Making career decisions

Options
LondonTop
LondonTop Posts: 6 Forumite
Something I needed to write down - feel free to offer any advice. :)
_____

Since I was a child, I've always wanted to be a secondary school teacher. I graduated two years ago (I'm now 24) with a degree in Computing, and was offered a job with a tech company that I accepted. For the past two years, I haven't been able to shake the thought of becoming a teacher. I worked in a secondary school for a year before starting my degree, which only fuelled my desire to go into teaching.

Tomorrow, I've got an interview at a huge tech company for a new position, and it's looking promising (this is the third and final interview), yet instead of focusing on researching this company, their areas/markets etc, I once again can't shake the thought of teaching, and am instead looking at spaces that are still available on PGCE courses for this September (shortage subject - many places available).

I can't say I've got a passion for my current job, or the one I've applied for, but the money is great, the opportunities and progressions amazing, but I don't have the 'I'm looking forward to getting to work' feeling that I had when I worked as a TA, or the excitement and 'everyday is different' aspect that comes with teaching.

My parents think I'm crazy for even considering leaving my current job/career, and would think I'm even crazier if I was offered the new job and turned it down to become a teacher. They've phoned around the family telling everyone how excited and proud they are that their son has an interview at XXXX company etc etc. I also keep thinking what if I'm a poor teacher, I don't know enough, I crumble under the pressure/stress etc.

I keep telling myself I'll give it another year and see how it goes. The problem is, I'm not sure anything is going to be different next year, apart from being another year older.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It scares me how many 20+yr olds go onn about age, you're still young, if you have a desire to be a teacher then that is th path to follow, at least it will be what you expected or not as expected, my nephew is a teacher, it is long hours not long holidays as the media may portray.
    Me? If I win the lotto jackpot, I may give up my technical role to become a bus driver, but for now £££s rule.
  • whodathunkit
    whodathunkit Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    If you'd "always" wanted to be a teacher, why didn't you apply for a PGCE during your third year at university?
  • LondonTop
    LondonTop Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    If you'd "always" wanted to be a teacher, why didn't you apply for a PGCE during your third year at university?

I did, and was given a conditional offer, but withdrew my application after being offered the job I currently have. My plan at the time was to save money, move out of my parents' house and apply for a PGCE the following year.

That plan didn't exactly materialise.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You know what you want to do - so do it! Now is the time before you have too many ties.... Money isn't everything and teaching can be a very rewarding career.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • egoode
    egoode Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I worked with a guy who was in a quite senior role and earned a lot who gave it all up to teach and he couldn't be happier. It's always better to do what you love not what pays you the most sometimes the money isn't worth it.
    Starting Mortgage Balance: £264,800 (8th Aug 2014)
    Current Mortgage Balance: £269,750 (18th April 2016)
  • NinjaSavingKat
    NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do not let "what others say" get in the way of what you want to do.You will regret it. Why not take the job that you are being interviewed for and save for a year OR wait until they send you a letter - if you are declined a job it might be a sign. Don't ignore your gut feelings though - this is your life, no one else's.
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NoGoodNamesLeft
    Options
    You'll never be as young as you are right now, so if you are worried about age getting in your way, now is the best time to go for it!

I decided to change career in my late 20s and I'm now at university (for the 2nd time), studying to be an environmental biologist. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :)
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Knowing what you want to do is a real gift - use it! I'm 35 and have drifted from one cr.appy jon to another since graduating 14 years ago. I've always thought that if I just knew what I wanted to do, I'd put in whatever effort was needed to make it happen.

You know! Go for it, you know you'll always wonder what if if you don't.
  • susieq87
    susieq87 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    we spend most of our lives at work and i think it is really important to enjoy it. money does not buy happiness, it just makes life much easier. i have found that some parents will always sway you to the job that pays more or is respectable in the community.
    if you want to go into teaching, i think you should do that. we dont need another person working and hates their job and trust me we are plenty!
    Don't sweat the small stuff
  • bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    You are only 24.

Life is too short, don't get to the later years of your life living with regret.

You could always go back to computing jobs if the teaching thing doesn't work out, or it's not what you expect.

Go for it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport