Normal to feel microchip?

Options
senileturtle
senileturtle Posts: 2,453 Forumite
edited 25 June 2013 at 12:26PM in Pets & pet care
We have a 5 yr old (estimate) full bengal that we rehomed from a rescue centre. We got him microchipped, ashamedly, at Pets At Home as one of the staff had been trained to do microchipping and we had a voucher via the VIP Club for a £5 microchipping.

However, unlike the other cats, I can feel his microchip quite prominently. I looked up on the internet and it seems to be mixed answers as some say they do feel it, and some say they don't. The cat is quite short furred so maybe that is the difference between the feeling of his as opposed to the other cats?

I'm just worried the lady did not do it correctly and it's too near the edge of the skin than should be? It doesn't seem to irritate him nor has any lesions, irritations etc occurred. So, thoughts?

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    I would phone up your vets and ask their advice to be sure. My cat is microchipped, and I've never seen it or indeed felt anything, but then again he is really furry!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feel the microchips on all my 4 boys, will check the girls tomorrow and see.

Kind of size of a grain of rice. Teddy's one is actually on his side/shoulder really so could have moved since it was put in.

Had them all scanned at their booster time, all chips work fine so all good.
  • senileturtle
    senileturtle Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Options
    I feel the microchips on all my 4 boys, will check the girls tomorrow and see.

Kind of size of a grain of rice. Teddy's one is actually on his side/shoulder really so could have moved since it was put in.

Had them all scanned at their booster time, all chips work fine so all good.

Yeah, he was scanned too after the insertion and it scanned fine.

I just find it a little odd when stroking him.

I might have a go at finding the other's to compare.
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, it's fine. You can feel my cat's chip, and it works fine. :)
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Options
    Same as gettingready, I can feel my boys microchip and it's also slipped down to over his shoulder so it seems normal enough to me :)
  • dcoxparkend
    Options
    The microchips are injected just under the skin, not into muscle therefore if the skin is thin, as it would be in your cat's case, then it would be able to be felt. if an animal was overweight then it would probably be difficult to feel the chip.
  • magsmag
    magsmag Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't a problem. You had him microchipped....and you can feel it....good.....at least you know where it is.....no problems here.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you ashamed of having him chipped at PAH?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pippinpuss
    pippinpuss Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the chip is injected under the skin it is perfectly normal to feel it. It is the size of a piece of long grain rice. I'd be worried if I couldn't feel it.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can feel it on 3 of my 6. Especially my black cat Lucy-fur as she is a sleek little thing
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure