The Great Hunt: What's on your get-before-you-go holiday checklist?

Options
Former_MSE_Darryl
Former_MSE_Darryl Posts: 210 Forumite
What can't you travel without, but always end up needing to buy at the last minute? From sun cream to adapter sockets, we want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on things you should be buying now - and where's cheapest to get them from - to save from being ripped off at costly travel shops.

Click 'reply' below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• HantsHog
    HantsHog Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Luggage scales so don't get caught out with excess baggage charges when returning laden down with souvenirs. Available at £shops. Always worth checking £shops own travel sections as well as their usual lines for items you can buy for holiday and then not worry about leaving there if you do buy too many souvenirs. After all if only cost £1 to start with, not end of world if have to jettison item.
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    What's a holiday??? :(
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The holiday read, usually you can buy quite a decent book for a quid or 2 from Tesco, Asda, or The Works.

Stock up on mozzie spray, I buy Jungle Formula from Savers when it's on offer for £1.99.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sun cream - usually from Home Bargains; I got the Nivea SPF 30 for £3.99, and have never burned using it.

Oh and I got my travel adaptors for less than 50p each at CPC from a link on HotUKdeals.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 July 2014 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Universal sink-plugs.

Ear plugs.

Basic first aid-kit.

Travel wash.

If going off the beaten track, an appointment with GP travel clinic about 6 weeks beforehand.

Check well in advance your passport expiry date. You can renew it 9 months before it's expiry date, and have the unused time credited to your new passport.

Don't leave any visa you might need to the last minute.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Sunoil - it can be very expensive in hot countries for some reason.

Correct type of swimwear - eg in France shorts type swimming trunks are often banned and speedos are required! In some places you need a swimcap (come across this in Italy & Spain).

A fee-free credit/debit card or two.

A dictionary or some sort of app/access to google translate etc. You'll get far better service if you at least use some basic words in the foreign language even if only "Hello" and "Thank You".

If going outside the EU with a contract Smartphone, an in-depth understanding of how to use it and your tariff for roaming. And make certain it has a code lock on both the SIM and the phone.

Lots of plug adapters (as above can get these very cheap). Or take a multi-plug/block plug for chargers etc - but don't plug more than one high power device into it (eg travel kettle, hairdryer) or it'll likely fuse.

Hat.

Emergency numbers for all your bank cards etc, and tell them you're going abroad.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My holiday list is so long that I saved it on my computer!

I never have to buy anything as I literally bring everything. My suitcase is really heavy before I have even put my clothes and shoes in!! :-)

I will not travel without: Mosquito spray, antihistamine cream and tablets, headache pills, sun cream, after sun..... My list is endless.
  • lazyoldbag
    lazyoldbag Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Always visit Asda and buy own-brand version of Immodium. Very hard to find when you need it abroad! I always take Sudafed decongestant if travelling on an airplane. It works wonders for the pain some have on takeoff/landing and also when going swimming. If water gets into the inner ear in a hot country, it becomes super-heated by the weather and causes enormous problems with children. So easy sorted. Never use waterproof suncream with kids abroad - it can cause prickly heat because the sweat cannot get through! Pack loads of factor 50 instead. Very very expensive abroad in places like Turkey!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tea bags and a proper mug :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tallgirld wrote: »
    My holiday list is so long that I saved it on my computer!

My list is: passport, credit card... and that's it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure