PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Maintenance charges

Options
A friend wanted to buy a fairly new home on an a newish estate. He just found out their is a maintenance charge every year. It covers gardening and all sorts.

How long do you have to pay this for? Surely you have a choice?

Comments

• ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have no choice, and you pay it all the time you are there. Houses tend to pay lower service charges than flats. You also have no say in the charge unless you go down the "Right to Manage" route, which I don't know enough to be able to speak about with any great knowledge.

But I do know all about the scam that is "service charge". If you feel that the charge is unfair, I believe you can take the matter to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (for example paying a gardener £50k a year to mow the lawn every month is probably not realistic) but beyond that, there's little you can do other than accept it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do have a choice.
    You can not buy this house and go and buy one with a freehold.
    Usually it's flats that are leasehold because they have communal areas.

Personally I'd advise your friend to look elsewhere.
    Charges for getting other people to do things (like gardening, painting) are bound to be higher than doing it yourself because of all the costs of doing it professionally - like costs, taxes, profits.
    There is an option for groups of people to do things themselves but it does depend on everyone agreeing and co-operating and you can't guarantee that. Some will sit back and let others do the work.

If it a flat there may be little choice, but if it's a house then walk away, there is plenty of choice.
  • sirmosh
    sirmosh Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    Many new builds have these kind of charges attached and if the roads are unadopted it can be much worse since the cost of street lightning and so on will be covered by the residents rather than the council.

I know of a few small developments (no more than 5 or 6 houses) locally where residents have taken over maintenance themselves but on a larger estate it would probably be very difficult to arrange that.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have 50 houses and manage the services ourselves. Our fees dropped from £120 per year to £50, and the services are better as we manage them on site so any issues are dealt with promptly

elmer
  • SolidShot
    SolidShot Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Whats the difference with service charges and maintenance charges? If you buy the house house free hold then there should not be any charges should there? I understand flats, but a house that is freehold but on one of these new private estates should be yours and your right to decide about your property?
  • SolidShot
    SolidShot Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I did not know these charges are forever. I can see in the future properties with service/maintenance charges will be hard to sell.

I certainly would prefer the freehold house next door with no ongoing charges, even if it was more expensive to begin with. In the long run you would be paying more in ongoing charges and I would imagine the houses without ongoing charges would be valued higher as more people cotton on to this scam.
  • sirmosh
    sirmosh Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    SolidShot wrote: »
    I did not know these charges are forever. I can see in the future properties with service/maintenance charges will be hard to sell.

Many new build estates have these charges and since the percentage of the market accounted for by newer houses will only grow in years to come these charges will become more common than they are today. Especially since councils seem more and more unwilling to adopt new developments.

Edit: It's not just new houses either, some older properties have covenants stating they must contribute to upkeep of a private road and so on.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We live on a new build estate and pay £250 a year for the service charge.

As in a flat so have a much larger maintenance charge to pay every year as well.

Don't mind paying the £250 because it gets the litter picked up, the grass areas mowed, the trees/bushes pruned and the flat windows cleaned. I see gardeners on site at least once a fortnight, they do a really good job.

You either pay up or live somewhere else really.
  • puregeordie
    puregeordie Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2013 at 5:20PM
    Options
    I have just signed up to buy a new build and it states an ascending service charge and everybody pays it in the new development for upkeep of surrounding land scapes and general upkeep of area. My and every house on the development is freehold.

Cheers.

Just found an extract here that helps;
    A service charge is usually payable on leasehold properties, but in some cases they are also payable on freehold properties where there are shared services or communal areas.
    The most common service charge situations related to a freehold are when there are private roads, drains serving the properties or when the development has communal areas. In return for the payment, you will be granted rights to use common areas, services and rights of access.
    Your transfer deed will contain such rights granted for your property and reserved to the other properties in common. This is subject to a provision for payment of the service charge normally calculated on a percentage of use between the properties.
    You will be obliged to enter into an agreement with the developer and other property owners to continue to pay service charge. In most cases, a management company will be set up to collect the service charge and organise the upkeep and maintenance of the services. You may be granted a share in the management company and, as residents, have a say in the running of the building.
    If the accrued service charge does not cover the amount required for any expenditure, a developer could demand higher premiums from you and the other owners to cover these costs if required.

cheers again.
  • Flashmanchop
    Flashmanchop Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    It is likely to be soemthing called greenspace, which the council will insist that the developer provide, but they dont want to manage so they get a seperate company, greenspace xyz ltd to manage, and maintain.

personally i would like having all the grass on a development cut, litter picked up etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure