Claiming PPI

I have pondered about enquiring as to whether I have been mis sold PPI over the past years on numerous occasions. the problem is I no longer have any account numbers to quote so haven't bothered looking in to it any further. As far as I am aware I would never have taken this out as I have always been in a job that pays for sickness, redundancy etc but was just wanting to make enquiries to make sure this was the case. Would the banks/credit card companies accept a letter from me just asking them to check their databases to see if I had taken out PPI or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well they probably would be able to tell you but, if you cant remember if you had it or not, how would you remember whether it had been miss sold and how would you provide the proof that you had.... if you see what I mean.

Is it time to stop pondering????
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mikey_45
    mikey_45 Posts: 19 Forumite
    i had a ppi claim company claim for me 2years &6mths later i have a letter from the bank saying they have upheld my complaint and will send a cheque for £2400 in 28 days the problem i have is they say the ombusmen wrote to me and i was happy with the payout and i have agreed ive never had no contact from no one am not happy with the ppi claim company would they have agreed the payout without speaking to me any thoughts would be helpfull please
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mikey_45 wrote: »
    i had a ppi claim company claim for me 2years &6mths later i have a letter from the bank saying they have upheld my complaint and will send a cheque for £2400 in 28 days the problem i have is they say the ombusmen wrote to me and i was happy with the payout and i have agreed ive never had no contact from no one am not happy with the ppi claim company would they have agreed the payout without speaking to me any thoughts would be helpfull please

Pardon? ,
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think....

The claims company sent his complaint to the ombudsman, the ombudsman ruled in the posters favour, but he believes that the company somehow should have asked him if he was happy with the amount before he accepted it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • mikey_45
    thats right taff, the letter from the bank says i agreed the amount of settlement but i was never told nothing. should i pay the claims company there fee, or who do i complain to about this, dont no what to do. accept or not
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    thats right taff, the letter from the bank says i agreed the amount of settlement but i was never told nothing. should i pay the claims company there fee, or who do i complain to about this, dont no what to do. accept or not
    If the Ombudsman has agreed full redress then you won't get any more than that. If you reject the redress, what will you do then?

The Bank won't offer any more than they are compelled to do.

Accept and pay the Claims Company. You really have no other option.
  • mikey_45
    all the ombudsman did was uphold my complaint. the bank has made a offer the claims company have agreed the offer with the bank. should i have not been told of the offer before they accepted ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    all the ombudsman did was uphold my complaint. the bank has made a offer the claims company have agreed the offer with the bank. should i have not been told of the offer before they accepted ?

You employed the claims company to act on your behalf. As the redress method is defined and not something you haggle, there is no reason to think that they "offer" was wrong.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mikey_45
    i just feel i was not kept up todate with everything. i never heard nothing for 18 mths from them and they are allways late telling me things. feel silly getting them to claim for me now, its not worth the money they get. gee whizz
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    feel silly getting them to claim for me now, its not worth the money they get. gee whizz
    Pity you only realise this now.
    Too late, they've done their "work" and now you'll have to pay them the percentage you agreed when you signed their legally binding contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure