Work Focused Interview For Partner

Options
Hello guys,

In recent months I helped a gentlemen get into the support group for ESA, now he has bought me a letter which states his wife has to attend a WFI while she is getting child tax credits since she is looking after their child under 2 years old she is solely responsible, due to her husband being mentally unfit.

Understandably she wants to focus on her son, she is not looking for work at the moment, maybe once her son is older. My question is, how often does she have to attend these interviews, and is she obliged to take job offers or training?

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    These interviews are to help her prepare for work at some stage but she is not obliged to actually find a job, not least as she is caring for a young child.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • K0SS
    K0SS Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2014 at 11:36AM
    Options
    These interviews are to help her prepare for work at some stage but she is not obliged to actually find a job, not least as she is caring for a young child.

Thank you for the prompt response, one more question how often does she have to attend WFI? It seems so illogical to even ask her to come in, if she were able to work she would be it's the fact she is looking after a baby she can't work, do they have people with (text removed by MSE Forum Team) wilful ignorance working there? Presumably the interview will end with; "we will call you in 24 months time." A pointless ritual. It has taken me 2 hours trying to reassure the couple, that their benefits can't be sanctioned If they attend and explain the situation.
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2014 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Are you aware how many millions of parents work with a 2 year old. I wasn't aware it stopped anyone from working.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I attended one of these in April, it was merely a formality as I have caring responsibilities (for which I receive carers allowance) for my partner.

I was told I wouldn't be called again unless circumstances changed.

In your friends case, if it goes like mine, I imagine she wouldn't be called again until her child is five, at which point she would be expected to seek work.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    edited 7 June 2014 at 11:53AM
    Options
    It isn't compulsory though and the person concerned also has an ill husband.

I do agree though that the IQ remark wasn't needed as they are just following the regulations.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • K0SS
    Options
    WillowCat wrote: »
    I attended one of these in April, it was merely a formality as I have caring responsibilities (for which I receive carers allowance) for my partner.

I was told I wouldn't be called again unless circumstances changed.

In your friends case, if it goes like mine, I imagine she wouldn't be called again until her child is five, at which point she would be expected to seek work.

She had made that clear to DWP, that once her son gets into nursery she will be again self employed, it seems to have fallen on deaf ears, her husband may well even die he is only 35 so she is going through emotional turmoil. I hope he gets better and is just a little blip in his mental health.
  • K0SS
    Options
    I don't have kids, no woman no problems. But I can understand the maternal instinct, and not sticking your first born into child care, and taking a massive pay hit. That to me is commendable, somethings are more valuable than getting on top of the greasy pole.
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    It isn't compulsory though and the person concerned also has an ill husband.

I do agree though that the IQ remark wasn't needed as they are just following the regulations.

It's just rude to me. They have never mentioned caring for the adult (which doesn't bode easily with care), just more outrage at being called in for an informal discussion to discuss options to return to work, which many may actually want to do (or prepare for) in return for benefits.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • K0SS
    edited 6 June 2014 at 5:00PM
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    It's just rude to me. They have never mentioned caring for the adult (which doesn't bode easily with care), just more outrage at being called in for an informal discussion to discuss options to return to work, which many may actually want to do (or prepare for) in return for benefits.

She does not care for her husband in the sense of getting benefits for care. Husband due to serious mental health issues was put on Joint ESA claim, after Atos assessment he was immediately informed he must be in the support group. Currently I am trying to get him on PiP, the last thing they want is to attend some pointless ritual at the JC. Just so someone can be paid a little more for some pointless interview. It is outrageous someone is getting paid at the JC for doing absolutely nothing. It should be optional not mandatory to go to a WFI, it ceases to be a benign informal discussion when there are threats of sanctions on benefits for non compliance. Your argument is as farcical as it is illogical.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    The point is that it is compulsary for the partner to attend a WFI, you cannot blame the JC+ staff for this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure