PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Homemade Exfoliaters

Options
hannah899
hannah899 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 2 July 2013 at 11:27AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello.

I don't know if this is the right place to post so forgive me if It isn't.

I have suffered from blemishes for about 12 years and have tried products ranging from cheap £1 brands to expensive brands like clinque, claros and dermalogica and it never tends to improve much so I have decided no more.

I want to start making my own basic exfoliants rather that having to pay £4 - £5 on ones that don't do what I want. My big question to you all is, The only way I can see it been economically viable is if I can make a big enough jar and store it.
I know ones with products yogurt, creams and egg yolk wont last but would sugar scrubs with honey, lemon juice, orange juice last?
I like the sound of doing it butdont think I could bear to be making one with fresh ingredients every 2 - 3 days. But if I could buy a jar of honey and a bag of sugar a lemon I think that it would be a great way to go.

This is just a very basic recipe but I assume I could get more creative with abit more research.
Thanks for any advice :D

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth:rotfl:

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT

Comments

• Drachenfach
    Drachenfach Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Olive oil and sugar makes a nice scrub, and will last a long time. You could add some lavender flowers to it for a nice smell.
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For acne/spots use a disolvable Aspirin tablet. Add a small amount of water - enough to dissolve it and then use it as a face scrub.

Another one that is good for spots is Epsoms Salts (most people with acne are deficient in Magnesium). Add a small amount of water and rub your face OR you can add a tiny amount of Olive Oil instead of the water. Olive Oil won't clog your pores. Then use a hot flannel and wipe it all off. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed and follow with your usual face wash if you need to.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I've managed to get rid of my acne completely by using a wash with 2% salicyclic acid, followed by benzoyl peroxide (nasty stuff - at first all my skin was red, flaking off and so dry I looked 80 but now it goes on fine and doesn't sting at all) and then a moisturiser with AHA, an acid which helps reduce scarring. So many chemicals, I know - though I am a Chemistry student ;) - but it's absolutely worked for me!

I was inspired by "The Regimen" on acne.org, though it took a couple of months to see any results.
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    This is something that http://pinterest.com/darleneerney/exfoliate/ was made for.
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2013 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Mine was terrible until I stopped using ALL cleansers/soaps/creams etc... just plain old boring tap water and nothing else... all spots and blemishes were gone within a few weeks!

My sister used to smother herself in a thick layer of sudocrem.. which sorted hers out.

I do think a lot of the time too much is added to the skin causing it to react in an unsightly manner.

Ooh I do use those exfoliating gloves now which are wonderful.. it is like peeling 2 layers off your face lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 June 2013 at 6:59AM
    Options
    OP...you will get loads of 'do this to get rid of acne' advice but honestly, it depends on the type of acne you have and the cause of it.

Mine was half bacterial/half hormonal and not a face wash or cream in the world was going to get rid of it. I had to take the heavy stuff along with a contraceptive pill and within 3 weeks I looked like a different person.

I'm glad u are enquiring about exfoliators as it's sometimes said that acne shouldn't be scrubbed but I disagree. We have too much build up of dead skin and grease which needs to be gently scrubbed away.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • hannah899
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. They have been very helpful. I do remember reading in a book that there is only 2 ingredients that get rid of spots 1 been salicyclic acid and I cant remember the other but its like salicyclic.
    I had clear skin until the first day of high school and then it was a downfall from them. In recent years its calmed down a lot but when I look close up in the mirror I can see I have clogged pores I get big red lumps that donsnt turn into a spot, and my skin goes all red. Mine is to do with hormones as it gets really bad at that time of the month and although it goes down after it doesn't go away.
    I don't wear make up and just use a simple moisturizer.
    Obviously with things like clearisil, Neutrogena, simple brands and so on have all these chemicals in although I do know that Neutrogena does have salicyclic acid in. Maybe if I look into what herbs have what properties to make them smell nice and any other moisturizing or cleansing affects.
    Thank your all again for your input

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • belowtheline2013
    Options
    If it's hormonal or diet related then no fancy creams etc. will get rid of it. I've suffered badly from acne for as long as I can remember. I get the big red nasty under the skin types that you can never pop as well as disgusting puss-y types ones too. I use a benzoyl peroxide cream or Zypert wash (both on prescription) to calm down the nasty ones and help them dry up and clear away but doesn't prevent them.

There's loads of stuff online about natural cures. I've managed to cut mine down to minimal (2-3 spots pop up at time of month but clear skin for the rest of the time) by cutting down wheat and milk. I think they would clear up completely if I cut milk/wheat out altogether but I just can't bear the thought!
  • jane_smith
    jane_smith Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Flumina wrote: »
    The Body Shop used to do a face scrub called Japanese Washing Grains, which was basically just ground-up adzuki beans, which you mixed with water to make a paste. It didn't have any other harsh or fancy ingredients in it. They don't do it any more but I think it might be easy enough to re-create at home if you have a blender and some adzuki beans.

They seem to have replaced it now with Japan Adzuki Bean & Rice Wash Grains (sorry, I'm unable to post a link), which has a lot of extra stuff added to it. It doesn't look as good as the old one, I don't think.

That stuff was great and you can definately make it at home, I use this when I need an exfoliator - a coffee grinder does the trick to grind up the raw adzuki beans and they last in an old glass jar for months so I you just have to grind them up when you first buy them.

I'd recommend jojoba oil as well. I was a walking oil slick for years until I read on one of the boards here about moisturising with jojoba oil if you have oily skin, something about the PH balance being the same level as what your skin should be .... I had tried everything else and wasn't hopeful as I'd always been told to buy non-oil based moisturiser. Turns out that was a load of old B*&^*%cks - the jojoba totally did the trick, haven't used anything else in a few years now. Just wash with plain soap or the adzuki bean mix and then dry off and moisturise with a couple of drops of jojoba oil. A happy bonus that it only costs about £10 a year for skincare.
  • hannah899
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Superdrug used to do a lovely vitamin e one that had loads of big oats in. and im sure it was under £2. I used to love it but they don't do it no more. I might have to find some of these chemicals.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport