Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 28th Jan 14, 10:09 PM
    • 584Posts
    • 305Thanks
    AlisonW
    Everest double glazing. Any good?
    • 28th Jan 14, 10:09 PM
    Everest double glazing. Any good? 28th Jan 14 at 10:09 PM
    As the title says really. Has anyone used them recently and would you recommend them?
Page 1
    • Ionkontrol
    • By Ionkontrol 28th Jan 14, 10:26 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Ionkontrol
    • 28th Jan 14, 10:26 PM
    • 28th Jan 14, 10:26 PM
    If you like the idea of paying at least double for a product, go ahead.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 28th Jan 14, 10:38 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 28th Jan 14, 10:38 PM
    • 28th Jan 14, 10:38 PM
    Massively overpriced with a real hard sell.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • 27col
    • By 27col 29th Jan 14, 2:38 PM
    • 6,452 Posts
    • 4,213 Thanks
    27col
    • 29th Jan 14, 2:38 PM
    • 29th Jan 14, 2:38 PM
    I won't comment on the cost, but I could not fault the installation in any way. Can't really complain about the hard sell as we invited them.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 29th Jan 14, 3:54 PM
    • 21,193 Posts
    • 36,777 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 29th Jan 14, 3:54 PM
    • 29th Jan 14, 3:54 PM
    I spent a couple of years as a Rep, that was about 30yrs ago. At the time i use to tell people i believed it was by far the best. I'd say that to people who just asked about but weren't a prospective customer.
    I still believe it's probably one of the better products but would i pay the extra for it, No.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 31st Jan 14, 8:49 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 31st Jan 14, 8:49 PM
    • 31st Jan 14, 8:49 PM
    Well, we got a quote from them on Wednesday for three windows, one of which is, admittedly, a large picture window. The price, with alleged discount, was more than it cost to replace all the windows and two exterior doors in our terraced house. Still picking my jaw back up off the floor
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 31st Jan 14, 11:03 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 31st Jan 14, 11:03 PM
    • 31st Jan 14, 11:03 PM
    Well, they have to pay for all that television advertising somehow. Better to find a local company that's been trading for a reasonably long time.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 1st Feb 14, 9:10 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 1st Feb 14, 9:10 AM
    • 1st Feb 14, 9:10 AM
    We'd mistakenly thought that they would have the edge over small local firms due to economies of scale. Also was under the misapprehension that the days of unscrupulous double glazing salesmen were in the past. How wrong we were.
    I suppose the main way they get people is by offering credit, which smaller local firms can't do. I dread to think how long it would take before you would see value for money in terms of reduced heating costs set against paying off such over inflated prices. As usual the people who can least afford it end up paying more.
    Do Everest still advertise on the TV. I don't remember seeing one for a while. I still always think of Ted Moult and his hardwood surrounds when Everest is mentioned.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 1st Feb 14, 2:26 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    Furts
    • 1st Feb 14, 2:26 PM
    • 1st Feb 14, 2:26 PM
    Hi AlisonW
    What Everest do not tell you, as far as I know, is they do not manufacture any windows. They obtain their windows from the same low cost "trade" outlets that any mse user could go along to and buy the windows from. But of course, this purchase would be at a fraction of the Everest quote.

In 2012 I bought windows for my home by this route, and IIRR, there was an order for Everest on the adjacent pack. I had not sought an Everest quote because I knew it would be a waste of my, and their, time.

At least Anglian make their own windows - not that they are any good!

Hope this helps.
  • Essex the Strawberry
    Everest Windows
    Hi
    I have had 6 window installations by Everest and i can say they are up there with the best,one of the windows has been installed facing a south facing garden so was exposed to high summer temperatures and in winter freezing conditions for over 20 years and i haven't had a single problem.Also check out Anglian same product but be ware if you want a door there will be a gap of 3mm between the door frame and the door due to removing a seal and they haven't modified the door.I hope this helps.
    Everest purchase the frames from a company in Germany and i believe they manufacture the Glass sealed units themselves but in any case they guarantee the sealed units for at least 20 years to a lifetime covered by Barclays.
    Last edited by Essex the Strawberry; 23-02-2014 at 2:15 PM.
    • ic
    • By ic 23rd Feb 14, 4:37 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    ic
    I had a local tradesman fit replacement windows and a door recently - he told me he originally trained and worked with Everest 25 years ago, and assured me they were a quality product and fit. As everybody else is saying, you pay a premium for the name, and can otherwise get the same product elsewhere. They do give the hard sell, and will take a long time to go away.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 23rd Feb 14, 4:45 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 11,811 Thanks
    globetraveller
    there were shocking sales tactics for us. The quote we got was ridiculous and once they realised we were getting other quotes and weren't interested in paying what they wanted, the HALVED the quote. By that time the last thing I was doing was give them my business. So supposedly, they get enough folks on the first quote to make it worthwhile p eeing off everyone else. We went for a local, but big, company who weren't the cheapest but had the best reviews and quality.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
    • Polly05
    • By Polly05 5th Mar 14, 8:03 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Polly05
    I know someone who has everest windows, from years ago when they were good. But in the last couple of years ive heard of a few people who have had bad experiences with them.. so its sounds like theyre not as good as they used to be.. its certainly put me off using them..
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 4th Jun 14, 5:26 PM
    • 6,058 Posts
    • 4,295 Thanks
    vansboy
    Saw a Grand Designs - or similar prog, where the retired lady was selling her house and having an amazing new home built in the grounds, with a huge glass area...which went a bit wrong.

The company who installed it, did put things right, with all the company names and logos hidden.

She was really very sweet about the whole mess and delays, saying she chose them because 'they were the best'.

And other Moneysavers who remember the earlier ad campaigns, who can read between the lines, they don't actually claim to be the best, what was actually said was... blah blah blah....'Fit the best...Everest...' so what they are doing is advising you to fit the best, then mentioning their name and not saying it is them!

And about the same time, another company was claiming to be Britains BEST double glazing...Thermastor. Featured on Tomorrows World with gas filled sealed units, with a wide gap.

Wonder what happened to them.

VB
    • Bigstevehill
    • By Bigstevehill 23rd Nov 15, 6:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigstevehill
    Don't do it....
    NOT CHEAP.. Terrible after sales service won't ring back very bad workmanship not happy
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 23rd Nov 15, 7:55 PM
    • 21,725 Posts
    • 55,439 Thanks
    pollypenny
    There are pages and pages on Everest on the Warnings board.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

9,370Users online

Martin's Twitter