Help! Daughters hair has been ruined at hairdressers

Options
My daughter went to the hairdresser on Friday, she took with her a photograph to show the stylist the exact style and colour.
My daughters hair had had blond, caramel highlights last visit to the salon which was about 8 months ago
The stylist said that it would be nice to do ombre colour on her hair.
DD had never heard of this, but the stylist explained that it was the same as the picture (Kate Beckinsale).
So magazines were handed out, tea was brought, process started.
The effect in the picture is of dark hair with a few golden (I think) flashes going through the hair, lighter at the bottom and dark at the top. No line between the two colours, its a very delicate graduation. The effect is really nice.
When the process was over and the hair washed the stylist said it may take another trip to the hairdresser to get the effect right and it would take a few washes to blend properly.
Once the hair was dry the full horror of the colouring was very obvious.
From the roots and the following three inches was dark
The next five inches was even darker
Then just about jaw level to the end of the hair (about 8 inches) was a very bleached blond effect.
So stripes of one inch, three inches and eight inches.
The dark hair and the blond seperated by an almost straight line.
All the staff commented on how lovely it was, took photos.
Although my daughter said she wasnt sure, they tried to assure her that this was the proper effect and that the lights in the salon didnt do the colour justice.
It actually looks like her roots have grown for 2 years and she hasnt had a salon appointment in a very long time.
Over the weekend she has become more and more upset, it does look a mess, it cost £100+.
She felt awkward and embarrassed by the staff when she wasnt sure it looked right.
The salon opens tomorrow, she want to go in and speak to them.
She is afraid that they will offer to fix it, this is the last thing she wants because it was such a disaster the first time.
What are her rights?
Can anyone help?

Comments

• jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    Options
    Her rights are for them to remedy the problem. It is unlikely they will offer a refund or to pay for somewhere else to do the work without at least allowing them the opportunity to do it themselves.

I know how she feels though - I am excellent at complaining until it comes to my hair - I have been known to have it done and then promptly go elsewhere to sort it out!
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a picture we could look at to see the colouring?

At £100+ I'd expect this to be a decent salon.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Options
    I do have a pic, but I wouldnt dare to put it on here.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Do you have a picture we could look at to see the colouring?

At £100+ I'd expect this to be a decent salon.
    And all have a good laugh.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just put it in paint and paint over her face.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not to have a laugh at anyone's expense, but to look at the colour and see what solutions if any are needed and what you can do.

Like I say, for £100+ I'd expect this to be a higher end salon, and possibly some totally on-trend technique has been used on your daughter. Think hair magazine type trends which don't translate well to the high street.

Anyway, just an idea. Perhaps take a photo from the back?

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP, if you google images of ombre hair, many of the styles, especially on straight hair, do just look like their roots have grown out and they haven't bothered to re-do them, it's not a good look, even on celebrities.

Not saying that they haven't made even more of a mess of it than it should be, but it's a shame your daughter didn't know how bad it can look before she let them do it.

Hopefully if she goes back and complains they'll dye it all one colour for her.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When the process was over and the hair washed the stylist said it may take another trip to the hairdresser to get the effect right and it would take a few washes to blend properly.

Being male i'm afraid i dont realy understand how this sort of hair styling works but this bit stands out at me.

Might it be worth talking to them, saying she is not really happy with how it has turned out, do they think it will improve after being washed a few times, if not what can they do to help.

Not sure what if any legislation covers hair styling but if you go in there demanding a refund or payment for somewhere else to correct it, they are likely to just decide its not worth keeping her as a customer and
  • tinkerbell28
    tinkerbell28 Posts: 2,720 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but ombre hair is hideous. That is exactly what it looks like to me, even on celebrities who I presume use top stylists.

It looks like roots are well overdue and blocks of colour where roots have been left. Hard to say if they've been negligent or not really.....when that's exactly how I'd describe ombre colour.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Options
    I think perhaps the hairdresser looked at the photo, decided what she wanted to do that day.
    Used the word ombre to describe what she was going to do. Knowing it wasnt what was in the picture. Then went ahead anyway.
    Having never heard the word ombre before, my daughter was under the impression that the picture and ombre were the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure