Bill from neighbours for tree damage

Options
Hi
Not sure if this is the right section but I just wanted some other opinions. We have some 20ft high conifers in our garden on border line with our neighbours. During the recent storm one fell into their front garden and another 2 plus a small one (4 inch diameter) were leaning over. The first we knew of this was the sound of chainsaws at 9am when they had already got a tree company in too remove the one that fell and cut down the other 2 1/2. All 4 stumps left at about 3ft high.
He told us it was a friends company. Roll on 3 wks and he gives me a bill for £700. This seems very expensive especially as our tree man we use would have charged a fraction of this priceu.
I do accept we have to pay but given the fact he gave us no option to sort it ourselves and it is a friends company can we dispute the amount.
We have not been in the house long and the neighbour does not really speak to us due to their religious beliefs.
All opinions gratefully received x

Comments

• Personally I'd get a quotation or two from some reputable surgeons as to what it would have cost and offer to pay that amount (make the offer in writing, recorded delivery). If they refuse that offer let them take you to small claims court, with your evidence of a lower price.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    betsie wrote: »
    Hi
    I do accept we have to pay but given the fact he gave us no option to sort it ourselves and it is a friends company can we dispute the amount.

I don't think you do have a legal obligation to pay because this was a result of storm damage. If the neighbours had previously told you that the trees were dangerous and you hadn't done anything to mitigate the problem, then you could have held responsible.

If you want to be very good neighbours, you could ask your treeman what he would have charged and hand that over.
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Might this be covered by your buildings insurance?

I dont have a clue about this kind of this as I rent so dont have it, but it seems like the kind of thing that should be?
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was another thread about this recently - a neighbour's tree had fallen over in the storms and broken their shed. The conclusion was that it wasn't the neighbour's responsibility. I can't find the link - maybe someone else could provide it?
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is the bill from the company or from the neighbour?
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would definitely be getting another quote. £700 to remove trees seems steep to me.

They don't really speak to you due to their religious beliefs? Meh, if you don't pay what's the worst that can happen, they totally stop speaking to you? They don't sound like great neighbours to be honest so I wouldn't be bending over backwards to accommodate them, they should have consulted you before beginning any work.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Also did they come into your property to carry out the work? Pretty sure they're not allowed to do this without your permission.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    I think if a tree is overhanging, they could cut it down from their side of the property, happened to my mum, a neighbour of hers cut back a couple of her trees.

Id seek advice before parting with any cash. They took it upon themselves to cut the trees down, they could simply have asked you to deal with it yourself.

Edit, sorry, it does look like they came into your garden to cut the trees down.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I think they are allowed to come in if there is genuine immediate worry about serious damage - and it sounds as if there might have been.
    I also think it is possible that the rather large charge was made because the tree surgeon came out as an emergency (to his good frinds)

I think that if you were in (sounds as if you were) and they didn't give you any chance to discuss options, then you have a good moral case for doing as posters suggest and offer a standard charge.
    I would certainly be making the point that you had no chance yourselves to assess the damage or potential danger and deal with it.

Am interested in a religion that forbids speaking to neighbours and allows members to overcharge for services - I can think of times I might have liked to belong!
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your tree fell into their garden, why didn't they just come over & ask you to remove it? You could have then selected the company etc

Are you seriously saying it fell in, they hired someone to chop it up and then just handed you the bill?

That's ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport