"Borrowed" Guitar

Options
krisalexroberts
krisalexroberts Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi,

About 5 years ago I leant a very expensive guitar to a friend - it was never returned. My 'friend' vanished off the face of the earth immediately after for quite a while and went to mexico, I've heard rumours that he sold the guitar as soon as he got it.
This person is now back in the country and I have discovered his families address, but not his.
It was worth about £600 and I have tried to get the money back several times, both through Small Claims Courts (which ended up being worthless and a waste of money as his parents just told the courts he no longer lived with them, and the police say it is a civil matter.

How can I get the money/guitar back? Can SCC issue warrants over facebook (He is an active facebook member, however he has blocked me as I requested the money for the guitar on it).

Basically I have been robbed and I have no way of putting things right, I have been chasing for years now!

MSE insert, 29 July 2014. We're using this post in our weekly email. Thanks to krisalexroberts for posting this.
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    No, a warrant cannot be issued over Facebook! From what you have said I would write this off to experience, you won't see this money again.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you need to write it off to experience, as you could spend another five years of your life chasing it and is highly unlikely you are going to ever get anywhere close to getting your money back

It IS a lot of money, but the only person you are hurting with all this is yourself by hanging on to the anger and winding yourself up.

Your ex-friend was clearly a toe-rag and probably hasn't given this a second thought

Learn from experience and let it go - sometimes life is not fair unfortunately :(
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Confusedandneedhelp
    Options
    Hi,

About 5 years ago I leant a very expensive guitar to a friend - it was never returned. My 'friend' vanished off the face of the earth immediately after for quite a while and went to mexico, I've heard rumours that he sold the guitar as soon as he got it.
    This person is now back in the country and I have discovered his families address, but not his.
    It was worth about £600 and I have tried to get the money back several times, both through Small Claims Courts (which ended up being worthless and a waste of money as his parents just told the courts he no longer lived with them, and the police say it is a civil matter.

How can I get the money/guitar back? Can SCC issue warrants over facebook (He is an active facebook member, however he has blocked me as I requested the money for the guitar on it).

Basically I have been robbed and I have no way of putting things right, I have been chasing for years now!

Just find his actual address, and issue court papers there. The debt can then follow him.

But no it's not strictly theft.
  • krisalexroberts
    Options
    Theft is:
    A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

How can it be anything but? He dishonestly borrowed and then sold it on, permanently depriving me of it.

Its frustrating as to how there is no method of regaining the money. Ill just try find his address
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately he'll just say it was a gift and you've no way of proving otherwise. I'd say given the circumstances the courts are unlikely to find in your favour. I think you just need to consider this a life lesson.
  • Ladyshopper
    Ladyshopper Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It wasn't dishonest, as you lent it to him. You would have to prove that he had dishonest intentions when it was lent, which would be virtually impossible (and he probably didn't have them at that point anyway), and therefore the offence of theft is not made out as you don't have the dishonesty part. That is why you are being told its civil.

Yes it sucks, but it isn't a criminal matter.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finding someone's real address isn't hard if you're prepared to pay a bit - there are many services that will do it for you (I've used Finder Monkey in the past). However, as others have said I can't see it going in your favour at court.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • summerspring
    summerspring Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, OP. Judging by the number of posts over on the loans board about people who have lent their 'friend' or relative a lot of money, and never got it back again, maybe the saying never a borrower nor a lender be might be a good one to adopt :(

By all means try and find his new address and get a letter written to him, just to show him that you're not going to go away, but to be honest I'd also accept that the guitar and the money are gone for good, and never lend anything out again.
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A large percentage of small claims court judgements made in the claimant's favour are never paid off and are virtually unenforceable.

Even if you got a CCJ in their name and if know the name of their employer and try to get an attachment of earnings which deducts money from their pay packet, all they need to do is change address or employment and you are back to square one.

You need to move on.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree it's something to write of as experience....you would have to have proof, time is going against you and you don't have his address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure