Novatech computer return problems

A good few years I purchased a barebones unit from Novatech and its served me well.
So come upgrade time i purchased another barebones unit, this is the tower unit with a motherboard, cpu +heatsink/fan installed+Ram+PSU and to that I added a graphics card, hard disk and a disc drive.

Initial I had a few problems with it, as it didnt seem to turn on ( fans spun for a second and then it turned off) So i checked all the cables to the hard drive etc and all the bits i had added, unplugged them and plugged them back again and all was well.

Then the problem came back no matter what i did all i could get out of it was a brief 1 second spin of the fan and that was it, So i called Novatech and went through a few things with them over the phone such as unplugging the previously untouched Ram modules, still nothing.
So it was RMA'd back to Novatech, after only having it for a few weeks.

After that I then received notification that they had it and were testing it.
I then received a phone call from Novatech saying that it was physical damage as the Circuit board tracks had lifted on the motherboard, and as such if i wanted it repairing i would have to pay for a new motherboard+Ram modules, I told Novatech that I wasnt happy with this as the fault was there before i touched the Ram modules ( as advised on the phone ) but they didnt seem to be wanting to hear any more.

At the moment its still at Novatech, and I haven't heard anything else from Novatech, and they dont seem to want to repair it ( unless I pay )
I purchased it using a credit card ( Nat-West mastercard )

Where do I stand with getting them to repair it at no cost ( to me) or to get my money back??

Comments

• frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    How long ago did you buy the pc?
  • Richard_T_
    Richard_T_ Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just checking- it was dispatched from Novatech on the 16th June, returned to Novatech just under 4 weeks later
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2014 at 11:04PM
    This seems dodgy....

By the sounds o it you have put in hardware and THEN noticed the damage... Why didn't you notice this b4 putting in the new graphics card, hard disc and disc drive? Doesn't make sense to me buying a PC, opening it, NOT turning it on to test, installing hardware and THEN noticing damage. You'd at least test the unit b4 installing hardware to avoid the potential issue o getting blamed 4 inherent damage. It is not entirely unreasonable to believe that you have caused the damage on this occasion and trying to get a 4reebie, in which case just pay up.

Otherwise (and should I be wrong), wait 4 someone else to advise you better on this :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    daytona0 wrote: »
    This seems dodgy....

By the sounds o it you have put in hardware and THEN noticed the damage... Why didn't you notice this b4 putting in the new graphics card, hard disc and disc drive? Doesn't make sense to me buying a PC, opening it, NOT turning it on to test, installing hardware and THEN noticing damage. You'd at least test the unit b4 installing hardware to avoid the potential issue o getting blamed 4 inherent damage. It is not entirely unreasonable to believe that you have caused the damage on this occasion and trying to get a 4reebie, in which case just pay up.

Otherwise (and should I be wrong), wait 4 someone else to advise you better on this :)
    Is it even possible to test a computer without a hard drive, and without a CD/DVD drive, and without a graphics card*?
    Surely you need an operating system of some sort?

*maybe there was onboard graphics.
  • Richard_T_
    edited 21 July 2014 at 11:24PM
    The additional hardware is required to make it work, its a barebones unit shipped without a graphics card/hard disk etc, sort of a semi built kit.

without the graphics card it cant be connected to a monitor so no picture, without the hard drive no operating system can be loaded, and with no DVD/CD drive no operating system can be loaded from CD/DVD, barebones units come without these, hence barebones.
    The logic behind this is that you can re-use perfectly good working components from an older machine, and someone else has done the awkward stuff such as installing the motherboard/CPU/Heat sink into the case ( ie Novatech), i tend to be gentle with things and faffing with a CPU heat sink install requires some force which i wouldnt want to use on a new bit of kit.

My install went something like this ( after checking any instructions etc and using an anti static wristband
    Plug it in and power it up , fan spun briefly no graphics card or anything else at this point.
    Install motherboard 'beep' speaker, try again, everything appears to power up, speaker beeps to indicate graphics card error, add power lead to graphics card try again., fan spins briefly then powers off.
    check cables re-boot seems to work OK.
    add Hard drive, and DVD drive, a few more intermittent " fan spins up then nothing faults" check cables and all works OK.
    Load windows and use New PC, ( go to pub wearing anti static wristband looking like some convict ) have a few more intermittent wont power up faults, so check everything is in correctly and then it settles down.
    All appears to be OK

Use PC for a few weeks then the problem re-occurs this time no amount of plugging/un plugging what I had added to the system makes any difference - call Novatech.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Is it even possible to test a computer without a hard drive, and without a CD/DVD drive, and without a graphics card*?
    Surely you need an operating system of some sort?

*maybe there was onboard graphics.

It is indeed possible to test.

you dont need any OS for the system to POST, nor do you need any drives installed. Otherwise, how would you put on the OS in the first place if you required one before you can use it?

You do need a graphics card, but its possible there could be an onboard one which would do the job.

When im building a pc, i always test that it will post before installing any drives or anything
  • Richard_T_
    System Has/Had no on board graphics card.
    The fault first reared its head as an intermittent one that seemed to clear up, before re-asserting itself again. the only thing that changed was moving the system to attach a usb lead for a new keyboard.
  • frugal_mike
    Since it is less than 6 months since purchase it is up to Novatech to prove that the damage was caused by you and was not present when the pc was first delivered. I imagine they will keep refusing to do anything about it though.

It is actually possible to run an operating system without a hard disk or a cd/dvd drive btw. Ubuntu (and almost certainly other distros) can boot from a USB device.
  • Richard_T_
    It may be possible to run an OS without a hard drive /CD drive but its not so easy with out anything to plug a monitor into ( no on board graphics)

At the moment i want them to either repair it, or offer a full re-fund if they repair it then fair enough, if they re-fund then I shall purchase else where.
    If they refuse to do either then I may look into making a claim against them via my credit card, if possible
  • frugal_mike
    Assuming it cost more than £100 you can make a Section 75 claim against them and the Credit Card company will be jointly and severally liable. Be prepared for them to claim user damage too though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure