Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harold.Finch
    • By Harold.Finch 1st May 14, 9:30 AM
    • 59Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Harold.Finch
    Identity Protect Limited - Domain Name Question
    • 1st May 14, 9:30 AM
    Identity Protect Limited - Domain Name Question 1st May 14 at 9:30 AM
    I have a UK domain name which is used for family members email and web pages. When I registered the name I was given the option to 'opt out' of having my contact details displayed when anyone does a whois search on the Nominet site.

I now see that although my details are not displayed the domain is now allocated to 'Identity Protect Limited'. It would seem that either Nominet or my Domain Provider are using this company to provide privacy services and their name and address appear as the owner of the domain.

Further checking reveals that they do now 'own' this domain, although it would immediately revert to me if I opt out of the whois privacy. I have done this and I am once again shown as the owner of my domain, albeit that my contact details are now published.

Sorry if this is a bit technical for many readers on here but those who know about domain registration will understand. Does anyone have any views on this company and the methods used? One obvious implication is that if a person fails to renew their domain, for whatever reason, full ownership may pass to Identity Protect Limited. Any views, just curious?
Page 2
    • Sunnyspell
    • By Sunnyspell 16th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sunnyspell
    It was such a shock, I could not believe they would just make your details public and let everyone see them, it's not like they disclosed them to the police or a court. They removed the protection and the full name and address where showing on the WHOIS search, plain for all to see. Unbelievable!
    • Sunnyspell
    • By Sunnyspell 16th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sunnyspell
    Huh? No -- this was how I set it up. I was fully aware that my name would be listed and my address and contact details omitted.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    That's OK because you were aware of it.
    I never paid for or opted for any kind of privacy service. I just chose to register as an individual (as opposed to a business).

I can't remember whether registering as an individual automatically hides your contact details, or whether you choose to omit them.

But 123-Reg haven't removed or cancelled any privacy I had. It's always been this way. I've had the domains for about ten years, and I don't think they even offered privacy services back then.
    123Reg only started offering that privacy service a few years ago, before it was just what you describe, the opt-out so your address didn't show. Then they set up Identity Protect Ltd to offer the privacy, and they charge around 50% of the cost of the domain registration itself for the privilege of hiding your details.

Not if you're an individual who wants to hide his/her name as well as other details. Or if you're a shady business who doesn't want any comeback.

Maybe there are other valid business reasons; I don't know.
    There are valid reasons, such as when trying to expose people or other businesses. Not everyone registers a domain to do business, and I agree if you are running a business and getting people to pay for services, they should know who you are, but not if you are not doing that.

In this case the shady business would be Identity Protect Ltd because they don't do as it says on the tin!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,552Users online

Martin's Twitter