Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Feb 13, 9:40 AM
    • 3,329Posts
    • 14,076Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    0 WOW
    What to eat on a flight?
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:40 AM
    0 WOW
    What to eat on a flight? 22nd Feb 13 at 9:40 AM
    I will be flying to Jordan with my class in a couple of weeks, flying Easyjet so have no wish to pay for the awful food which they will probably be supplying.

I am on a diet, but realise that it will have to be adjusted for this trip, so was wondering what I could take with me to eat on the flight. Unfortunately, we have our last class before Easter the night before and will need to be in Gatwick for about 7am the next morning, so I will potentially having to go without eating "properly" for over 24 hours. Eating before the flight is not something that appeals to me as it will be far too early and unless I get absolutely desperate for a caffeine hit on the flight, it will be water only.

I have some containers which I am quite happy to bin afterwards but have no idea what to fill them with!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
Page 1
  • nuttyp
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:52 AM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:52 AM
    Before we flew we popped into boots and got the meal deal with the shapers sandwich etc in. I got it after i had been through security. It is also cheaper than buying on the plane. When we were in the airport, we saw a group of teenagers all been told by their tutor to buy before they went as it was far cheaper. They also got chocolate etc too......
    BSC member 137

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 22nd Feb 13, 9:58 AM
    • 4,298 Posts
    • 43,540 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    • 22nd Feb 13, 9:58 AM
    Another meal deal vote. That's what I always do, and you can take the drinks on board because you've bought them after security. Don't limit yourself to one - buy enough to keep you fed all the way trough the filgt. Boots also does fruit with their meal deals, so you can get a really good mix of sweet, savory, snacks and drinks. Don't forget your Advantage card to rack up the points.
    Keeping it AF
    • Lilyplonk
    • By Lilyplonk 22nd Feb 13, 9:58 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 8,175 Thanks
    Lilyplonk
    What time is your flight departing - it's often a couple of hours AFTER you need to 'check in'?

Are there any restrictions on what you're allowed to take on a flight to Jordan with you?

I think I'd be inclined to at least carry some of those 'breakfast replacement cereal biscuits' in your handbag - something like Belvia would be 'nutritious' IF you like them. We take those with us on long, early morning coach trips as OH won't eat anything at all before setting out.

Would you perhaps feel like eating something like a 'home-made version' of a 'fruit corner' before departure time?

What about a mixed salad in a container with some chopped chicken in a bag inside it - you'd probably need one of those foldable chill bags to put it in - but that could then be collapsed down to go in your hand luggage.

How about a container of couscous?

Good luck - I travelled to the States and back last summer during a very strict diet regime - finished up at McD's in the Airport having a Grilled Chicken Salad without the dressing . Then selected the lowest calorie option on the flight - but it was a scheduled flight with all catering/drinks provided in the price.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Feb 13, 10:17 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 22nd Feb 13, 10:17 AM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 10:17 AM
    Thanks for those suggestions, usually make my own food, so didn't even think of meal deal. Couscous is a great idea as it is quick & easily made up when I get home from class.

Lilyplonk, well done on being so strongwilled, I am currently 3stone down, but am going with the attitude that as long as I maintain for holiday, it has been a good one!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Lilyplonk
    • By Lilyplonk 22nd Feb 13, 10:42 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 8,175 Thanks
    Lilyplonk
    • 22nd Feb 13, 10:42 AM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 10:42 AM
    Well done, Gettingtherequickly - 3st down is fabulous going and certainly not something that you want to spoil at this stage of things ...............

My weightloss has now slowed down - but I've still got about another 3st to go. Believe me, mine was a 'serious problem' that has been a long-haul ..................... but I'm doing it through our local NHS Dietitian Service and Council-run Gym. They refuse to term it 'a diet' - they use the term 'life-style change', which is exactly what it is .
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Feb 13, 12:52 PM
    • 16,012 Posts
    • 95,566 Thanks
    maman
    • 22nd Feb 13, 12:52 PM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 12:52 PM
    What time is your flight departing - it's often a couple of hours AFTER you need to 'check in'?
    Originally posted by Lilyplonk
    I've been to Gatwick for early flights and often there's very little open. I don't know how you can check but I wouldn't rely on a meal deal without being sure Boots is open/will have them.

I always buy water in Boots (using points if poss) as anything on the plane is a huge rip-off.

I'd take pasta salad, fruit and crisps!

P.S. when you say a class, are you with a group of children or is it all adults? Children will need food advice too.
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 22nd Feb 13, 1:28 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    • 22nd Feb 13, 1:28 PM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 1:28 PM
    Make sure you eat everything you take, or discard it on the plane. If you can't do that, make sure you aren't restricted by their Customs Dept as to what fruits, veggies, home prepared foods etc you are permitted to take into the country.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Feb 13, 2:48 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 22nd Feb 13, 2:48 PM
    • 22nd Feb 13, 2:48 PM

P.S. when you say a class, are you with a group of children or is it all adults? Children will need food advice too.
    Originally posted by maman
    All adults It's hilarious, we are all working, but it is like being a student again doing things on the cheap! Oh, happy days of being a student.

• Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Feb 13, 2:50 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Make sure you eat everything you take, or discard it on the plane. If you can't do that, make sure you aren't restricted by their Customs Dept as to what fruits, veggies, home prepared foods etc you are permitted to take into the country.
    Originally posted by bargainbetty
    Forgot about that, although I travel to Egypt regularly, it is generally a later flight, so I don't need to worry about taking food, actually, not been there since I started my diet, so may have to rethink that later in the year

• HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 22nd Feb 13, 2:50 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Just a wee pointer:

Much as nuts are handy to have, you may not be allowed them, or anything containing them!

Last time I was on a flight there was an announcement over the tannoy that someone on the aircraft had an allergy and nobody was allowed to open/eat anything containing nuts.

Just keep that in mind!!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Feb 13, 3:23 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 23,777 Thanks
    suki1964
    Just a wee pointer:

Much as nuts are handy to have, you may not be allowed them, or anything containing them!

Last time I was on a flight there was an announcement over the tannoy that someone on the aircraft had an allergy and nobody was allowed to open/eat anything containing nuts.

Just keep that in mind!!
    Originally posted by HeadAboveWater
    Happened to me as well

Although I cant understand why they do this as even the products they sell on planes are not nut free - as they are often processed in the same plant as nuts are used. So if a microdot of nut from me eating a nut bar 10 rows away is going to kill, then surely the microdot of nut in a nut free product that was made up next to a product that contained nuts is also going to kill

So will the next step be that no food or drink other then airline supplied be allowed?
    • Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 22nd Feb 13, 3:27 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    When I fly I usually take my home made sandwich, but if I can't make one I love Pre-a-Manger (in both terminals now in Gatwick). Boots is also good and the meal deal quite cheap.

Also the food Easyjet serves is quite nice and not that expensive..last time I tried a small box that contained a bit of cheese, crackers, nuts, a (very very little) chocolate.. it was lovely!

The thing I make sure I buy from Boots is water.. MUCH cheaper than on the plane or any other airport shop.

Also I don't know if it's just me or it happens to more people, but I can't eat anything 1 hour or less before landing, or I get very sick.. I make sure I eat as soon as we take off (my flight is about 2.5 hours).
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Feb 13, 6:41 PM
    • 16,012 Posts
    • 95,566 Thanks
    maman
    When I fly I usually take my home made sandwich, but if I can't make one I love Pre-a-Manger (in both terminals now in Gatwick).
    Originally posted by Alisha2008
    I'd forgotten about pret. They do a lovely salad nicoise with a little bottle of dressing you add yourself so ideal for anyone dieting. Assuming, as I said before, that they're open that early in the morning.
    • Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 25th Feb 13, 4:07 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    I'm sure you can check the opening times, but when I've been in the airport all shops opened around 5:00 in the morning..
  • welhamroad
    Plane Picnic
    Cheese and biscuits and fruit can be a good option. Also you often find that if you buy a Daily Telegraph in WH Smiths you get a free bottle of Buxton water with it....
    I'd go with cereal bars, biscuits or flapjack too as they will keep an so long as not chocolate won't melt if you eat them when you get there.
    Boots Meal Deals are often a good bet as you will get a drink, snack and sandwich/salad/sushi.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 13th Mar 13, 5:27 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi, Martinís asked me to post this in these circumstances: Iíve asked Board Guides to move threads if theyíll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 13th Mar 13, 5:59 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    callum9999
    Happened to me as well

Although I cant understand why they do this as even the products they sell on planes are not nut free - as they are often processed in the same plant as nuts are used. So if a microdot of nut from me eating a nut bar 10 rows away is going to kill, then surely the microdot of nut in a nut free product that was made up next to a product that contained nuts is also going to kill

So will the next step be that no food or drink other then airline supplied be allowed?
    Originally posted by suki1964
    How do you know the person is 10 rows away from you? How do you know the person won't walk past you/you walk past them at some point on the flight?

You're just being ridiculous - it's a simple measure to reduce the risk of a fellow human being getting seriously ill. No need to start moaning about how they should either let the cabin be full of nuts or ensure every "microdot" of nut is removed from the aircraft...
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 13th Mar 13, 6:06 PM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 9,989 Thanks
    Seakay
    of course the reason the measure needs to be taken is that the air isn't cleaned as it was when smoking was allowed. Much more likely to get illnesses off other people on the plane these days as the stale air is constantly recycled instead of being filtered. If it was filtered everyone would be a lot better off including the people with allergies. Rather than pay to keep us all healthy and headache free the airline would rather we pay more and receive less care.
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 13th Mar 13, 6:39 PM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    I'd grab something at the airport - you really don't want to take a chance at forgetting the food in your bag on landing.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin