IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DFW Running Club
Views: 4,009
# 1
mascott514
Old 06-12-2012, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default DFW Running Club

Hi All....

I would like to restart the DFW Running club.
Essentially, open to one and all, from those thinking about it, to those who are preparing for races.

Running is cheap, and good for you, and fits in well with all the other good things people do on here.

If you have been thinking about it, let us know, and strap on those dusty old trainers. With a bit of DFW encouragement it's amazing how quickly you will improve.
Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

Target 2013... Half Marathon under 2 Hrs

Run 2013 VLM in PB: -4:28.26
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mascott514 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mascott514
Old 06-12-2012, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ok,
just to get started, today ran about 6 km
Went a strange route, through a forest, and loads of hills, but enjoyed it as it was a nice easy run, after a week lay off.

Anyone else running tonight.?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mascott514 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
marathon man
Old 06-12-2012, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As per my sign-in name, I have had quite a bit of running experience and will help you guys out if you wish (although now in my 64th year and carrying a long-standing achilles heel problem right now).

I was rubbish at all sports when in school and left at age 16. I did no sports whatsoever for some 16 years but saw the 1981 London marathon which inspired me to go jogging. I went on to complete 32 full marathons (including 14 London marathons), about 150 half marathons plus many thousands of training runs and races over other distances.

The first thing I would suggest is to regularly look at the Runner's World website, exploring the many parts of it for inspiration and information. I would also recommend signing into the terrific forum there where you will find runners of all levels who will be very keen to help. The link is here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

Look for recommendations as to running shoes within the website and look out for them in the sales in January. Online retailers such as
http://www.bournesports.com/ and http://www.startfitness.co.uk/ are good places to buy, with some decent prices on previous year's models, are recommended by me. However, you may want to try and find a running shoes supplier in your area who can tell you what type of runner you are or you could check here: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009...tor-supinator/.

I wish you all the best of luck and will offer advice if/when I can. I will answer PM's if sent.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marathon man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
determined new ms
Old 06-12-2012, 6:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi I will join although won't have the op to do a run until Sat - crazy busy all the time at the moment, but am missing running a lot!
VSP- 165.34
Save 12K in 2014 2377.2.65/7000

Debt to Bank of oh Mum: 300/5000[/CENTER]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to determined new ms For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
LondonGirl252
Old 06-12-2012, 7:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm subscribing!!

I got into running quite a lot last year but this year has been tricky for a few reasons.

I do run 2.6k last night at the gym but want to get back into the outdoors running. I do struggle with shin splints so need to build it up slowly
Save 12k member #13
40% of target reached
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LondonGirl252 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 8:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Welcome Marathon Man.
Plenty of experience there.
I hope we can attract some beginners and help others to get into it!

The Following User Says Thank You to mascott514 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
marathon man
Old 07-12-2012, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Running has been a great release from work pressures for me, over the years. Good luck to all !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marathon man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Welcome Determined, and London Girl.
Let us know how it goes.

No run for me today

Planning 10k tomorrow evening

The Following User Says Thank You to mascott514 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

London Girl

Shin splints can horrible, but if you can increase your distance / time really slowly you should get past it. By running 3-4 times a week, with good stretches it should ease off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mascott514 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
poodlegal
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey can I join!

I'm quite an experienced off road runner I suppose. Didn't start till I was 30 to lose weight after having kids but since then done hill races, mountain marathons and even ultramarathons. I'm 35 now and this past 5 years has been a struggle financially but runnings pretty cheap as hobbies go and its kept me sane.
I do struggle with motivation though as my husbands away a lot, I have 3 kids and I run my own little business which is outdoorsy so i'm not always in the mood/ have time for running.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
JustAboutThere
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ummm . . . can this wimp think about it. I am technically (OK, financially) a paid-up member of a running club, although I'm more of a social member at this stage (pub quiz, friendships, etc.). The real truth is . . . I don't actually enjoy the running and I'm in that awful cycle of I don't enjoy it, so I don't go all that often, so I don't improve my fitness, so I can't keep up, so I don't enjoy it, so I don't go . . .

I'll just have to go back to couch to 5K and go from there. Fingers crossed - its not going to be pretty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustAboutThere For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Poodle!
Another very experienced runner. !

I would love to hear more about ultra marathons. It must hurt! Two London Marathons was enough for me. I have concentrated on halfs over the last couple of years, much less insane!

I hope that with a few of us on here to help each other along we should help with motivation , and no doubt your distance running experience will help those planning to go further!

# 13
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Welcome Just about!

I guess motivation is a big issue with many wannabe runners.

Are you planning a little cheeky 5k soon..... Tonight?

# 14
poodlegal
Old 07-12-2012, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks!
What I would say Justaboutthere is that I have felt that way about running too. I hate training but love racing! Why not stop with formal training plans and for a month just make a promise to yourself to get the gear on and get out the door 4 times a week. Have you tried off road running? This can be a lot more fun than plodding the roads- just find a nice trail or a nice little route and dont worry if you have to walk up the hills just try and run the flats and downs and forget milage for a while just get out and do the little runs and make them fun for yourself. Just getting out will improve the general fitness, just let yourself do as much or as little as you like as long as you get out and start running- quite often you end up completing a really good session!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have to agree with Pood, after a little enforced break I went out yesterday and ended up running in a forest that I hardly know. No interest in times just enjoying being out. Once I am back in town I will knock out a faster run, but it's not everything.

You could sign up to a race perhaps?

# 16
poodlegal
Old 07-12-2012, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mascott- ultras arent that bad really, a lot easier than people think. 5 years ago I couldnt run a mile, I have now done pbs of under 11 hrs for 53miles (trail) and I did a sub 8hrs for a very hilly trail 43miles a couple of years ago. Probably being stubborn helps, but i'm by no means a 'fast' runner or someone who is diligent at training- most of its in the head when you get up to those distances.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
poodlegal
Old 07-12-2012, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Forgot to add- been off running for a few weeks so my challenge is to start next week 4 running days a week- up to 5 in the new year. Target race is mid Feb! Did a few races in Oct so shouldnt be too hard to get going again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
JustAboutThere
Old 07-12-2012, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks guys,

I can't stop training . . . as I haven't actually done any running in a month or more (and hardly anything all year). As my clothes are definitely telling me.

A couple of other considerations (excuses?) is that (1) slightly dodgy knees, so although I can run on the Common and a treadmill OK, every step on concrete feels like I'm being stabbed in each knee. So, its either a gym session or wait for the weekend for the Common. (2) No car. I know this sounds stupid, but you have to think ahead and consider how much kit to put on / versus freezing at the bus stop before and after the run. If its on the weekend, I get to have a few more layers and put my bag in a car from someone at the club. Even in summer its still house keys, bus pass and some water.

I tend to do what I refer to as "tree running" when getting back into it. That is, run to a designated tree, walk a few trees, run to a tree (or the end of a song onthe MP3 player) and so on. Slowly, the distances get built up and I was going regularly a couple of years ago before the big gloom settled back in.

So, no 5k's in my upcoming future - and definitely not tonight as I'm meeting a few friends in a pub after work. That doesn't mean lots to drink - just a natter, and one drink. Two glasses of wine is pushing it for me.

So, I may get my kit on for Sunday, head up to the Common and even if its just a 'tootle', I'll try and give it a go. I do love it up there - even if not much of actual running gets done, at least I'm out and about and not hibernating - which sounds very enticing about this time of the year.

Last edited by JustAboutThere; 07-12-2012 at 2:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustAboutThere For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
poodlegal
Old 07-12-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey thats the spirit, how about doing your common tree running bimbles at weekend and a couple of brisk walks in the week from your door? If you could do a couple of miles brisk walking, on a hilly route it would build and strengthen your knees and help with weight loss/tone. It would also help to keep you in a routine of getting some sort of gear on and getting out. You could set yourself a challenge say to run 5 or 10k non stop in 6 weeks time or something?
# 20
mascott514
Old 07-12-2012, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Poodlegal,
Blimey, don't get me looking at ultras! Interesting though as I tend to train well but sometimes struggle to push on for the last bit of a race.

Just about There,
Sounds like a plan, and NOTHING should get in the way of a little drink here and there. Good luck with the tree running!