PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Good value coffee?

Options
Bella79
Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 27 August 2013 at 8:51PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all

Im looking for a decent reasonable priced coffee. Anyone tried lidls or aldis?

I dont like anything too strong, but do enjoy gold blend, nescafe orig

Thank you :j
Click 'reply' below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren't sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm - I've given up on instant coffee & have a couple of cups of filter coffee, made in a car-boot-bought cafetiere, first thing, then drink tea & herbal tea for the rest of the day. And I can vouch for LIDL's gold filter coffee, at £3.49 for 500g, which appeals very much to my tastebuds & lasts more or less exactly the same length of time as OH's 200g jar of instant, usually costing around £3.99. This includes several extra pots, as my friends seem to love it too, so that's what gets made when they come round, rather than instant. So I'd reccommend picking up an inexpensive cafetiere & trying it; you can make it weaker or stronger, as you prefer, just by varying the amount you put in and the length of time you leave the plunger up. Works out cheaper than instant, & nicer too.
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't buy instant coffee either, it's awful. I buy Aldi ground coffee (around £1.50 per bag) or if it's for my Oh who likes his coffee extra strong, I get the £1.79 5-rated Java also from Aldi.

You can pick up a cafetiere in a lot of charity shops, or just a small own brand one from Argos for less than £8.00.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lidl's 'standard' instant isn't bad - it's what my dad drinks so I've tried it when visiting him and it tastes fine to me (although perhaps better not as strong as he tends to make it ;)). I've bought their fairtrade one on occasion and that's OK but not brilliant, which is a pity as I only ever buy fairtrade coffee for myself.

Cafetiere coffee is lovely but I limit it to special occasions as dealing with the coffee grounds is too much of a hassle for me for everyday!
  • nich29580
    nich29580 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    I quite enjoy Rappor £1.50 at Asda or Asdas own brand Gold Roast at £1.50....im a coffee junkie and both of these satisfy me in terms of instant on a budget

hope this helps
    xoxo
    Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body - Geoege Carlin
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy coffee from Aldi. Its called Alcafe Rich Roast. I can't remember how much it is, but not a lot being as its Aldi. I used to drink Nescalf.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I buy the ground coffee from Aldi that kboss mentioned, it's cheap enough to treat myself to the java and ethiopia blends which are different strengths so I can have what I want depending on my mood.

I've never tried Aldi's own instant but MIL buys the Lidl one and it's disgusting, tastes like dirty dishwater, no real coffee taste and has a funny smell. She only buys it for guests as she's a tea drinker but I've had to stop drinking coffee at her house because it's so bad.
  • glitterkitty
    Options
    Personally instant coffee wise I love carte noir, but I realise that's rather spendy (so I got the mahoosive, normally £6.50 a jar size, from sainsburys when it was £4!) but I have to say morrisons own brand gold roast I think it's called is also rather nice.
    the only debt left now is on credit cards! The evil loan has gone!! :j:j
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never tried Aldi or Lido coffee but have tried Morrison's - tastes like Nescafe which to me is revolting! Tesco's is bad too but Sainsburys own is a good substitute for the more expensive brands. I drink decaf but the normal is just as good. Highly recommended.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • richj
    richj Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    like the ground coffee from aldi, and sainsbury had cheap cafetierres
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I echo thriftwizard re. lidl gold filter coffee, I serve it regularly to a very fussy DS and he loves it.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure