Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?
Views: 282,631
# 1
WOW Factor 0
lemmylemmy
Old 24-05-2007, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

My partner's passport has expired and we need to fly from London to Dublin next week. I'm told you can travel with a photo ID like a driving licence, instead of a passport, but I need to double check. Anybody know for sure about this?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lemmylemmy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
vikingaero
Old 24-05-2007, 2:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We went on a day trip from Holyhead to Dublin as we were staying in Snowdonia. My missus and I were born in the UK and our driving licences shows our place of birth as in the UK. My mums driving licence shows her place of birth as Hong Kong and the Immigration Officer said that technically he could refuse her entry unless she had her British Passport on her too, as she may not be a British Subject. But he was pleasant about it and allowed us to proceed once he checked we had a return ferry ticket.
# 3
turtle2k1
Old 24-05-2007, 2:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm not sure if it depends on the airline you are flying with. We are going with Ryanair and they accept a valid photo driving licence (including provisional) as valid id
# 4
campbeji
Old 24-05-2007, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No you do not need a passport. You do not need any form of ID to go to Ireland, either North or South from England. You do however need ID to get onto a plane whether it is flying to Ireland or Scotland or even within England or anywhere else in the world, some nonsense about stopping terrorists.

I have travel this route quite a few times and also taken the ferry on the various routes, never had any problems with immigration or anything, on the ferry I just drive off the ferry, out the gate and away. I have no idea how vikingaero got caught up with immigration at Dublin, maybe it was part of a sting operation

Bye for now
# 5
campbeji
Old 24-05-2007, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

opps, I should have said that the website for the airline will have a page on the sort of ID's that are acceptable. Most Govenment backed photo ID's will do the trick.

Jim
# 6
Steve_xx
Old 24-05-2007, 3:43 PM

Your entry to Eire will be easier if you have some form of identification. Most airlines will insist that you have either a passport or driving licence showing your photograph before you board. Despite the rather flippant remarks made by an earlier poster, there is a real threat of terrorism in the western world and it is therefore not unreasonable to expect that entrants to a country will be suitably screened.

Visa, Passport and Embassies

UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, but most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph (usually either a passport or driving licence with photo). Visitors are advised to check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company, tour operator or travel agent before travelling.

Non UK nationals must have a valid passport or national identity card as appropriate.

Citizens living within the EU and most other Western countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa do not require visas.

All other countries should contact their local Irish Embassy/Consulate prior to travelling to the Republic of Ireland, and visitors to Northern Ireland should contact their local British Embassy/High Commission or Consular Office.

Last edited by Steve_xx; 24-05-2007 at 3:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_xx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
moonrakerz
Old 24-05-2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbeji View Post
You do however need ID to get onto a plane whether it is flying to Ireland or Scotland or even within England or anywhere else in the world, some nonsense about stopping terrorists.
Yet another stupid rule dreamt up by someone who was told he had to do "something" to prevent terrorists getting onto a 'plane.

We all know that any would-be terrorist is an illegal immigrant with no means of identifying himself !!!

But hang on a minute - weren't the 911 hijackers in the US on perfectly legal docs ? weren't the London tube bombers UK citizens with UK passports ?

They will have to think of "something" else !
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
vikingaero
Old 24-05-2007, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbeji View Post
I have travel this route quite a few times and also taken the ferry on the various routes, never had any problems with immigration or anything, on the ferry I just drive off the ferry, out the gate and away. I have no idea how vikingaero got caught up with immigration at Dublin, maybe it was part of a sting operation

Bye for now
Must be my Osama-bin-Laden-esque good looks.

We were on a day trip in the car from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire on the Stena HSS. When we drove off the HSS there's the immigration/customs booths/barriers in front of you. The Immigration Officer was standing in front of them and selectively targeting the odd car. I knew that we'd be stopped because we're oriental and were the only non-whites on the whole trip. (Note: that last statement does not infer any complaint at being stopped because of our race, as the Immigration Officer was very polite, and if I were him I would have stopped us too!)
# 9
lellie
Old 24-05-2007, 9:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

However usually if you're flying you will need a passport - otherwise a driving license is fine.
# 10
poppy_f1
Old 24-05-2007, 10:55 PM

i flew to and from dublin with ryanair using my driving licence (had my passport tho as a back up) and never had a problem
# 11
Fred_Carno
Old 20-07-2007, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,
We are looking at a possible trip to Eire for holiday by ferry.
We all have photo id, apart from my 2 yr old daughter -will this be a problem on entry ?
No time to get a passport for her at this late stage.
Would appreciate any advice please,

thanks
# 12
dzug
Old 20-07-2007, 12:17 PM

It will not be a problem on entry.

If it is a problem (very unlikely) it will be boarding the ferry.

Ask the ferry company what their policy is. Certainly most airlines don't require an ID from a child accompanying an adult
# 13
Lolo79
Old 07-04-2009, 5:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

Hi there, my partner also needs to travel to Ireland and his passport has run out so I have just rang BMI to ask them as that is who he is flying with and they say that any government ID will do i.e drivers licence or bus pass etc. Also I travelled about 9 months ago to Ireland with Aer Lingus with only a train pass (with photo obviously) .

I hope this has helped you.

Lois
# 14
omelette451
Old 07-04-2009, 6:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you fly into Dublin airport you will go through immigration but if you show both proof that you're British/Irish and proof that you've just arrived from the UK (i.e your boarding pass) you will be allowed through with no problems. If you're not British or Irish you will need a full passport. If you're flying with Ryanair and checking in online you must have a passport; if you check in at the airport a driving licence is ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to omelette451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
omelette451
Old 07-04-2009, 6:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo79 View Post
Hi there, my partner also needs to travel to Ireland and his passport has run out so I have just rang BMI to ask them as that is who he is flying with and they say that any government ID will do i.e drivers licence or bus pass etc.
His expired passport will be ok too.
The Following User Says Thank You to omelette451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Steve_xx
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette451 View Post
His expired passport will be ok too.
An expired passport may be ok for immigration but the problem might come with getting Ryanair to accept it. Assuming that the person might be travelling with Ryanair.
# 17
apt
Old 08-04-2009, 7:35 AM

Ryanair does not accept expired passports. It will accept driving licences with photos, but only until 30 September.

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued either by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.FROM THE 1ST OCTOBER 2009 ONWARDS DRIVING LICENCES WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTABLE PHOTO-ID ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS.

Can't help thinking that O'Leary has missed a trick here. Perhaps he should accept driving licences, but only on payment of an additional fee!
The Following User Says Thank You to apt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
omelette451
Old 08-04-2009, 9:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt View Post
Ryanair does not accept expired passports. It will accept driving licences with photos, but only until 30 September.
...and ONLY if checking in at the airport (see above posts).

Quote:
For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID.
...and only if presented in conjunction with proof (e.g. boarding pass) that the flight originated in the UK.
# 19
Loretta
Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My OH has just renewed his passport, last week, and it only took 5 days, maybe worth a go. I think that you an go to the passport office and if you are straightforward and just want to renew you can do it in a day. He did pay extra. about £7, for the post office to check it first and well worth it as it is easy to get it wrong ie your signature touching the lines, must use black ink etc they are very fussy
Loretta
# 20
omelette451
Old 09-04-2009, 7:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
He did pay extra. about £7, for the post office to check it first and well worth it as it is easy to get it wrong ie your signature touching the lines, must use black ink etc they are very fussy
If you can read, this service is completely unnecessary. The instructions are actually very clear, and if you're generally a wits-about-you person it's best to follow the MSE route and not pay the extra fee. IMO, of course
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omelette451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>