morbidly obese and need to lose weight

Options
djtonyb
djtonyb Posts: 629 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 May 2013 at 10:16AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
I need some help and advice.

I am morbidly obese and need to lose weight.

I have over the last 3 years lost 5 stone and have stalled.

I cycle 3 miles a day and do Karate for 1 hr a week. I also walk/cycle during lunchtime (but this is work load dependent and I don't always get out)

I'm struggling to not feel constantly hungry and I am obsessing about my next meal.

I have been diagnosed with Oral Allergy Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome) which means most fruits/nuts I cannot eat. I also have eczema which through a process of elimination I have found is exacerbated by dairy.

I've given up caffeine (have 1 cup of green tea a day) and drink 8-10 glasses of water/v weak squash a day.

Please help me feel full and reconnect with my weight loss mojo
Fat and proud lol

Comments

• Dogger69
    Dogger69 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    What is your current diet/ meal plan?

What pace are you walking at?

Have you tried varying your exercise routine, introducing a class or going to the gym/ swimming?

Well done on the loss to date - slow and steady is the way to make sure you keep it off long term.
  • djtonyb
    djtonyb Posts: 629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I walk at a 3.5m/hr pace and can cycle 8 miles in 40 mins. I prefer cycling to walking lol.

Meals are not great I do like my crisps(but have gone from a multi pack a day to 1 or 2 pkts a week). My DH struggles to help me with food as he doesn't like cooking different meals for the 3 of us and he is the main cook as he is a SAHH

Time/money is of the issue with further classes as I work full time and an also a Brownie Leader and District Commissioner so lots of my evenings a are taken
    Fat and proud lol
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you've been doing great, but you're unlikely to keep making progress from exercise alone, particularly now that your body has adapted to your current workouts; you've got to eat right too.

Can you post what you've eaten and drank over the last couple of days? Perhaps there are some easy tweaks that could be made. Does your OH make your lunches too, or do you have some more flexibility there?
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with the last post. Unless you are expending huge amounts of calories(i.e. along the like of trekking to the pole 12 hours a day) you really need to restrict your food intake. To lose a pound of fat per week you would need to lose 3500 calories which is equivalent to approximately cutting out a bar of chocolate and a pack of crisps every day or running 7 miles daily. Although doing both is preferable, maintaining that level of exercise would be extremely hard for me.
    Like you I constantly feel hungry but have resigned myself to the fact that having a full stomach is something I have to avoid and I tolerate the hunger pangs. Some people can satisfy themselves on small amounts of food but I am not that fortunate. The only thing I can suggest is that if you are truly hungry all the time then eat a carrot or tomato or something similar. They may not taste great but treat them like medicine - a necessary evil if you like.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    Like you I constantly feel hungry but have resigned myself to the fact that having a full stomach is something I have to avoid and I tolerate the hunger pangs. Some people can satisfy themselves on small amounts of food but I am not that fortunate. The only thing I can suggest is that if you are truly hungry all the time then eat a carrot or tomato or something similar. They may not taste great but treat them like medicine - a necessary evil if you like.

If you do this then you're setting yourself up to fail and is how binges happen. You should never have to feel hunger like that if you eat a sensible healthy diet. The way to do this is to eat more protein and fat as these are what increase your satiety and keep you feeling fuller for longer, hence avoiding the need to snack.

Many people shy away from eating fat as they assume this is what puts on their weight. But it's not. Sugar is your enemy, much of which is hidden in low-fat products and fruit.

Eating a carrot or tomato is going to do nothing to quell hunger so eat a hard boiled egg, slice of ham or chunk of cheese instead. Or better still, ensure you meals contain a good portion of protein and vegetables and cut back on the carbohydrates and starchy foods. These are digested more quickly leaving you feeling hungry sooner.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    djtonyb wrote: »
    I'm struggling to not feel constantly hungry and I am obsessing about my next meal.

Would the 5/2 diet suit you? Knowing that you've only got to get through one day on reduced food makes it easier to stick to.

There's a group on here who are doing it - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    How much of this desire to feel full is actually to feel emotionally sated?

Hunger in itself isn't that unpleasant a sensation until you get to famine levels of starvation.

But if you're missing the biochemical effects of carbs on the brain to quash any sadness or anxiety, and the activity of choosing, shopping and cooking food to fill in time and occupy yourself, then all the food in the world will never be enough to last more than a couple of hours.

That big, empty feeling, just under the bottom of the breastbone, filling your core isn't hunger. It's a craving for an emotional need to be met. The little whining grumble way back inside, nearer your spine is when your body wants some protein.

The second will go away after about ten minutes if you ignore it. The first, however, follows you around all day and night.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • thor
    Options
    If you do this then you're setting yourself up to fail and is how binges happen. You should never have to feel hunger like that if you eat a sensible healthy diet. The way to do this is to eat more protein and fat as these are what increase your satiety and keep you feeling fuller for longer, hence avoiding the need to snack.

Many people shy away from eating fat as they assume this is what puts on their weight. But it's not. Sugar is your enemy, much of which is hidden in low-fat products and fruit.

Eating a carrot or tomato is going to do nothing to quell hunger so eat a hard boiled egg, slice of ham or chunk of cheese instead. Or better still, ensure you meals contain a good portion of protein and vegetables and cut back on the carbohydrates and starchy foods. These are digested more quickly leaving you feeling hungry sooner.
    I have tried all the alternatives you have suggested before and have found no difference between carbs, proteins and fatty foods. They all sate my appetite similarly.
    For 99.9% of mankind's existence humans have learned to live with a half empty stomach and that is how I'll be operating until I decide to give up the ghost and start overeating(and I can put away a lot whether it is in the form of meat, fruit & veg, carbs) but the cost of no hunger pangs means I'll become fat so maybe not.
  • Padstow
    Padstow Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2013 at 4:14PM
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    I have tried all the alternatives you have suggested before and have found no difference between carbs, proteins and fatty foods. They all sate my appetite similarly.
    For 99.9% of mankind's existence humans have learned to live with a half empty stomach and that is how I'll be operating until I decide to give up the ghost and start overeating(and I can put away a lot whether it is in the form of meat, fruit & veg, carbs) but the cost of no hunger pangs means I'll become fat so maybe not.
    Yes but protein keeps us feeling sated for longer, plus eating carbs gets us into a cycle of wanting more. I can't eat one slice of toast and jam, nor one choccy biccy.
    Remember how before that was understood, how westerners used to remark about eating Chinese food?
    "Fills you up, but in two hours you're ready for another one." That's due to the rice, veg and cornflour with little protein.

Two boiled eggs for breakfast, will keep you going till lunchtime. Toast or cereal won't. In fact you'll be craving sugar meantime.

I lost three stone on low carbs with little effort. Put back a stone since moving house due to sadness and comfort eating from the Indian and Chinese take aways.

I'm doing well on losing it again. Had pack of smoked trout, as in smoked salmon style, but much nicer, plus a big spoon of full fat Philly with lemon juice and black pepper. No cal counting no portion control. However, what counts most for me and I'm not unique, is I must lift weights.

When I was a stone heavier than present, I was a dress size lower, all because weights had pulled me in in all the right places. I also find that lifting weights, believe it's to do with the core, relieves my spine/arthritis problem. I am very flexible, can outbend even young ones in a Yoga class, stand for any time though and I'm in agony. Confuses people when I bend from the waist and place my palms on the floor to relieve it. "Bad back?" (Getting up from the floor from a lying position is another matter, picture a Giraffe!):D

To the obese then I say, go find a good Gym and lift free weights. Heavy weights and low reps to build muscle, not tone.
    I use a weights machine at home, but free weights under the guidance of a good instructor is best. The more muscle you carry, the faster you burn calories the less it will matter how much you consume, and I bet the Gym expert will put you on a low carb regimen. Not a diet, as "diet" equals hungry.

If you land at a Gym where they point you to machines, exit fast, as they want your money with no effort on their part.
    Take before pics and thereafter monthly pics and be proud of your progress.

As for cycling, running whatever, good for the heart in moderation apparently, but losing weight and reshaping?

For anyone who can afford one and has the space, the Concept2 rower is brilliant. I sold mine due to the house move and not everyone likes rowing. I'd put on a good music track on and row for 45 minutes. Aerobic and muscular exercise, reshapes the bod in no time.

Sorry for going on about weights. I'm 66 and I think all in their trimester should have more muscle. Don't get me started on Vit D3! :D

ETA. The music would be Kaisers not Perry Como.
  • thor
    Options
    Padstow wrote: »
    Yes but protein keeps us feeling sated for longer, plus eating carbs gets us into a cycle of wanting more. I can't eat one slice of toast and jam, nor one choccy biccy.

Two boiled eggs for breakfast, will keep you going till lunchtime. Toast or cereal won't. In fact you'll be craving sugar meantime.
    Yes, yes I have read this a countless number of times from many different sources but this simply does not apply to me. Whether I have 2 eggs or toast or cereal I feel just as hungry afterwards and for just as long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure