Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GeekyGirl
    Central heating: oil vs bottled LPG
    • 12th Mar 13, 2:40 PM
    Central heating: oil vs bottled LPG 12th Mar 13 at 2:40 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

Hi all, at my wit's end here.

I bought a property back in October 2011. It had been empty for about a year as the previous owner had been in care. The central heating is oil - however, the tank leaked so was taken away. I'm left with an oil boiler that I'm not sure works and two options;
    1 - Get a new tank and run the risk of needing a new oil boiler if the current one doesn't work, or
    2 - Switch to LPG.

Now, I've checked out several forums and the majority of them compare oil heating to LPG tanks - I won't be getting a tank though, instead planning to run off gas bottles.

I've received quotes from a LPG certified tech (January) and an oil tech (yesterday). The situation is this;
    - I pay just under 800 for a new single skin tank and base
    - Told by oil tech that current boiler will probably run at about 75% efficiency compared to 92% of a new one
    - This ties me to sticking to oil and the possibility of needing a new boiler (been quoted 2000) so could in total cost me just under 3k + oil payments
    - Bottled LPG was quoted at 1750 to include everything; boiler, pipes, thermostats, etc but not empty/new bottles as I already have access to these.

I'm shying away from oil because of;
    - large chunks of payments for the minimum amount of oil you have to buy (500 litres from Goff)
    - theft

My neighbour switched his house from oil to bottled LPG. The couple he rented out to went through 6 large bottles in 11 months (at 50 p/bottle = say 300 for the year)

Awaiting a quote for the 500 litres from Goff - a couple of family friends has said this minimum amount usually lasts them for the year.

I work 9 to 5 Mon-Fri and live alone so don't really need heating on all day or on high excessively.

I just wondered what other people have plumped for when facing the same decision - or if there's any techs out there that do oil AND LPG and can therefore provide an unbiased opinion.

Thanks
    Last edited by MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:00 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

1,151Users online

Martin's Twitter