Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > help with moving costs on ESA (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
help with moving costs on ESA
Views: 2,580
# 1
bon89
Old 15-06-2013, 12:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default help with moving costs on ESA

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm moving from Gosport (Hampshire UK) to County Durham (UK) to be closer to family but I'm having trouble getting my stuff (and animals) to my new house.

I am on income related ESA and have applied for a budgeting loan (and been turned down), and a crisis loan (been turned down aswell), asked for a loan at the bank (been told don't have enough income), cant get an overdraft (as I have a basic account), cant get a credit card (as I currently don't work and my credit rating is poor), cant get a loan anywhere (as I don't work and credit rating is poor), I've asked family members (but none of them have any spare cash they can help me with as were not a very well off family).

I've been told that there is no community care grant anymore does anyone have any idea if there is any help out there for people with disabilities who are trying to move back to their families? or anything else anyone can suggest?

I just seem to keep coming up against brick walls with everything I try and my mental health is getting worse because of it I have cried non-stop all day today because I feel I've tried everything and I'm just getting nowhere.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Horseunderwater
Old 15-06-2013, 2:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

1st and foremost - Are you physically OK to help move your stuff? If so and there is not too much in the way of furniture - you might want to consider hiring a man with a Van as that would be a fairly cheap option, family may be able to chip in a little each for the time being and then you pay them back in due course. Do you have any neighbours where you live who could help you pack the contents up? It might be worth getting rid of stuff on gumtree for a small amount of money and then perhaps getting other stuff once you are up north. There are always options. Freecycle and freegle web sites are good sources of stuff and it is often in very good order, so it may be worth not taking stuff other than say your bed and one chair and the contents and your clothing etc. It all depends on how attached you are to your furniture.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horseunderwater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Happi
Old 15-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon89 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm moving from Gosport (Hampshire UK) to County Durham (UK) to be closer to family but I'm having trouble getting my stuff (and animals) to my new house.

I am on income related ESA and have applied for a budgeting loan (and been turned down), and a crisis loan (been turned down aswell), asked for a loan at the bank (been told don't have enough income), cant get an overdraft (as I have a basic account), cant get a credit card (as I currently don't work and my credit rating is poor), cant get a loan anywhere (as I don't work and credit rating is poor), I've asked family members (but none of them have any spare cash they can help me with as were not a very well off family).

I've been told that there is no community care grant anymore does anyone have any idea if there is any help out there for people with disabilities who are trying to move back to their families? or anything else anyone can suggest?

I just seem to keep coming up against brick walls with everything I try and my mental health is getting worse because of it I have cried non-stop all day today because I feel I've tried everything and I'm just getting nowhere.

Contact your local authority who are now replacing community care grants, called local authority assistance grants or something like that.

And good luck with your move
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
help4help2013
Old 15-06-2013, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i know what your going through my sister was in a very similar position few weeks ago she got no help from dwp or her local council at all she got refused everywhere she turned so i the end we all had to club together to pay for the move
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to help4help2013 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Happi
Old 15-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't get fobbed off by councils , the government has given them pots of money for this, get social services involved or local mp if you have to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bon89
Old 15-06-2013, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thank you all so much with your replies I will try my local council Monday morning. I have nobody here that will help as I've tried everyone. my stuff is all packed up already I've been packing It up slowly bit by bit day by day just a bit upset that people who said they would help have turned their back on me. I understand not everyone has the time to help but I thought families were supposed to help more than other people lol. I hope the council or someone can help otherwise I could lose the house ive waited so long for and I don't really want that Wish me luck guys lol xx
# 7
cazzap06
Old 16-06-2013, 5:44 AM

Wishing you pots of luck with your move! xx

It is SO difficult now , seems the 'help' promised is NO HELP AT ALL - Can you APPEAL the decision for the budgeting loan?

Did they say WHY it was turned down???

I applied for help from the CCG before April as am planning a move too but was turned down , applied for help from the council , turned down , now have just applied for a budgeting loan so we will see...

Are there any charities which can help as it seems now the council and benefits service are not really helping those in need at all many people are now turning to charities as the only option

Please try and find out if there is any help out there as things are getting RIDICULOUS now with people just ''left to it'' even though they cannot manage on their own and genuinely need help!!!

Your social services should have a list of charities who may be able to help and it would be worth contacting social services anyway and explaining your situation

Not everyone has families who can help out & then I do not know where people are expected to turn but my guess is both charities and churches etc will be stepping in to breach the gap , but that said I wonder who can afford to GIVE to charities in the current climate AND the need for help is so much greater now I doubt they can help everyone but it is indeed certainly worth a try as there and some WONDERFUL charities out there and the bonus is they are more CARING than the government ''help'' which is now getting beyond a joke!!!

Just keep fighting for and seeking help and I am sure you will get it , it is getting harder but not impossible...

I for one have just started giving a SMALL amount to a few charities as I know things are hard for many and I want to give a little bit to help others out at least , we gotta all stick together in times like this and support and advise each other , which is great xxx
Bye! ... My new signature is Adios MSE - Have better things to do with my time & life than to let people hassle me on here , they are just not worth it!
The Following User Says Thank You to cazzap06 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
nannytone
Old 16-06-2013, 2:38 PM

tvw muvwd within the past few weeks and to be honest, i didnt even bother to apply for any grants. the added stress would have been detrimental.
i borrowed money from my parents ( i have moved 3 doors away, but thye refitting of carpets was an evormous cost)
at the moment i owe money and dont like it. but at some point it will be a memory and i can go forward
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nannytone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
bon89
Old 16-06-2013, 3:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i was turned down for the budgeting loan because I owe them money from crisis loans that I had to have to live on because they messed about with my money and that was well over 3 years ago and they still haven't taken it out of my benefits over that time period.

I don't know if there are any charities but I will certainly look and find out for you but yeah it is ridiculous being left to it when you cant physically do it yourself or cant afford it because u cant work. they don't think about people like us
# 10
benefitbaby
Old 16-06-2013, 7:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You should also try your local CAB, many know of local charities and can assist with submitting applications. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to benefitbaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Dunroamin
Old 16-06-2013, 7:39 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happi View Post
Don't get fobbed off by councils , the government has given them pots of money for this, get social services involved or local mp if you have to.
Pots of money for what - so people in social housing can move to be near family?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Bogof_Babe
Old 16-06-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunroamin View Post
Pots of money for what - so people in social housing can move to be near family?
Family who don't seem to want to put themselves out even slightly to assist with the move either. Big risk I'd say .
I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogof_Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
sunnyone
Old 18-06-2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof_Babe View Post
Family who don't seem to want to put themselves out even slightly to assist with the move either. Big risk I'd say .
Its amazing how many people are moving to Co. Durham since the changes to council tax benefit since they are covering the shortfall for this year so there is no council tax to pay here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
mcjordi
Old 18-06-2013, 3:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
Its amazing how many people are moving to Co. Durham since the changes to council tax benefit since they are covering the shortfall for this year so there is no council tax to pay here
till next year then its payable..
Sealed pot challenger # 257
currently saving for Chicago Trip 2015/2016 need circa 1500
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcjordi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Happi
Old 18-06-2013, 3:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Not true! Unless i imagined that council tax bill dropping through my letter box in april

And to even think someone would do one of the most stressful things you can do in life, which is move home, it's up there with divorce and death fgs, just to save a few quid a week....

God forbid any of you benefit bashers should ever fall ill and need to move nearer to a support network.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sunnyone
Old 18-06-2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjordi View Post
till next year then its payable..
They are going to try and keep it in place according to the councillors but they cant promise to do it, the rest of us are paying for the shortfall and thats wrong.

Quote:
Not true! Unless i imagined that council tax bill dropping through my letter box in april

And to even think someone would do one of the most stressful things you can do in life, which is move home, it's up there with divorce and death fgs, just to save a few quid a week....

God forbid any of you benefit bashers should ever fall ill and need to move nearer to a support network.
If you got full council tax benefit pre April and you have no change in curcumstances you will still not pay council tax in Co.Durham.

I am severely disabled with a disabled husband and we pay full council tax apart from a band reduction because Im a fulltime wheelchair user so we have been through more than most people
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Happi
Old 18-06-2013, 3:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
They are going to try and keep it in place according to the councillors but they cant promise to do it, the rest of us are paying for the shortfall and thats wrong.

If you got full council tax benefit pre April and you have no change in curcumstances you will still not pay council tax in Co.Durham.

I am severely disabled with a disabled husband and we pay full council tax apart from a band reduction because Im a fulltime wheelchair user so we have been through more than most people
Just because you live in Co Durham doesn't mean you are under durham county council policies.

Someone moving to Co Durham will not be exempt from council tax, i know this because i live there.

Oh and i have just paid my June instalment, a little late but never mind.
# 18
sunnyone
Old 18-06-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Just because you live in Co Durham doesn't mean you are under durham county council policies.

Someone moving to Co Durham will not be exempt from council tax, i know this because i live there.

Oh and i have just paid my June instalment, a little late but never mind.
I pay my council tax on the first of every month, so do many other people but anyone on full council tax benefit as it was pre April this year under the unitary Durham County Council dont pay a penny council tax and so the rest of us have to carry the can.
# 19
McKneff
Old 18-06-2013, 4:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Why do you want to live near family who won't lift a finger to help you with the move though?
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
harrys dad
Old 18-06-2013, 6:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I pay my council tax on the first of every month, so do many other people but anyone on full council tax benefit as it was pre April this year under the unitary Durham County Council dont pay a penny council tax and so the rest of us have to carry the can.
You are blaming the wrong people. There was a perfectly good national system for CouncilTax Benefit until the Government chose to devolve it to Local Authorities, oh but devolved 500 million a year short, Local Authorities are now between a rock and a hard place, either they charge those who cannot afford it 20% +(not including pensioners because they all vote) or they charge everyone else a bit more, which they are not allowed to do, or they cut services even further. Any way is unfair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrys dad For This Useful Post: Show me >>