NOW TV - They renege on offers - beware

Options
NOW TV is a Sky outfit, it's a limited version of Sky movies available via download onto a variety of platforms, XBox, YouView etc.

I let my subscription lapse a while back. I felt that although it streamed perfectly, that it was a bit expensive for what we got. The normal subscription is £15 per month.

So I was chuffed that NOW TV sent me an email yesterday saying ... come back ... special offer. Their special offer was a £10 shopping voucher, a subscription of £8.99 for three months then a £10 per month subscription thereafter.

So I thought I'll go for that. And I've just had a live chat with one of their staff to get it reactivated.

But they've told me they've sent the email out in error, that the deal is actually £8.99 per month for 6 months then back to £15 per month after that. And that doesn't suit me unfortunately. I think £15 per month is expensive, maybe I'm just tightfisted !

So. Anyway. Just be careful if you're thinking about re-subscribing to NOW TV on a recent email offer.

Their email may well be incorrect, like ours was.

Comments

• James_Lahey
    James_Lahey Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up with them a while ago to get the £10.10 cashback for free trial (TCB.) I cancelled the service before the first payment with no problems and cash back is tracked and pending - so a free tenner providing they pay the CB.

I also received the same mail yesterday and can confirm it says " By turning on Auto Renew before the 31 March 2013, subscription will renew at £8.99 a month for your next 3 months, then £10 a month after that. You can stop renewal at any time."

I'm in for a free £10 voucher for £8.99 as it's able to be used at good retailers that I already shop at (ASDA, Boots, John Lewis and Sainsbobs.)

£15 per month is way too much for the service in my opinion, they have newer movies than lovefilm/netflix but way less content. I'm pretty sure that in my next "free" month we'll be able to watch all the films that we're interested in (the Yogi Bear movie is on the other monitor right now :)) If they put some TV shows on there in the vein of lf/nf then it might be viable at a continuous £8.99/£10 per month.

I'm going to stick with lovefilm after this months free membership and hope the voucher comes through - a free £1.01 providing i get my giftcard! If you do go for this offer and only want the "free" month then make sure to cancel the auto-renewal on the manage my account section.
  • GrungeMeister
    Options
    Cheers James.

I've just had 3 livechats with Now TV reps via their website and it's only been on the third chat that the team member has known about the emails & this particular deal. And he's talked me through how to set it up.

I should really amend the thread title to read "Now TV Marketing Division doesn't tell the frontline staff everything they need to know !"

£10 voucher, £8.99 for 3 months then a tenner a month. That'll do me.

I don't mind a tenner a month, any more than that is a total no-no !

James - appreciated :-)
  • steven_cardwell
    Options
    I also signed up yesterday on the back of what the email said, so far i've had 3 different answers, Now Live Chat didn't have a clue what i was asking about, i got a reply via the contact us on the website that again was different, then another answer from a Now employee on the forums, here is a link to the thread on the Now Tv Forum

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-offers-promotions/Return-To-Now-TV-Offer/td-p/76898
  • shinkyshonky
    shinkyshonky Posts: 2,782 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up with them a while ago to get the £10.10 cashback for free trial (TCB.) I cancelled the service before the first payment with no problems and cash back is tracked and pending - so a free tenner providing they pay the CB.

I also received the same mail yesterday and can confirm it says " By turning on Auto Renew before the 31 March 2013, subscription will renew at £8.99 a month for your next 3 months, then £10 a month after that. You can stop renewal at any time."

I'm in for a free £10 voucher for £8.99 as it's able to be used at good retailers that I already shop at (ASDA, Boots, John Lewis and Sainsbobs.)

£15 per month is way too much for the service in my opinion, they have newer movies than lovefilm/netflix but way less content. I'm pretty sure that in my next "free" month we'll be able to watch all the films that we're interested in (the Yogi Bear movie is on the other monitor right now :)) If they put some TV shows on there in the vein of lf/nf then it might be viable at a continuous £8.99/£10 per month.

I'm going to stick with lovefilm after this months free membership and hope the voucher comes through - a free £1.01 providing i get my giftcard! If you do go for this offer and only want the "free" month then make sure to cancel the auto-renewal on the manage my account section.

I doubt you will get the cashback...I did this and they cancelled the cashback....seems it happens to alot of people...you only get the CB if you carry on the subscription, I had watched most of the films half way through...
    I also keep getting the come back and renew and we will give you £10 voucher ...but reading the OP ...thats a no go
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • GrungeMeister
    Options
    Sorry for slight delay in returning to the thread.

Steven I was a bit concerned about your post and your link so I contacted Now TV by live chat a few minutes ago. You're right. They're now denying that the £10 pcm month deal ever existed.

The adviser was a cheeky b*****d, he/she said they couldn't understand why I had a problem and that £8.99 for six months is surely better than £10 per month (not after month 6 it isn't).

I'm simply waiting for my £10 shopping voucher then closing the account/terminating auto renew.
  • James_Lahey
    Options
    Just got this one -
    We'd like to draw your attention to an error in the Terms and Conditions of the £10 voucher offer email you received from us recently.

It stated that the price of NOW TV was £8.99 per month for 3 months and then £10 thereafter. It should have said; if you come back to NOW TV by 13 March, it's £8.99 per month for your next 3 months and then £15 per month thereafter.

As you've taken up this offer, and come back to NOW TV we'd like to apologise by way of increasing your voucher to £15. You do not need to do anything and you'll receive an email by the end of the week with details on how to claim. £15 voucher subject to the same fulfilment terms as the £10 voucher offer you originally agreed to. And remember you can stop renewal at any time.

Doesn't make me want to subscribe but a nice offer if you're planning on ditching after a month anyway!
  • James_Lahey
    Options
    I doubt you will get the cashback...I did this and they cancelled the cashback....seems it happens to alot of people...you only get the CB if you carry on the subscription, I had watched most of the films half way through...
    I also keep getting the come back and renew and we will give you £10 voucher ...but reading the OP ...thats a no go

I did actually get paid the cashback of £10.10 a while ago, after checking yesterday. I did wonder if it'd work and imagine sky are not as generous as lovefilm/netflix.
  • steven_cardwell
    steven_cardwell Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2013 at 12:14AM
    Options
    If anyone has read the thread on the Now Forum that I linked to above, my user name is cardy1970 on it, you will have seen how this "con" has been dealt with (or maybe it should be hasn't been dealt with).

Decided just to cut losses, and switched auto renewal off, so Now won't be getting any more money from me, if I get the shopping voucher, it will be a bonus, but after they way they have dealt with what they called a mistake, i'm now not all that interested.

It is just the fact that no matter how many times it was mentioned, no one at NOW, seems to get the fact that there was users that reactivated the service due to the fact it was going to be £10 a month after the promotion £8.99 price.

I did ask for my account to be switched off and a refund, but that was at 1.50 this afternoon, and its now 11pm and not one reply from Now on their forums, but like i said, they just don't get that, personally if the email had said £8.99 followed by £15, then i wouldn't have resigned, and they wouldn't have had that £8.99 they took off my card at the weekend.

Even after getting different answers when Now was asked about the offer, again you can see it in detail on the Now forum link i posted earlier in thread, i got the sorry email, with now £15 shopping voucher, £8.99 for 3 months then £15, at the same time i was getting a PM on Now forum with a different offer of £10 voucher, £8.99 till 1st July, then as it doesn't say i assume £15 a month, so even after all the aggro, they still are giving out conflicting information!

So, it's bye bye NOW TV, and hello again to Netflix and Unblock-Us, at least they know what their monthly charge is!
  • battleborn
    battleborn Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the info on Now TV, I will certainly NOT be using them.
  • the_geezer_2
    Options

Yes this has also happened to me....and I generally find you do get bored by what they are showing/offering
    Netflix I will try
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport