Facebook Lets shout 'No to L&S'!!!

Options

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lilias wrote: »
    I don't comp on Facebook but I wondered if anyone had tried telling the IPM that a company was using L&S rather than an App and wasn't responding to comments about this - to see how the IPM responded.

I doubt if many of the smaller companies running comps on FB are members of the IPM and even if they were they can just ignore them if they want, same more or less goes for the ASA

I posted this in another thread, the comp involved in part a FB like.

I see the problem with the link for some reason they don't allow m.a.f.i.a as a word on the forum and it takes it out of the link as well.

A complaint was made about the fairness of a competition, the meaty bits are quoted below
    Response

!!!!!bikes said they would not respond to the complaint.

Assessment

Upheld
    The ASA was concerned by !!!!!bikes' decision not to respond to the complaint and apparent disregard for the Code, which was a breach of CAP Code clause 1.7 (Unreasonable delay). We reminded them of their obligation to respond to our enquiries and told them to do so in future......

We asked !!!!!bikes to comment on those points, to explain the planning and execution of the competition in full, including the judging process, and to clarify whether the prize had now been awarded. However, !!!!!bikes did not respond to our enquiries in a way that either answered our concerns or showed that the competition had been conducted fairly. Because of that, we concluded that the competition breached the Code

Action

The competition must not appear again in its current form. We told !!!!!bikes to ensure that their competitions were conducted fairly and to seek guidance from CAP's Copy Advice team before running similar promotions in future

You can browse rulings here

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx

They cover advertising in general and competitions are only a part of it, you can search for keywords (if you put in as one word the name they don't allow and bikes you will find the full ruling on this one), searches with words like prize, competition, win etc can bring up some interesting reading (in many cases it is don't do it again)

They also have a list of Non-compliant online advertisers who basically just ignore them!
    We expect all advertising online to be legal, decent, honest and truthful. Here we list traders who continue to make claims on their online sites that do not comply with the UK Advertising Code despite repeated requests for changes from our Compliance teams.
    Details of each non-conforming trader will remain in place until they have appropriately amended their marketing in line with the Advertising Code

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Non-compliant-online-advertisers.aspx
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,940 Forumite
    Options
    claire21 wrote: »

Thats a bad one as
    Note there are no limitations on how many times you wish to share this competition with your Facebook Friends

Reported it to FB as spam as I couldn't find a way to report the post as a rule breaker for L&S.
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had lovely response from one company who said she didn't think it applied to her because it was a giveaway not a competition
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    Options
    I had lovely response from one company who said she didn't think it applied to her because it was a giveaway not a competition

Ehhhh???????????:rotfl:
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • BlueBella
    Options
    I is lovely to see some companies/blogs changing the way they run their comps.....

Mummy Of 3 Diaries
    ‎**Saturday Giveaway** WIN Freddo and Buttons Twin Eggs! Due to Facebook clamping down on Like/Share competitions I have decided that this week all you have to do to enter is leave a comment saying "Yes Please" I don't want anyone to put their pages at risk. A winner will be drawn at random from all entries at 8pm Tomorrow night x

Thank you!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/EssentialTravel?ref=stream
    Loads of this page all like share and horrible TAG that messed everyone up on suspension

Can someone do something please
  • purplebutterfly
    Options
    Sorry Claire but I *think* that comp is legit as you actually enter on their blog so it's not just a L/S comp. I may be wrong
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • BlueBella
    Options
    Hate tagging comps - after spending 3 hours untagging myself from photo comps I have NEVER won going back 3+ years, I do not want to be tagged EVER again!
  • EverDecreasingCircles
    Options
    Yay, one for the good guys (that's us by the way lol). Just seen this:

http://www.facebook.com/Qwertyflowers/posts/517884978254641

Keep it up folks ;)

EDC x
    Biggest win: £10,000 from Pepsi
    Favourite win: Handmade jewellery worth £1000
    ITV Winners Club Member #1
    Check out the ITV Winners Club in IWIWIW
    I shall write in ever decreasing circles until I have nothing left to say
This discussion has been closed.