Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lilyann1
    Painting New Plaster
    • 1st Jun 07, 8:09 AM
    Painting New Plaster 1st Jun 07 at 8:09 AM
    We have just had our hall stairs landing plastered.We originally wanted it skimmed but the plasterer who has done it for us,did pva bond first then 3 coats of plaster.He has told us to leave it dry for 2 weeks then paint it in cheap white emulsion first before we paint it its colour.
    Two friends who have had their houses plastered said oh no you have to seal it first with a watered down pva solution or it may bobble????
    Any real advice welcome please ???
Page 1
  • Dave Brooker
    • 1st Jun 07, 9:58 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 9:58 AM
    We have just had our hall stairs landing plastered.We originally wanted it skimmed but the plasterer who has done it for us,did pva bond first then 3 coats of plaster.He has told us to leave it dry for 2 weeks then paint it in cheap white emulsion first before we paint it its colour.
    Two friends who have had their houses plastered said oh no you have to seal it first with a watered down pva solution or it may bobble????
    Originally posted by lilyann1
    Why ignore the advice of the plasterer?

Always best to take advice from professionals rather than rank amatuers...
  • ChasingButterflies
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:03 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:03 AM
    Our plasterer told us to paint with watered down paint too... I have done with no problems!

Happy painting!
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 1st Jun 07, 10:34 AM
    • 13,147 Posts
    • 9,489 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:34 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:34 AM
    It's an old argument that comes up regularly and you'll find those that swear by using PVA bond onto bare plaster and those that swear against it.

Some advice from the DIY Doctor - lots more from Google if you search for new plaster PVA

I'm not so confident that 2 weeks is long enough though, especially as you have three coats of plaster I'd leave it as long as I possibly could.

All the PVA does is to "seal" the plaster - but a coat or two of diluted emulsion will do the same job - your choice. Having had a new extension completed in September, I just used diluted cheap emulsion. Be warned though, you can literally see the plaster sucking the first coat in! But this is what you want.

Also remember that the plaster will continue to dry out for months and you'll get some cracking in the corners and where the ceiling joins the wall. Then, you'll either have to patch this up - or simply leave the final decoration for 12 months
    • mpython
    • By mpython 1st Jun 07, 10:55 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 104,045 Thanks
    mpython
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:55 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 10:55 AM
    Quite a lot of companies sell products for sealing plaster.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_basecoat.html

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=32372&ts=91651#

I would recommend letting the plaster dry properly first though. You will see it go through various shades before its dried thoroughly.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 1st Jun 07, 11:02 AM
    • 14,315 Posts
    • 13,628 Thanks
    olly300
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:02 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:02 AM
    Take the advice of the plasterer. They would have gone to college to learn that skill so they know what they are talking about.
  • weekendwarrior
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:35 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:35 AM
    Don't use PVA!!!!

PVA is not designed to be used as a primer for painting, just like it should not be used as a tiling primer in wet areas.

See here-

Painting new plaster

PVA and tiling
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 1st Jun 07, 11:41 AM
    • 13,147 Posts
    • 9,489 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:41 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:41 AM
    Take the advice of the plasterer. They would have gone to college to learn that skill so they know what they are talking about.
    Originally posted by olly300
    Then Google and see how many plasterers and decorators disagree with using PVA

I wonder what was done before PVA was invented/available :rolleyes:
  • Alisonsvilla
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:45 AM
    • 1st Jun 07, 11:45 AM
    I had my living room re plastered 4 weeks ago.
    I have had a painter round and she said there is a new paint out that can go straight onto the walls-so that is what I am having done next week.

I am only having the walls white-I am happy with that and the walls are dry now.
  • Avoriaz
    Where is Nelly when you need him?

Nelly, get your a$$ over here.
  • misgrace
    Originally posted by lilyann1
    I would leave it longer than 2 weeks, as he did a bonding plaster first, I presume it was back to the brick, then on top he did another two coats.
    The thing is the whole paster from inside out can take months to dry out, hence you show never use PVA on top of new plaster.
    This will seal the moisture and not allow the plaster to breath, the plaster must be allowed to breathe and dry in its own time.

Never ever use silk paint in this case, and never use Vinynl matt, get ordinary super matt, you dont even have to buy these paint that you can put on wet plaster, personally I would never use them, I am a professional P&D been in the game over 25 years, and no matter what products they bring out I am still wary.
    I stick to the tried and tested method, and its never let me down yet.

The onus is on you, a lot op have said used watered down emulsion as your miscoat/sealing coat, and the is by far the way to go.

You have a lot of plaster there, and I would still wait longer, but I am not a plastererer, Nelly the plasterer on here will guide you as he definately knows his stuff, and he will give you the right advice.
  • misgrace
    I had my living room re plastered 4 weeks ago.
    I have had a painter round and she said there is a new paint out that can go straight onto the walls-so that is what I am having done next week.

I am only having the walls white-I am happy with that and the walls are dry now.
    Originally posted by Alisonsvilla
    Actually its not a new paint as such, yes there is paint that you can paint on wet plaster, or plaster that is drying out, but depends on what plastering you have had done.

If you only had a skimmed plaster, then you wait approx 4-7 days for the plaster to dry out, then you can put on a vinyl paint, but only matt, or supermatt with is mainly for new plaster.

If like I mentioned in the previous page its gone back to the brick like lilyann's has, or I get the impression it has, then you must leave it for a long long time,(months) before you start paint vinyl or silk.

Unless there is something else new on the market.,that I dont know about.:confused:
  • handyman.
    this pva argument is so annoying. No one has ever posted a link to a paint manufactures site that recommends pva on walls first. They all say a mist coat (or plaster sealer.) Do these people who recommend using pva just 'forget' that pva is designed to re activate when wet? Thats why plasterers use it!

I would think the paint manufacturers would know better than anyone.
    • home_alone
    • By home_alone 1st Jun 07, 4:35 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    home_alone
    The best of both worlds is use a cheap emulsion watered down with PVA, from the horses mouth.

gary
  • handyman.
    The best of both worlds is use a cheap emulsion watered down with PVA, from the horses mouth.

gary
    Originally posted by home_alone

thanks gary...........a perfect example of a made up, ill advised post, which is just adds confusion to the subject.

As i say, I will presume the manufactures of the paint know much much more than you when it comes to putting there produce on new plaster
  • PROFESSIONAL LANDLORD

gary

NOPE ! that advice came from the OTHER END of the horse.:rolleyes:
  • spankymonkey
    my house is covered in old artex and would be a pain to remove so we had ours plastered , our walls were coated with pva and water before the plaster and a diluted coat of paint a week after the walls were plastered. just to be on the safe side i painted the walls twice with diluted paint... no problems here whatsoever!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • Avoriaz

gary

NOPE ! that advice came from the OTHER END of the horse.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by PROFESSIONAL LANDLORD
    The other end of a Bull I think.
  • handyman.
    my house is covered in old artex and would be a pain to remove so we had ours plastered , our walls were coated with pva and water before the plaster and a diluted coat of paint a week after the walls were plastered. just to be on the safe side i painted the walls twice with diluted paint... no problems here whatsoever!
    Originally posted by spankymonkey

thats exactly what should happen........pva for plastering, watered down paint on the plaster
  • nelly
    When I have to skimm over old plastered walls I give it TWO coats of pva before skiming

1 coat does not seal it completely, you have to give it a second coat after the first has dried/set.

So I'd say give it weak coat of PVA however I have heard all different manner of methods sworne by.

On the drying aspect - when it has all gone the light colour thats when its ok to paint you dont have to wait weeks and weeks and weather/drying conditions have a major effect on it all too.

I did a conservatory this morning that'll probably be paintable tommorow

I broke my record too, 3 hours 35 mins to board and skim it \o/
    Last edited by nelly; 04-06-2007 at 5:59 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

1,358Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RichardJLloyd: Thanks Martin. One of the best things of the last 5 years was campaigning for consumers alongside you. See you soon. htt?

• The new personal savings allowance - here's how it works... https://t.co/mW8Lc6cXZ2

• Just heard @RichardJLloyd is stepping down as Exec Director of Which? He's been a brilliant ambassador for them, shame for the organisation

• Follow Martin