ESA, PIP and housing benefit

Options
I am new to sickness benefits and have never had to even think about it before but at the moment I am signed off from work and it's looking like it may become long term so I want to start arming myself with information.

Currently applying for IS and PIP as I'm on SSP, which I think will run out some time in November if I don't go back before then.

I am single and under 35 meaning that I am entitled to the shared room rate only.

What would I have to be in receipt of in order to qualify for the 1 bedroom rate? Is it based on what level of PIP I receive (if any)? Or is it also based on ESA?

I have applied for PIP but of course it is still something of an unknown so I may not receive it, although the look on my doctor's face yesterday suggests I am in for the long haul and very much need additional support, particularly while I fester on waiting lists for treatment.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    Options
    Could I ask why you have applied for IS? You do not appear to meet any of the criteria (lone parent and carer being the main ones).

Have you been able to pay your own rent for the past 52 weeks? If so you should qualify for help towards the full rent amount for the first thirteen weeks of your claim. You will not qualify for the full amount to be paid, but the full rent will be classed as your eligible amount, rather than just the LHA rate.
  • 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    When I did some checking round and when I called I was advised I may be eligible for some IS due to being on SSP but not yet eligible for ESA.

If I get nothing then fair enough, don't know until I try.

I think I'm just shy of 52 weeks, I was claiming JSA until 8th October last year before starting university, which has also had to be put on hold for now.
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    SSP is higher than IS would be (if you were eligible), plus you do not meet any of the criteria. There is no point in applying.

Unfortunately you will not qualify for the thirteen week rent protection - they are strict on the 52 week qualifying period.
  • 925dancer
    Options
    Well they went through my application and didn't tell me I wasn't eligible. Oh well, if it comes back no then that's fine.

I'm about to fall into med change side effect black hole for the next couple of weeks so don't imagine I'll care too much!
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    925dancer wrote: »
    Well they went through my application and didn't tell me I wasn't eligible. Oh well, if it comes back no then that's fine.

I'm about to fall into med change side effect black hole for the next couple of weeks so don't imagine I'll care too much!

Front line staff are not there to assess your entitlement, just to check you have completed the form correctly. SSP is £86.70 per week, IS is £71.70. As your income is higher, you would have no entitlement.
  • 925dancer
    Options
    Ok, well now we've established the answer to a question I didn't ask and have saved me three minutes of posting time.

Can anyone help with my original question?
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    I am new to sickness benefits and have never had to even think about it before but at the moment I am signed off from work and it's looking like it may become long term so I want to start arming myself with information.

Currently applying for IS and PIP as I'm on SSP, which I think will run out some time in November if I don't go back before then.

I am single and under 35 meaning that I am entitled to the shared room rate only.

What would I have to be in receipt of in order to qualify for the 1 bedroom rate? Is it based on what level of PIP I receive (if any)? Or is it also based on ESA?

I have applied for PIP but of course it is still something of an unknown so I may not receive it, although the look on my doctor's face yesterday suggests I am in for the long haul and very much need additional support, particularly while I fester on waiting lists for treatment.

Thanks for any help!
    This a link to PIP points and may help you understand a little more. https://www.gov.uk/return-to-work-credit/overview - have a read through it and see if there is anything in it that means that you may qualify for it. I think it will be very hard to get it at all. Sincerely hope that there is something in there that will help you to get it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have no idea what your sickness is. I would strongly advise you to find a website giving advice for whatever you have and they may be able to help you find out what benefits you are entitled to.., and how best to apply for them to maximise your chances of success.

My son has ASD.., and there are at least three places I can go to for advice.., including Disability UK.

I hope this helps.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok, well now we've established the answer to a question I didn't ask and have saved me three minutes of posting time.

Can anyone help with my original question?

To qualify for the one bed LHA rate for under 35 you will need to be receiving the severe disability premium which is awarded if you are on the standard or enhanced rate of the Daily Living Component of PIP.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/4445/
  • 925dancer
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    To qualify for the one bed LHA rate for under 35 you will need to be receiving the severe disability premium which is awarded if you are on the standard or enhanced rate of the Daily Living Component of PIP.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/4445/

Thank you! I had confirmed this elsewhere too but you've explained it clearly for me.

For others who have replied, I have checked my eligibility for PiP and there is a chance I will get the daily living component but it's a mental health issue and we all know how hard it can be to "prove" you really do need the help. However, my doctor is incredibly supportive and fighting my corner. Somewhat irrelevant to my question given all I needed to know was the above but now the nosy parkers can satisfied and make their own judgements as to my need for state assistance.

It must also be noted my sarcasm and tolerance to people is also severely diminished at the moment, hence my being a bit snippy........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure