PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone live in Coventry? Nice areas?

Options
Living in Leamington, but now looking to buy. I have £20,0000, oh is MF with flat worth around £165000 and £30,000 savings. So looking at something in the £200,000 range, maybe more as we may not buy for another year or so, so that's another £5G in the Isa's each per year we delay. We need a min of 3 beds as we have my 12yr old plus need a spare for the other (5) kids if they ever pop over for a visit. Also DH works from home so we need an office/study area.

To add to this, trains station needs to be in bus/walk range so I can go into Leamington for work every day. Leamington's waaaay to pricey, hence looking at Coventry but don't know the nicer areas to live.
Not too much to want: 3 beds, study, 2 loos min, garden and ideally a garage or drive. Loads on right move, but so confused as some areas look horrific but close to centre and others are lovely, but too far out. I'm used to walking 1.5 miles to work already so a couple to the station is do-able, but Cov seems to have lots of good bus routes as well.

Any ideas??
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Living in Leamington, but now looking to buy. I have £20,0000, oh is MF with flat worth around £165000 and £30,000 savings. So looking at something in the £200,000 range, maybe more as we may not buy for another year or so, so that's another £5G in the Isa's each per year we delay. We need a min of 3 beds as we have my 12yr old plus need a spare for the other (5) kids if they ever pop over for a visit. Also DH works from home so we need an office/study area.

To add to this, trains station needs to be in bus/walk range so I can go into Leamington for work every day. Leamington's waaaay to pricey, hence looking at Coventry but don't know the nicer areas to live.
    Not too much to want: 3 beds, study, 2 loos min, garden and ideally a garage or drive. Loads on right move, but so confused as some areas look horrific but close to centre and others are lovely, but too far out. I'm used to walking 1.5 miles to work already so a couple to the station is do-able, but Cov seems to have lots of good bus routes as well.

Any ideas??
    http://www.police.uk/

May help to check out the area. :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 May 2013 at 7:59PM
    Options
    CV5, especially Earlsdon sounds perfect for you, but may struggle to find a property within your price range that has a garage or drive in Earlsdon.

However, it is within walking distance of the train station and is ideally situated for travelling to Leamington Spa as the local bus that passes through Earlsdon goes as far as Leamington.

How about the following?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37322965.html
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • jmt
    jmt Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    Earlsdon is closer to train station and some very nice houses especially around King Henry School. Styvechale and Finham are the best areas in Coventry and on the Leamington side. Used to own in Cheylesmore 20 years ago but not sure I would want to live there now.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like the look of styvechalle. Some nice places there as well n
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DOn't forget that HS2 will divide this area in two. Coventry will be one side, Leamington the other?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    DOn't forget that HS2 will divide this area in two. Coventry will be one side, Leamington the other?

There will be bridges and/or tunnels.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    CV5, especially Earlsdon sounds perfect for you, but may struggle to find a property within your price range that has a garage or drive in Earlsdon.

However, it is within walking distance of the train station and is ideally situated for travelling to Leamington Spa as the local bus that passes through Earlsdon goes as far as Leamington.

How about the following?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37322965.html

Just to say - don't know whether this would affect your decision, but Earlsdon is a very student-y area with Warwick Uni up the road, and the bus to Leamington is packed with students.

ETA: Looked at the link - I see it's a student let lol.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • demontfort
    demontfort Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As someone who spent over 30 years in Cov I can tell you that it's a different world to Leamington. Nicer parts are in the south west though there are still respectable suburbs in the eastern and northern parts of the city. Areas I'd recommend:

Usual suspects

Earsldon (still overpriced), East Canley, Finham, Stivichall (note the spelling) and Allesley

Cheaper but still very cheerful

Stoke Green, Coundon, Cheylesmore, Parts of Wyken and Walsgrave, Upper Radford, Binley Woods, Parts of Whitley, Whitmore Park, Eastern Green, Holbrooks and Chapelfields

Best Avoided

Willenhall, Wood End, Pinley/Stoke Aldermoor, Tile Hill/ West Canley, Foleshill, Spon End, Stoke, Anywhere else ending in Green
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add Hillfields to the best avoided list.

Anywhere worth living within easy walking distance of the station won't be particularly cheap.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure you can't afford Leamington? How about this one? No downstairs loo at the moment, but you could fit one in if you steal a bit of kitchen, which you'd have the budget to do. (And it needs a serious magnolia make-over)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38514715.html?premiumA=true#
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport