7 kids and counting.......the debt!

Options
dingaling
dingaling Posts: 56 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 April 2014 at 5:45PM in Debt free diaries
Hi:) I have been lurking on these boards for years, used a huge amount of information and tips. Been to Florida courtesy of clubcard etc (those were the days!) done on line surveys, collected points, been frugal. Things got tough there over 3 years ago, marriage broke down so now I'm on my own and much happier for it!

Here is my SOA, its been done in a bit of a rush though:Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 5
Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1850
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 1360
Other income............................ 150
Total monthly income.................... 3360

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 868.1
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 0
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 97
Electricity............................. 50
Gas..................................... 51
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 37
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 100
TV Licence.............................. 12.12
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 78
Internet Services....................... 0
Groceries etc. ......................... 600
Clothing................................ 0
Petrol/diesel........................... 200
Road tax................................ 18
Car Insurance........................... 66
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 100
Car parking............................. 0
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 100
Other child related expenses............ 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10.4
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 50
Buildings insurance..................... 46
Contents insurance...................... 0
Life assurance ......................... 110
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 190
Haircuts................................ 25
Entertainment........................... 0
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Total monthly expenses.................. 2808.62

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 200000
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 1
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 200001

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Mortgage...................... 149000...(868.1)....3.99
Total secured & HP debts...... 149000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
house loan.....................13237.....289.......5.9
tesco cc.......................536.66....14........21.67
next...........................223.34....22........25.99
santander......................1056.04...10........0
virgin.........................5297.77...54.78.....0
barclaycard....................3884......87.39.....0

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• dingaling
    Options
    This is worst case scenario for income etc, my ex dh just left a well paid job and is now SE:eek: he was supporting the kids to the tune of £600, now its £150 so yet again its upto me to pick up the slack:(

Need to look at seeing if I can go full time, I'm currently at 4 days and do extra when I can, its pretty full on with my job, needs must I suppose and a member of my team is retiring in a few months so theres maybe opportunity there to have some of their hours.

This month I am trying to pay off the Next store card and am paying the CB in to it each week, Id like to snowball this then into Tesco card.

Fingers crossed ex dh can support more than he's planning to......could really write a book on this delusional man;)
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Found you and subscribed to follow and cheer you on. :j

I hope your ex can get back up to paying you nearer the £600, that would be a big help, as would going full time. Hope the older children help out at home!

A few things on your SOA that look high are mobiles - but I guess that covers some of the children and satellite/cable tv - could the package be reduced a bit?

Buildings insurance looks high too, even if it includes contents.

And life insurance :eek: Might be worth shopping around and seeing if you could lower that and get home insurance cheaper too.

Good plan already with snowball and keep your diary up ;)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,633 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy new diary :)
    Keep posting :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dingaling
    Options
    Thanks Ali and Beanie:)

I pay for the boys mobiles, they were on a tariff originally that they went over drastically as they weren't capped and they were really too young (12-14) to be that responsible, they are now on £15 each which I would like to reduce to sim only once the time comes, they will also start paying once they get a job. 2 of them have already bought old iphones etc. I cant change mine to sim only till June.

Satellite tv includes broadband and landline. We don't use the landline, theres not even a phone plugged in but it is cheaper to keep it on the package.

Life insurance is high, £88 of it is life and sickness (!) the other £30 is a policy from when I was married that I need to look at, it pays a monthly wage until the youngest child turns 18, however, not sure if divorce affects it.

Off to SIL tomorrow for annual easter egg hunt, really think my boys are getting a bit big for carrying pastel coloured buckets!

Went to cinema this afternoon and saw Love Punch, Pierce Brosnan really cannot act, Emma Thompson though is lovely, film was a bit blah, in my very unprofessional opinion, I rate it 2/5! I have an unlimited card paid for with clubcard. Brilliant for 241 weds, my eldest boy also has a card so 4 of us can go to the cinema for nothing.

Bought petrol today £50 in SB using 7p off a litre, popped into the store for eggs and managed to get some YS fresh food bits, especially pleased to find some vegan ones for dd1 as she's home tonight just for tomorrow and now she has food in my fridge which isn't chips!:j

Tesco delivered today £84, probably only got 3 dinners in there:(. I've really lost my mojo with this, if anyone finds it, please let me know! DD2 gets Tesco staff discount but not for much longer, I'll miss that 10%, really makes a difference!

Have a lovely Easter!

Dinga
    x
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI dingaling

Followed you over from Ali's diary - what caught my eye was the 7 kids:rotfl:

I come from a large family - there were 6 kids :eek: (my mum is one of 11 and my dad one of 6:eek:)

I can't imagine a large family and just have 2 kids although my DH thinks my family are great (he was basically an only child).

Anyway to keep this MSE ...... do you meal plan?
    I find that when I don't meal plan and I just buy as we go we spend loads.
    Have you been on to OldStyle boards - they have some great ideas for saving money with food.

Could you put the slow cooker on every morning and then just do potatoes/rice/pasta/cous cous when you get home from work?

What sort of things do you usually cook?

A lot of people use Approved Food but I find it is mainly processed food and also they don't show ingredients and as my DH is intolerant of onion I don't want to buy stuff he can't have as then I have to cook 2 meals.
  • dingaling
    Options
    Hello Eager_Elephant!

Lovely to see you over here!

I was one of 3, fairly standard but my best friend growing up was the youngest of 7 and I adored the dynamics of her family. Saying that, we thought we were done at 6! Number 7 was a very happy hiccup, some children are meant to be! Thats a story for another day:-)

WE do normally meal plan, I find we have a lot less waste if we follow this, I have even got super organised with tesco, each list is numbered 1-8 and I just order that list according to what menu we're following that week. However, I am in the last few weeks of an extension and currently have no kitchen (for last 3 weeks and for probably the next 2). I do have a sink and a very small oven. Consequently we are eating processed foods, ie nuggets and chips, aren't we posh lol! We're even eating them on paper plates! I am very excited about the extension but this has been going on 6 months (due to very inefficient builders)and I've really had enough now, my boys have their GCSEs this year and no where to study here:( it will be lovely when its finished, thats my new mantra! Can't wait for a decent food prep area and my new ovens! Ooooo the baking will be immense!

I looked at approved foods a few years ago and nothing really appealed back then. I do need to sort out the meal plans though, DD1 is moving back home from uni in a couple of months and she is vegan and wants us to eat vegetarian food monday to friday! I can do it, not sure the 4 teenage boys can :D Budgeting is the reason she wants to do it, nothing to do with trying to convert us........I think:rotfl:

Today was a NSD. Took drinks I had delivered to my SIL house. Kids had a great time, ate tonnes of chocolate and spent hours killing each other with nerf guns. Great to see all the family, including my brother, which was great, don't get to see him that often. Sadly his wife died 6 weeks ago leaving him on his own with their two teenage children. He was looking ok but he's struggling a bit with going back to work and juggling everything. He's been reluctant to have my mum there, think its a pride thing. So sad, in the long run I know he will be ok, kids too, he's a good dad.

Money wise, I really need more lol! I need to get some bits on ebay, my motivation is still on a sunbed in egypt!
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    I grew up only having meat on weekends, friday night was pizza and chips (mum muixed s/r flour and water to a dough and fried it to make the base, chips were made in a chip pan), i think one day was hm quiche, lots of lentils and tvp. We also used to have pudding every day-often a hm microwaved sponge pudding with hm custard or value icecream-my favourite was ginger sponge with lemon sauce. wait and see always turned out to be tinned peaches with icecream. I don't know your current pudding situation but maybe the boys will go for being vege more readily if it includes the bonus of a pud?
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi dingaling,
    It looks like you've already got a good plan. I'd second the slow cooker, especially as it sounds like you've already got a very busy life, and may be taking more on with work.
    Good luck with everything :)
    Gib x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• dingaling
    Options
    I grew up only having meat on weekends, friday night was pizza and chips (mum muixed s/r flour and water to a dough and fried it to make the base, chips were made in a chip pan), i think one day was hm quiche, lots of lentils and tvp. We also used to have pudding every day-often a hm microwaved sponge pudding with hm custard or value icecream-my favourite was ginger sponge with lemon sauce. wait and see always turned out to be tinned peaches with icecream. I don't know your current pudding situation but maybe the boys will go for being vege more readily if it includes the bonus of a pud?

Lol! Boys will do anything for more food! They will eat it, they'll go hungry if they dont:D but it needs to be filling! These boys have empty legs!

I will get the slow cooker out again, it wasn't that successful before, the kids aren't keen on stews etc, however needs must. Google will be my friend;)
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    Did you know you can do jacket potatoes in the slow cooker? I did one the other day and it was awesome, and you can do paella and risotto!
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport