PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OlD STYLE DAILY - Tuesday May 20th 2014

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Tuesday 20th May. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Topsy - congratulations to all regarding Jacob xxx

Rant / General Worrying Session Ahead - choose to ignore - Why else would I be up at 3.03am?

Parents are in crisis - mega crisis and I feel the worst daughter in the whole wide world. Mother had to go into hospital on Sunday as she was unwell (yet they have not found anything wrong - she has gone off her legs and can't weight bear). It took 16 hours to get her there and settled as she thought she was dying! Im afraid I talked sternly to her and told her dying my foot!

That left Dad - who I had promised never to put into a home - into Respite. I could only face him a few minutes yesterday as I felt so ill, tired and guilty. Im useless as a daughter!

In the midst of all this my symptoms are back and kicking - seeing consultant today. My poor husband does not know if he is coming or going and has to work in a stressful job too. We are both so tired and really this is only the start - we have the move to our town for my parents to undertake - that has to happen - and now Mother is adamant she can't cope with dad!! Oh God in Heaven :A

Im ignoring my kids and need to focus on youngest as he has mental health problems. I had the mother of all panic attacks last week and he actually sat with me not visa versa.

Donny Im sorry I didn't reply to your text but yours and everyone's support on this thread is so much appreciated.

OS - been doing mum's washing and used bicarb to get rid of a nasty smell:eek:

Love and hugs - Hester hope the babes are doing well and TTFTM - hope DD is beginning to feel better xxxx
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning Molly and all who follow :)

Molly you are a wonderful daughter and mother and you just have far too much on your plate at the moment. You really must take some care of YOU or who is going to be there for your parents and your children. In the past, I have made myself really ill with worries like yours and ended up with severe depression caused by stress, which went on for over 6 months, please don't let that happen to you. Apart from seeing your consultant, please take some time for yourself. Hope all is ok at hospital appointment today x

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a super day :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Oh Molly, I'm so sorry to hear your news, so much to cope with. I hope things calm down for you soon & I hope the consultants visit goes ok. You mustn't feel guilty about your dad, hopefully your mum will feel more able to cope once they have moved.
    I've been up since 5, mid year discussion about my appraisal this week, deep joy!
    Mad dog is being very good & totally spoilt by hubby, she sits on his knee for cuddles.
    I managed more sewing last night, alterations for a friend & I now have another job to do tonight. Hopefully I'll get back to my own sewing soon.
    I'm going to feed the fish, take mad dog for a walk & then it will be time for work.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Molly, so sorry to hear of all your worries, what a tough time for you all. As TTFTM said, please take time for yourself. Hope the hospital appt is ok. Big hugs to you.

Overcast here but not raining yet - had lovely weather yesterday and then a thunderstorm about 8pm but it wasn't as exciting as it could have been - my tummy had butterflies with the excitement of a good storm but it was a bit too far away for a good show. Hopefully it will be warm and sunny today.

DD will put the washing out later, I will put it on when I leave for work after my shower etc. Pasta something for tea - made a big sausage roll last night with the sausagemeat that was lurking in the freezer.

Hugs to those in need. Take care. XX
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Molly I am so sorry to hear about your troubles it really is hard looking after someone with dementia its a relentless task, at least in respite you know he will be looked after, Is the move to go ahead then ? I think I would worry about the disruption this will cause to your dear dad.

Looks like rain here and Little dog is quivering in the corner which normally means thunder. Off to work today as is dd we are at the same place which saves a bit of petrol.

Something with pasta tonight might do a chicken pasta bake thing I have some nice olive pasta sauce.

Will do a wash tonight and give the bathroom a good clean through.

Have good days all xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Molly – sounds like you’re having a bit of nightmare at the moment, big hugs x

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs to those that want/need them.

Now sunny and bright, but forecast is for it too cloud over later, and then some sunshine and showers, possibly heavy downpours – we’ll see!
    Dinner last night was ham, egg and chips for the menfolk, I had ham, egg, jacket potato and salad – all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight it’ll probably be spag bol, as I forgot to get some meat out of the freezer to defrost.

Work yesterday was a manic Monday as we had loads of people walk out due to the long waiting times – we can’t work any quicker as each customer has as long as they need with an advisor. We’ll see what today brings – several people said they will return today - deep joy!
    Have an online order coming tonight so that will take care of most of the shopping, will just need to stop off at SM on the way home tomorrow and pick up a couple more bits that I couldn’t get online.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :j

Sending a big hug to Molly this morning, I hope things calm down for you and your parents soon x

DD11 is going to be off school again today due to the 48hr rule even though she is fine. Never mind, it's company for me and a nice bit of rest time for her. She has just had her SATs so is a bit worn out as (proud mum alert) the teachers put her in for all the level 6 tests and she has been studying hard for them. Personally, I don't agree with testing primary school kids and I've heard some horror stories about the pressures some kids find themselves under but I told DD as long as she tried hard then the results didn't matter as I was already proud of her.

DD14 has pulled a muscle in her leg after her martial art class yesterday and is also angling for a day off but I'm going to be a mean mum and send her off to school as she has had a lot of time off this year due to illness and stress. It's hard as I know she hates school but she has to go and that's that.

I'm currently on load 2/5 washing but I'll have to tumble it as it's raining. I have the fan running though as I'm boiling hot. It is a strange muggy day today. The thunderstorm last night didn't really clear the air this time but it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Hubby had a call from the hospital yesterday saying if his pre-op was ok he could have the hernia op next friday. Cue much fretting and worry from me. He is absolutely fine about it. I'm praying that they will be able to do it by keyhole surgery as there is a better recovery from it. I don't know what I would do without him. I've bought him some pj bottoms as he didn't own anything like that and I wanted to spare the nurses the sight of him in his tighty whitey's :rotfl::rotfl:.

Well, that's all my rambling for now, hope you all have a great day and take care xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Molly, your not superwoman. As much as you'd we'd all like to be there for everyone, its just not possible.

Your Mum is in the best place right now for her, hospital.

Your Dad, well the only thing your guilty of is promising him something you couldn't deliver. Respite is the best place for him right now. He will have someone more qualified than you to fuss over his wants and needs. You haven't abandoned him. You've just put him in a place of safety.

Your health is not good, I hope all goes well at the hospital. You need to concentrate on you for now. If your not well, you cant help anyone else can you?

One thing I was told many years ago from when my daughter was so seriously ill and has stuck ever since when I'm in a pit of despair.... Take each day as it comes, break it into half days, or even hours if you have to. You have got through an hour, lets make it two, or even three. Don't look too far ahead.

I remember when I was due to give birth to child number 5. Everything was upside down. My Mom was going to help with the children whilst I was giving birth but my StepFather became seriously ill. I'd got no one to have the kids, I'd got a Mother who quite understandably was falling to pieces and my baby was overdue.... I remember moaning to my husband that I really didn't have time to give birth to this baby. I did and it worked out brilliantly. I gave birth a few minutes after midnight which worked out really well as Mom was back from the hospital by then.

Not much in the way of chores to be done today, just the usual, ritualistic vacuum throughout.... Damn I hate that job.

Tea.... haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Onwards and forwards,
    have a great day all.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Molly, I'm butting in to add my support about your parental worries. The only practical thing I can suggest is that when any of your friends / neighbours / family say 'Is there anything I can do to help?' - say Yes. They can cook a meal for your family, peg out a load of laundry, do the shopping - anything that lifts the time-sapping physical toll on you while you concentrate on working out how to best care for your parents. That will include your father going into respite because you are not qualified to look after all of his health needs. What's happening to your parents must be terrifying for them, but you can't make them better - all you can do is try to alleviate the worst aspects of it and even that is exhausting as I know from experience. Big (((hugs))) for you - I don't know if Daily Thread people do hugs, but Flyladies do all the time, so I hope it's okay.
    Better is good enough.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't normally post here but often read along so I hope you don't mind me posting tody.

MOLLY love, most people with your burden would have gone under long ago , you are a good woman, a good daughter, a good mum and you have your own difficulties in life with health, please take a good look in the mirror and see the strong, caring,dutiful and courageous woman we see from your posts. You are such an inspiration to people and you are doing ALL you possibly can for your family, please please appreciate the person that you are and don't have self doubt. You are OK love, and I hope that life gets much better for all of you very quickly, Lyn xxx.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Molly, other people have said it better than I could but I too think you should give yourself a break, none of what has happened is your fault and you have to accept that. I don't do prayers but I shall be thinking of you, I hope the consultants visit is productive.

DD posted on Facebook that she was a bit homesick for family and friends so I am a tiny bit worried about her, but only a tiny bit because she is back from her business trip today. Most people would laugh at her because she has spent the last four days in Italy touring prosecco wineries and the four days before that in Champagne. I think she had opened her emails last night and was overwhelmed by the amount of work she has to do when she gets back.

I spoke to sis-in-law yesterday and she is talking about downsizing from the family home (DH was born there) which is fine so long as she is doing it for the right reasons, I have my doubts.

Today I want to give the bathrooms a good scrub. Hairy dieters cod wrapped in pancetta for dinner, dH will be on a fast day and I need to be good as well.

Have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport