Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Creating an internet presence for a charity project

Options
porto_bello
porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
edited 4 June 2013 at 3:54PM in Charities
I'm a member of a small team raising money for a national charity, via an auction of something quite rare, with an estimated value of about £10,000.

An auctioneer has kindly agreed to auction it for free, with all income going directly to the charity.

I'm looking at promoting the item on-line. Obviously I'm trying to reach out to corporations and/or individuals with a few quid. I'm also trying to make it easy for the media to run an article on the auction, by making the details accessible on-line. What kind of internet presence would be advisable?

A facebook page?
A blog site?
A bespoke website?
Any other ideas?

Thank you for any suggestions... :)

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask the charity concerned if they have any preferences / restrictions? I'd have thought you'd want a link from their site to yours, so needs to happen at some point!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • silkcutblue
    silkcutblue Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, ask the charity concerned as "dead" social media channels can damage their reputation. (nothing like a Facebook page with 3 members and no posts)
  • dawn27
    dawn27 Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why not start a blog about you and your teams fundraising efforts as an ongoing project. Use twitter and facebook to direct people to your blog.
    how about getting the local paper to run a story on your efforts as most local papers have an online version now.
    just a few ideas :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Options
    dawn27 wrote: »
    why not start a blog about you and your teams fundraising efforts as an ongoing project. Use twitter and facebook to direct people to your blog.
    how about getting the local paper to run a story on your efforts as most local papers have an online version now.
    just a few ideas :)
    All good, but as I said before, please approach the charity for advice!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    once you've spoken to the charity and got their permission i would suggest all of the above.

facebook and twitter have been invaluable to our charity over the last few years. we also make use of flickr, youtube, google+, foursquare, pininterest, linkedin and others.

our blogs aren't very strong as we tend to use facebook.

we also have used dedicated websites for events and dedicated booking services to make it all run smoothly.

we also make use of justgiving, just giving text, virgin money and others. if you google our charity or key terms involved in it we come up very high on google.

we also use dedicated twitter accounts and facebook pages for different parts of the charity to promote their bits.

but saying all that i am a senior member of the team and run the lot along side one other senior member.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family