Why the HELL is it wrong to pay ON the Train???

Options
stamina9008
stamina9008 Posts: 319 Forumite
edited 31 December 2012 at 1:13AM in Public transport & cycling
So, my cars gone and im using the train to see folks over the New Year.
It is a long distance trip and its coming out at £66 for an open return.
Now my thing is this..
Last time i paid that price for this journey i was not stopped ONCE, not once!!!!
Now, i have to change twice, why should i not carry money in my pocket and pay when im approached? Even if i fib about where i got on?
IT'S THEIR JOB TO CHECK PEOPLE FOR TICKETS!!
Im not responsible for them not checking the carriages whilst they joke and eat scones!
I feel cheated and robbed when im not checked on a train after paying £60 in fares, so much so, that when im checked i feel relieved and quite content.
Why is ths even an issue??

CHECK ME AND I'LL BUY ONE OFF OF YOU BECAUSE YOURE DOING YOUR JOB

DONT CHECK ME AND (FROM NOW ON) I WILL POTENTIALLY GET A FREE RIDE.

PS - Dont whine to me about fines - - - - not interested.

Comments

• warwicktiger
    Options
    Troll
    or just dishonest ?
  • stamina9008
    Options
    Troll
    or just dishonest ?

No, this is a genuine question for a change.

99% percent of my questions are legitimate, so dont try and label me sir.
    Thanks
  • Cooper18
    Cooper18 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    They should check EVERY SINGLE CARCASS that steps aboard a train, end of story.
    And if they cant, then they should allow people to pay onboard it.
    Why can you not see that as reasonable?

Do you realise how long that would take? Or they'd have to employ even more staff to still run efficiently. So your suggestion either slows the whole system down, or forces prices into the stratosphere. Great thinking.
  • warwicktiger
    Options
    OK, benefit of the doubt and no labels.

You wish to travel, the rail company quote you a price, you buy a ticket, contract made. They deliver a service i.e transporting you and you pay for that service.

or

You ride the train without paying. You are stealing that transport. If everyone did it there would be no train revenue and no trains. There is no obligation for them to provide extra staff, at a cost simply to check your ticket.

Pay your dues.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,332 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sloth wrote: »
    I don't like that I pay £4k a year for a season ticket but if I don't I can't get to work to earn money. You don't HAVE to visit your family, you CHOOSE to, therefore you have to pay

I agree however that a lot of ticket inspectors are not particularly nice, however they are there to inspect, not to sell (unless no option to buy at the station prior to travelling)

Most of the ticket inspectors I have encountered have actually been extremely pleasant.

And just for the record: you pay for the journey, not for the ticket inspection. It would be nice if everyone was honest and just bought a ticket, so that there was no need to ticket collectors.
  • stamina9008
    Options
    Cooper18 wrote: »
    Do you realise how long that would take? Or they'd have to employ even more staff to still run efficiently. So your suggestion either slows the whole system down, or forces prices into the stratosphere. Great thinking.

I'd thought of that prior to my comment Einstein, however, it's their problem not mine.
    They are going to have to devise an alternative solution to checking everybody or else.
  • sloth
    sloth Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    They should check EVERY SINGLE CARCASS that steps aboard a train, end of story.
    And if they cant, then they should allow people to pay onboard it.
    Why can you not see that as reasonable?

As i said, i carry the money in my pocket.

Yes I agree that they should check every single person on board, and on my route they do, each way every day, and I know some are lazy and don't bother, but the fact remains that if everyone thinks and acts like you, then the train companies earn no money, and so won't provide a service and so we can not travel to work/visit family etc. can't you see that as reasonable?

Believe me I'm no supporter of train companies or ticket inspectors, I just get sick and tired of paying £4k a year knowing that will increase time after time, and one of those reasons is my subsidising those who are too tight to pay
  • stamina9008
    Options
    Hey listen, i understand that the machine must run but, i also have obligations and personal rules to which i adhere.
    And the rail system of payment is not comparable to mine.
    But, i'll pay.
    I just like to moan about it.
  • stamina9008
    Options
    sloth wrote: »
    Yes I agree that they should check every single person on board, and on my route they do, each way every day, and I know some are lazy and don't bother, but the fact remains that if everyone thinks and acts like you, then the train companies earn no money, and so won't provide a service and so we can not travel to work/visit family etc. can't you see that as reasonable?

Believe me I'm no supporter of train companies or ticket inspectors, I just get sick and tired of paying £4k a year knowing that will increase time after time, and one of those reasons is my subsidising those who are too tight to pay

Your route sounds like great, but it's not been my experience.
  • stamina9008
    Options
    Im gonna pay anyway, i always do.

IM JUST WANNA BE CHECKED!!!! DAMMIT!!!

CHECK ME
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts