Kitchen Scappage Scheme

Options
Just received an automated phone call mentioning a kitchen scappage scheme - apparently being paid for scapped kitchen items and getting a discount on new energy saving kitchen. There was no mention in the recording of which organisation had initiated the call.

Is this the Magnet scheme or does anyone else do this?

I was annoyed at receiving the call as it is obviously a sales call and we are registered with the TPS that we don't want such calls. The call finished with "press 2" to find out more or "press 8" to be removed from the calling list. I did neither - they shouldn't be calling us any way but I'd like to be able to complain about it and, of course, BT could not provide a number for a call back.

Comments

• cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems like it must be....surprised at Magnet using those tactics though....it won't do them any favours.

Don't know of anyone else who is trying to remarket a Sale by calling it a scrappage scheme.

This has got them a fair bit of coverage in the green media, but it is just another way of trying to sell people new kitchens.

Making PPI style automated cold calls may generate publicity in the opposite way......

Unless of course it is Vance Miller......most of the worst practices in kitchen sales eminate from him or his associates....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Saw an advert on the telly few days ago by some window company advertising a "window scrappage scheme". They made it all sound official and real.

Seems like everyone is in on the act.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a marketing gimmick, nothing more. They aren't offering free anything. They are just hiding the cost elsewhere.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a scam! Utterly shameless.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    tired_dad wrote: »
    What a scam! Utterly shameless.

The only surprise is that anyone is surprised at such behavior today:(:(:(
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't know whether I'd get anywhere with the TPS because if BT don't have the number to call back (which I think may mean it originated overseas?) and no company name was given, there is no one for them to contact.

The message was delivered by what sounded like a native English speaker - sounding very similar to, if not identical to, that used in recent months in connection with the "free" boiler offer and using the "dial 2 for more information option" as used then too.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just realised that scam sounds very like spam.

In this case you have received a large can of both.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had exactly the same message as OP left on my phone yesterday. Didn't take up the offer of pressing keys at the end, so no idea who the calling company was.

1471 gave the number as 'network unable to transmit numbers'.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that making do with your old kitchen will be "greener" than buying a new one, just as making do with an old car is greener than scrapping it and buying a new one.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What exactly is an 'energy-saving kitchen'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure