The six year "rule" at Equifax

Options
Did you know that after six years from settlement/default your old account information is not automatically deleted by Equifax, and if you write to them asking them to sort it out, you'll get fobbed off with "not our problem"?

No, I didn't either!

I was somewhat confused into thinking their statement on the website saying it will be removed after six years meant it would be removed after six years. How stupid am I?

And there was me thinking that a simple "AND record.lastdate < today-6years" in the code they use would work when running queries... apparently not!
The default date on this account is 01/05/2007. This is over six years ago. This is illegal. You state on your website the account is removed:

Six years from the date the account was settled, written off or defaulted – whichever happened first

You have not done this. Please give a full and detailed explanation as to why this illegal data is on my credit file, including the name of the person responsible for this breach of your licence.

And reply from Equifax:
Thank you for getting in touch.

Please accept our apologies however it is the clients responsibility to remove this information at the end of the 6 years. We only store the information supplied by the clients.

You’ll find more information about your credit report at: https://www.equifax.co.uk/help. If you have a question, you should find the answer in our FAQ section. If not, you can send us an online query, and attach your documents to it – no need to worry about them getting lost or delayed in the post.

I hope you find this useful. If there’s anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Kind regards

Equifax Customer Services

Comments

• rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    Equifax customer services talking complete balls as usual.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shocking incompetence but doesn't suprise me.
  • JustinCredibleGillespie
    Options
    Are there no representatives from Equifax that can come on and answer this and explain the reasons why?

JCG

xx
    :smileyheaMarried on 20/07/2012! :smileyhea
    :DBought my new car 11/08/12:D
    :cool: Save £12k In 2013 Num 009! £5502/£5000 :cool:
    Save £12k in 2014 Num 22! £2131/£3000
    Emergency Fund £0
  • annmaria2
    annmaria2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    are you serious???????
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.equifax.com/international/uk/documents/Equifax_Personal_Data_Management_Policy.pdf
    4.2 Equifax also removes personal data from our databases after defined periods of time. For example, data about a credit agreement will be removed six years after the agreement ends or is considered in default.

Equifax removes. Not dependant on the creditor. Experian and Call credit also remove expired data themselves. They do no ask the creditors permission or wait for them to update.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Equifax are always late updating their records. Can sometimes take up to a month.
  • MAYA58
    MAYA58 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Same story hapened to me with equifax,wrong date of default notice for a debit more than 6years since 2006, both experian and noddle removed, but still in Equifax ??
  • jessie4109
    jessie4109 Posts: 201 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2013 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Have you disputed this information with Equifax?
    Next step after would be to get the ombudsman involved.

My problem seems to be that my original lender is now reporting my account as 6 months in arrears even though the default date was 18th April 2007! (I thought it was just Equifax) I'm just awaiting my Experian report to see if it shows on there as checked Noodle yesterday and that's now showing this information too (it had dropped off as i'd checked). I've complained to the lender so after 19th July if not resolved i'm ringing the ombudsman!
    Been there, done that and Ebay'd the t shirt. :beer:
  • MAYA58
    MAYA58 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    yes, disputed it with equifax guess the answer? contact the lender which is Lloyds TSB who redate the default to 2010 from 2006, the account closed 2005 !!!. in the process of SAR them and to complain next.
  • jessie4109
    jessie4109 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder how they expect people to ever get on with their lives. There's enough stress to deal with day to day without having all this to sort out on top. Would it be worthwhile ringing the FOS and see if they can put a complaint in on your behalf as well as your own? lol
    Been there, done that and Ebay'd the t shirt. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport