Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Timing Chain Recall? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Timing Chain Recall?
Views: 30,230
# 1
dexters_mum
Old 14-05-2007, 8:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Timing Chain Recall?

I drive an 04 plate Vauxhall Corsa Club 1.0 Twinport. It has 49k on the clock and is still under finance with GE Motor Finance.

It is now 2 days out of it's warranty and I noticed a rather loud clicking noise from the engine bay, it was serviced and MOT'd on Friday (not at Vauxhall) and it has been into Vauxhall on Thursday for new tyres and there was no mention of either garage noticing any noise.

I took it into my local garage who said it is almost certainly the timing chain, apparently a common and known fault on Corsas up to 05 reg and then they were replaced by a belt and apparently they were recalled last year for checks.

I bought mine from Vauxhall main dealer in October 2004 and have always had it serviced at Vauxhall at 20k and 40k and this service, a year after my 40k service was at a local garage.

I was never informed of a recall and if there has been one, would I still be able to take mine to a Vauxhall garage.

Also, do I have any rights as the car is still under finance?

My garage has said they can repair it for 300 but he has said if I want to take it to Vauxhall they may charge me up to 1000!!

Does anyone know of the Corsa recall that was supposedly done in May 2006, I can find some unofficial information but nothing official.

Any help please!
DM x
2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- 86
1 Jar (Christmas)- 29
Christmas Vouchers Saved: 145
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
pmcx9
Old 14-05-2007, 8:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Mr

i had a 53 plate 1.0 corsa and had the timing belt done under recall but have since sold the car.

surely a vauxhall garage will chase it up for you with GM as it is business for them?
The Following User Says Thank You to pmcx9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dexters_mum
Old 14-05-2007, 8:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would hope so, I do intend to call Vauxhall in the morning but looking around on forums, the 04 plate seems to have either had little publicity about it's recall or it hasn't been recalled but I can find recalls for the 53 plate, 54 plate and the 05 plate regarding the timing chain?

Thanks for your reply, it certainly helps me in trying to piece together the recall pattern.
2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- 86
1 Jar (Christmas)- 29
Christmas Vouchers Saved: 145
# 4
gladysrocker
Old 14-05-2007, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had an 04 plate corsa up until a few weeks ago and we did get a letter about a recall, but I seem to remember it was for a wiring harness fault, not the timing chain.
The Following User Says Thank You to gladysrocker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sharoo
Old 15-05-2007, 7:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have an '53 Corsa and have had a recall for both the wiring harness and the timing chain.
# 6
Tired120
Old 17-03-2009, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Corsa 1.2 03 Plate Timing Chain

I've got a 03 plate corsa sxi and the timing chain needs doing. Does anyone know if 03 plates were recalled too as i bought it 2nd hand and havent heard anything? If not, any ideas how much its going to set me back?

Cheers
# 7
harveybobbles
Old 17-03-2009, 9:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ask any vauxhall garage, they will soon look it up on the 'puter and tell you. Some sneaky ones will even ask you to pay for diagnosis - but why should you pay for diagnosis when its a sodding recall...

also it was mainly the 1.0 chains that were failing along with the oil pumps...
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 8
Mervyntheartist
Old 17-04-2010, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Mervyntheartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters_mum View Post
I drive an 04 plate Vauxhall Corsa Club 1.0 Twinport. It has 49k on the clock and is still under finance with GE Motor Finance.

It is now 2 days out of it's warranty and I noticed a rather loud clicking noise from the engine bay, it was serviced and MOT'd on Friday (not at Vauxhall) and it has been into Vauxhall on Thursday for new tyres and there was no mention of either garage noticing any noise.

I took it into my local garage who said it is almost certainly the timing chain, apparently a common and known fault on Corsas up to 05 reg and then they were replaced by a belt and apparently they were recalled last year for checks.

I bought mine from Vauxhall main dealer in October 2004 and have always had it serviced at Vauxhall at 20k and 40k and this service, a year after my 40k service was at a local garage.

I was never informed of a recall and if there has been one, would I still be able to take mine to a Vauxhall garage.

Also, do I have any rights as the car is still under finance?

My garage has said they can repair it for 300 but he has said if I want to take it to Vauxhall they may charge me up to 1000!!

Does anyone know of the Corsa recall that was supposedly done in May 2006, I can find some unofficial information but nothing official.

Any help please!
DM x
Hi, I have a corsa 1.0 o4 and have the same problem with the timing chain knocking noise. Its very annoying and I am at the moment almost stranded from any significant journeys in case I do more harm to the engine. I have emailed Vauxhall and awaiting a reply to see what is the outcome of my question about not having a recall on the car. I guess there are thousands that don't know and therefore foot the bill themselves. I owned the previous model and had a recall on that, I think it was something to do with a seat belt or something...Heres hoping. Cheers. M
# 9
xnikkix
Old 17-04-2010, 8:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Interesting thread. I think I'll call Vauxhall on Monday to see if my 53 1.0 was ever done as it has a knocking sound especially when the engine has run for awhile. Also can't get my engine management light to stay off for longer than three weeks. Cleaning the 02 sensors so far hasn't helped.
# 10
Boozer
Old 17-04-2010, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a VX220, i got new rear alloys on a 6 year old car as it was a safety recall, and as i am selling it now i put it in for inspection and they said it had a recall outstanding, but i phoned the recall people(0118 9458500) and they confirmed that all recalls had been done, give them a phone and they can tell you if any recalls are outstanding.

EDIT: i really must start to read thread dates
# 11
rebelpeter
Old 19-09-2010, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default T reg Corsa 12 V

I have a Corsa not long bought it and wonder should I get onto Vauxhall to see if it has been recalled or needs to be will a Vauxhall agent know if it has been done . . .
# 12
benham3160
Old 19-09-2010, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Only recall I can find on these is "WATER INGRESS INTO ABS WIRING MAY CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT AND A FIRE" (not my caps!) which was issued on the Corsa C in 2004.

Regards,
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to benham3160 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
harveybobbles
Old 19-09-2010, 4:46 PM

T reg wont need doing.
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 14
rebelpeter
Old 22-09-2010, 7:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default My T reg

Thanks for the reply and telling me my T reg does not need doing very good to hear it as when I bought it this year a machanic mate said they are not good buys as the timing chains wear and cost 300 to have it done, he does note rate the Corsa would anyone care to give their views on if it is a good or bad car, as only had mine couple of months be good to her from longer term owners just what they think of the Corsa 12V, What sort of MPG should I expect . . .Thanks . . Reb . . .
# 15
vikingaero
Old 22-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpeter View Post
Thanks for the reply and telling me my T reg does not need doing very good to hear it as when I bought it this year a machanic mate said they are not good buys as the timing chains wear and cost 300 to have it done, he does note rate the Corsa would anyone care to give their views on if it is a good or bad car, as only had mine couple of months be good to her from longer term owners just what they think of the Corsa 12V, What sort of MPG should I expect . . .Thanks . . Reb . . .
The timing chains last a lot longer than the belts. A new cambelt and pulley would cost you 300 every 40,000 miles.

At the end of the day your Corsa is a banger. It's a reasonable car to get from A to B. MPG depends on the state of the engine and how you drive. I reckons you should get low 40's minimum.

The only main problem with Corsas of this age is the mild steel fuel tank which will rust and leak.
The man without a signature.
# 16
rebelpeter
Old 22-09-2010, 11:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for your tips and good to know the chains last longer than belts, it is is good condition and it is on 70,000 so should be ok by the sounds of it, I do little mileage so should last longer that way . . .
# 17
benham3160
Old 22-09-2010, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's swings and roundabouts really, honestly, I prefer belts. You know they will should be changed at x miles, failure rates these days seem rather similar, infact I'd wager there are more chain failures now than belt failures.

Chains on OHV engines, back when they were 6" long and practically ran in the sump were sealed for life and never failed, however modern, long, duplex chains seem to fail with alarming regularity, that's if they don't get clattery and stretch beforehand. That said, at least chains give you a warning of iminent failure (sometimes.)

Chains are also at the mercy of the engine oil, whereas belts are not.

As an example, Ford specify 100,000/ten years for the mk4/5 Fiesta belts, and these reguarly go beyond these with no reports of failures. Some of the DV engines are 150,000/ten years for the belt!

Regards,
Andy
# 18
rebelpeter
Old 23-09-2010, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Mmm yes I see what you mean with belts you just have it changed at x miles, but are chains more expensive to have the job done as apposed to belts, is chains a harder and costlier job to replace. Sounds like engine oil needs reguar checking as well as changing too. . .
# 19
mcjordi
Old 23-09-2010, 1:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpeter View Post
my T reg one rattled like the proverbial skeleton in a dustbin.. got it changed with a new designed one from vauxhall ( cost about 35 for the parts and my local mechanic changed it for about 100 iirc) made no difference piece of crap cora
Sealed pot challenger # 257
currently saving for Chicago Trip 2015/2016 need circa 1500
# 20
andygb
Old 24-09-2010, 8:28 AM

This is a link to the Corsa forum. This is a known problem.

http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showt...-Recall-Thread