Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Philius
    Pleeeease help
    • 2nd May 07, 12:24 PM
    Pleeeease help 2nd May 07 at 12:24 PM
    Hi,

Whilst I've only just registered, I've been lurking, reading and listening to the advice given for ages.

I've had a look around and can't find any threads where anyone is in the same sort of position as me, so I'm asking for any help you can offer.

In a nutshell......
    I took out a 10k loan about 5 years ago and made payments for about a year before stopping paying altogether (unforseen circumstances). I haven't paid anything for 4 years and over that time the debt has been passed from DCA to DCA.

Recently I've started to get my life in order and have gradually paid off all of my credit card debts - totalling over 7k (which I'd also defaulted on) and am making moves to pay off the above loan.

I received a letter from the DCA - Lowell Financial (on behalf of Lowell Portfolio 1) detailing the debt (approx 9k) and telling me I had to call them. I wrote to them on 03/03/07 (using a template I found on this site ) offering a full and final settlement of approx 3500. They wrote back on 26/03/07 offering a f&fs of 8100 (with 28 days to pay). I wrote back that day saying I couldn't afford that much and could go up to 4k.

Then, on 18/04/07 I got a letter from Hamptons Legal (a trading style of Lowell Financial) threatening legal proceedings as I had failed to contact them. On 27/04/07 I got a letter from Lowell Financial thanking me for my correspondance and asking me to call them.

Yesterday I posted another letter to Lowell Financial stating that I could only communicate via letter.

The today I received another letter from Hamptons Legal (dated 30/04/07) saying that no further written warnings would be issued and they would start legal procedings unless I call them immediately.

Clearly I have been in contact with Lowell Financial for over 5 weeks and yet because I haven't contacted Hamptons Legal (the SAME COMPANY), they're trying to take me to court!

I don't know what to do, should I write to Hamptons Legal and tell them i'm already in communication with their client or what?

All I want to do is try and clear my debt - but they're making it so difficult to do so.

Please help - any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Philius
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,820Posts Today

8,378Users online

Martin's Twitter