pots are too small. I'll repot them today and hope they survive :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've just used the last of the shredded paper in the nesting boxes, I have a big pile of scrap so will put the shredder to work today.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have a carrier bag full of receipts to go through (erm, thanks for that!) so I'll be sat at the laptop today, working through them.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Need to make more potato salad, will make a start on that now.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I slept like a log last night after only having an hour and a half the night before! I managed to get up to see hubby off to work and the girls off to school for their last day. DD13 is off to Torquay on a coach trip to a water park so she is very excited. DD14 is doing percussion today for her activity and DD11 is starting her 'summer of independance' by walking to town on her own to go to the library, and then catching the bus back.

We had visitors last night for tea and I'd made chicken casserole, mash and broccoli....in this heat, I was a very melty thing indeed. It went down well though so that was good. I'm having a quiet day at home today, all I have to do is make a Spanish chicken traybake from the Hairy Dieters cookbook. The family love it so I don't mind spending the time.

I have gaps in my freezer now finally! I unearthed quite a bit of vegetarian food from when my youngest was a veggie so I shall be incorporating it into a meal plan soon although my hubby will protest. I will have to get a few chops or something to go with his :rotfl:

Well that's all my waffle for now, try and keep cool if you can and drink lots!!! Take care xx
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :)

OH has gone to work and kids still in bed although Laddo is in my bed as he got up just before five. He's 4 now so should be staying in his own bed but he constantly has restless nights.

It looks like it's going to be a lovely day today. I've got a wash load on the line and not enough in the basket to justify putting it in the machine so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I want to clean the oven today if I can get round it. Thankfully it's done regularly so not a huge job and the top is always cleaned after use so just the inside glass door really and the bottom shelf.

Taking the children out to lunch today although not sure where yet. Getting them to agree on the same place is a challenge in itself!

Hope you all have a good day :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2014 at 8:11AM
    Options
    Morning all :)

I didn't wake up until 7.20 which is a lie in for me! Much cooler but still had fan on all night. It was so airless yesterday - I opened all the windows in the house and there was just no breeze, normally doors would be slamming!

We had a lovely fritatta last night with green beans from the garden. Afterwards DH and I were nibbling on honey roast cashews, very naughty but so yummy :)

Going to drive to big shopping centre at a Watford today and get some more clothes. I'm at that stage where my more recent ones are too big, but my old ones are still too small. luckily there is a Primark there so I won't be spending too much.

DS1 skin is still bad since his Neoral finished and he has all the symptoms of flu, but we think that's the withdrawal of the meds. It such a pity because he felt and looked so well on them, but they are far to serious a drug to use long term :(

Not sure yet what dinner will be, but it will involve chicken!

Have a wonderful day all, hugs to those who need them x
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Sky is blue with light cloud and quite a breeze, not so humid, but still forecast to be hot. Watered plants and greenhouse. Washing on the line, and a load in WM as we speak, have stripped our bed, so some of our bedding is in the WM at the mo, but there’s too much as it’s king size to all go at once! Will do boys beds once ours is on the line.

DH and DS1 up and gone to work stupid early.

Dinner last night was HM spag bol, was one of my better efforts, and I’d found a couple of portions in the freezer, so made the tomato sauce base, then added the 2 portions and then just added a little more quorn until I was happy with the consistency and amount – so still have 2 thirds of a bag of quorn mince in the freezer. Remembered to get the meat out to defrost, so tonight we’re having beef casserole, dumplings for the menfolk, I’ll serve it with pots, carrots, green beans and broccolli. We’ve managed to grow some carrots, but they’re tiny, but we will eat them. This is better success than we normally have as we’ve tried to grow them before but just couldn’t get them to! It’s strange as the tops are huge and look really healthy, then when you dig the carrot up, it’s a tiny little thing!

Got all my normal chores done yesterday, and spoke to the ppi company – just waiting for decisions on a couple of claims and another 1 has now been referred to the Financial Ombudsman – a decision on that could take up to 2 years, due to the volume of ppi mis-sold claims that are being referred! Also spoke to CC company and was offered a 0% balance transfer until August 2015, so have transferred a balance, so now everything on CC’s is either on 0% or a deal of some sort, will keep paying extra off to get those balances paid off. Today I’ll be doing all chores, will be heading to the SM shortly as we’re out of bread, and squash, will probably buy some ice creams for dessert. I’ll be cracking on with the ironing once I get back from the SM before it gets too hot!

Take care in the sun and warm weather, remember the sunscreen x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Well that's me finished 'til the 31st July! Some of the local schools broke up at lunch time yesterday & by the time I got home just after 3, the street was full of children playing, by 6 o'clock all hell had broken out. Two parents had fallen out with another group, all getting involved in their kids battles. It ended up with two parents knocking on doors asking people to take sides! I didn't answer the door & when they stopped me later to ask why I said I'd been in the garden & hadn't heard them knocking. I refuse to get involved, kids need to sort out their own arguments unless there is violence involved. Everyone round here is related to everyone else so if you fall out with Beryl next door, you then discover you can't get served in the local shop cos it's her second cousin 4 times removed that serves in there. I try to be pleasant & polite to everyone but keep my distance, but I'll help if help is needed & then back off again.
    Enough of my waffle, I'm off to make another cuppa & make a list of jobs I need to do & in what order.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills